Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Thanks Ted
    Thanks Six Ball, all pics are on the Rusty Bowtie site.

2. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

The more I keep seeing the detail pics you guys post the more I want to see every detail of all your cars. Everyone has a twist on rear set up, steering set up, frame, etc. So I'm hoping everyone posts as much as they can, I'm still up in the air on so many things as I start my 30.

3. 31chevymike

31chevymike

This is why being a member of the HAMB is so beneficial to all of us - anyone can get excellent advice to help with our builds.

37 chevy 396, r2c1, Fern 54 and 4 others like this.
  4. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Fern 54, TFoch and jgrohio like this.
  5. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Just as an update. I ordered more wood from Jim and again he had it shipped and to me quick, about 2 weeks from the day I called and sent check. Of course I'm getting lucky that the pieces I need he has in stock.

Fern 54 and 31chevymike like this.
  6. 31chevymike

31chevymike

That's great service JGR! Jim's been providing most of us Chevy owners with such needed wood parts - imagine NOT having these wood restoration shops at our disposal...

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. madmike3434

madmike3434

That's the answer to dealing with Jim or any of the others.......IS IT IN STOCK. If its a high demand body style you have a much better chance of having the items in stock and ready to ship. Its my understanding that when they produce the wood parts they make 10 pieces at once.
    mike

8. My dad started me young, very young! He owned a '32 chevy 5 window coupe since the early 60's. My first memory of the coupe did not happen until I was about 3-4yrs. old. When we went for rides he would wedge me behind the rear seat and the back roll down window (nobody used seat belts to go for rides back then). I remember watching him push in the clutch while grabbing for the short style white knob hurst shifter. I was in full view of his awesome Dash. It was an original style dash cluster which housed his black faced/white lettered old mismatched stewart warner gauges, sun super tach and a very cool white rim 3 spoke chrome steering wheel with holes in the spokes. Back then, the '32 was equipped with a '65 corvette fuelie HG coded 327/375HP small block, 4spd. trans and a 57 chevy 411 solid axle posi...this car would really haul ass with all the duntov speed equipment....I can still here those solid lifters tapping threw the windshield...On the '32, the windshield would lift up a few inches for fresh air... Funny to think about today but, he would let me help dress the tires with tire black (paint brush and all) long live tire dressings of today...God, I loved that old coupe...Check out those cool '65 Corvair tail lights! I also remember my dad going to the local lumber yard to weigh the '32, 2696 lbs. with us out of it.. That car. "The 32" is really what started me on my gearhead life as I know it today. My father, many years later sold the '32 and I still keep track the owners...waiting for my right moment to buy her back.. We got alot of catching up to do as well as introduce her to my kids....John
    P.S. The pics were taken in the late 60's, he took the fire chief in our local parade, stick on red bubble and wash off lettering! Thats my older sister, Wendy, the cool lookin' little guy is me, John Jr. and my very cool grandpa John with his '61 Chrysler parked in front of the '32...and last is my hero, my dad sitting on the rear bumper of the '32 and his stock appearing '37 plymouth, but that is a different story :) I Love this thread on the HAMB! Enjoy!

Attached Files:

9. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Pulling the last of the sill parts out, once I cut out the kickups I should be able to finish up the wood replacement. Learning process doing this with minimal metal removal.

Attached Files:

Fern 54 and 31chevymike like this.
  10. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

Ok how can I tell if this is a real vintage piece, I’ve look all over the web and can’t find another one like it? Just want to make sure it’s real...[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31chevymike likes this.
  11. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Looks like the one speedway sells but has the logo? Never saw one like it.

Fern 54, 31chevymike and Joseph Allen like this.
  12. 31chevymike likes this.
  13. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

14. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  15. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Your dad had one very cool looking Bowtie WickedJohn! I can almost swear those taillights on his '32 5 window are the same as what was on my '31 when I first purchased the coupe in '95. And I STILL do not know what they came off of till this day. Great story and thanks for sharing. Now, you know what you HAVE to do now, convince the current owners and BUY HER BACK! The '32 has a history with your family, NOT theirs - the coupe should belong to you!

Attached Files:

Fern 54 and biggeorge like this.
  16. Hello Mike,
    Thanks!....Dad used '65 Chevy Corvair tail lights...not sure what your cool looking tail lights are...maybe '62 Corvair?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Fern 54, biggeorge and 31chevymike like this.
  17. Mike, your '31 had '62 Corvair tail lights?

Attached Files:

Fern 54 and biggeorge like this.
  18. madmike3434

madmike3434

the early style TRAFFIC LIGHT VIEWER 1939--1958 Chevrolet has cuts to the plastic and is a prism. You look down , it looks up to see the light. Been running one in my 35 coupe since 1972 and would not be able to get along driving without it. Around town I would get a sore neck trying to see lights. At cruise nites/shows people are always asking me what it is.

I installed one in my phaeton and have one in the box for my roadster. Checked ebay and there are 102 traffic light viewers listed for sale, both styles. Some repo and some original .

mike lynch traffic light viewer A 51-56.jpg traffic light viewer.jpg

biggeorge likes this.
  19. John, such a cool story. I agree with Mike, you need to bring it back home, give your kids the experience and memories you had.

31chevymike likes this.
  20. 31chevymike

31chevymike

John, your post cracked a big smile on my face, finally knowing after 22 years of owning my rod where the taillights came from. Thank you! By the way, Jeff (PBRmeASAP) from the above post owns the same car as your Dad's, who by the way, acquired from HIS dad. His has been in the family since 1958!!!

biggeorge and PBRmeASAP like this.
  21. madmike3434

madmike3434

WICKED JOHN , have you talked to the now owner about selling the 32 coupe to you ?

Are they doing anything with it or it just sits there in a garage gathering dust. ??

The red phaeton in my avatar, it took me a year to convince the owner to sell me the car, thought I was a flipper who wanted to turn it over for a profit. I told him more about his car than he even imagined and convinced him I was a 35 chev enthusiast. I offered him more than it was worth to get it.

mike lynch

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  22. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Pretty quiet in here think we need some new posts

31chevymike likes this.
  23. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Agreed, we need Wicked John to re-acquire his father's '32 Chevy coupe from the present owner so he can post the changes needed for an upgrade.

Jeff or PBRmeASAP will be posting his modifications with his fuel tank to clear the quick change rear, so he can service it.

I on the other hand have my own build thread on here, but enjoy seeing other projects from other members where I can post on here. I need to purchase a new welding tank and filled with Argon/CO2 so I can finally learn how to weld.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

biggeorge likes this.
  24. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Getting the kickups and rear sill fitted in and figuring out creative ways to re anchor with minimal metal removal

Attached Files:

25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

very interesting,what timber are you using ash?.what load is on the ash?you are fitting?(woodworker by trade)

31chevymike likes this.
  26. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hey JGR, wood looks really good mounted in the body. Remember to treat your wood at some point to protect in the future. I used Thompson's Water Seal (or whatever you prefer) and it did the trick nicely, preserving my main floor for over 22 years now! Thompsons Water Seal.jpg

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is really looking nice. It is inspiring. I might be able to do that. Keep posting details as you go. Thanks

31chevymike likes this.
  28. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Yea I soaked all of it in the same.

31chevymike likes this.
  29. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

The wood is from Jim at Autowood restoration and KC its white ash. So far very minor adjustments and tweaking needed, which is surprising for a car this old and wood replacement parts made now.

31chevymike likes this.
  30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Is anyone making any new wood for a 25-26 roadster? (except me)

31chevymike likes this.