Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBF distributor gear question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocco611, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

I am currently building a 5.0 roller engine for a project and would like to use a mallory unilite vacuum advance distributor. that I have., it has a cast steel gear, does anyone know if it would be compatible with the roller cam?. I dont see where mallory makes a gear specifically for the roller cam. they sell a steel gear and a bronze gear, the steel gear appears to be the same as the one that came with the distributor.

2. I'm pretty sure that's a cast iron gear so that it's compatible with flat-tappet cams, although you should check with Mallory. You need a steel gear. You could use the bronze gear, but gear life won't be all that great.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

What he^^^^^ said!!!!!!.... Your gonna need something less than an 1/8th inch in diameter to drive the retaining pin out and a gear puller to pry the gear off...

loudbang likes this.
  4. far as i know the bronze gear wont last. i used a early ford dizzy with a cast gear on my 87 ho

loudbang likes this.

5. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

6. Another thing to consider is the oil pump drive shaft is the right lenght

loudbang likes this.
  7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Correct I have used the OEM roller gears on a few swaps . Shaft size is a touch larger on a roller gear . I bored the gear added a bushing and reamed to correct diameter . Sounds like a lot of trouble but it’s an easy task . If you don’t have the tools necessary any engine shop can easily do this for you .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.