Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Th 350 trans doesn't engage

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by chuckshomeservices, Nov 26, 2017.

1. chuckshomeservices

chuckshomeservices
    from mass

Hey guys, my th350 trans seems to take forever to engage in the gear I select. This only happens when it has been sitting over night. Once it engages for the first time I'm good to go all day with no issues. The fluid looks fine. My question is could it be the torque converter? I don't have any history at all on the trans. Thanks for the help!

2. No, probably not the t.c. , per se, but it could be draining down overnight, due to worn bushings, etc.
    Could be taking a while to feed the forward clutch or to engage it, I suppose.
    Start it cold, and go right to reverse. What happens?

3. chuckshomeservices

chuckshomeservices
    from mass

It doesn't seem to matter if I'm in drive or reverse. If I rev it up a bit it seems to engage a bit faster

4. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Original or After Market Dip Stick?

5. chuckshomeservices

chuckshomeservices
    from mass

Original, as far as I can tell.

6. k9racer

k9racer

Go from reverse to low about 3 times this will fill the leaky converter much faster, How long ago did you service the trans. Maybe a filter change would do wonders.

7. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

..........................Ditto on a service and filter change...........................

8. trollst

trollst

hard seals.....old tranny.

9. chuckshomeservices

chuckshomeservices
    from mass

Thanks for the advice guys. I've flushed it and changed the fluid and it's still acting up. Think I'm going to pul it out this winter and get it overhauled. I drive the hell out of this car and it deserves it.