Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Why Maroon?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Fordors

Fordors

Somehow I overlooked this great thread before, but now I see the error of my ways. I always liked maroon, maybe for the same reason as a previous poster here-Honduras Maroon on a Corvette, one of the greatest colors ever left a real impression on me.
    I’ve always been a GM guy, over the years I’ve factory ordered a maroon ‘70 Nova SS, a ‘73 Cutlass S 350/4spd. and my latest DD, a ‘13 Tahoe. There have been other colors but I always gravitate toward maroon again, and the ‘32 Fordor will undergo a color change to a straight maroon, no metallic, with black fenders.
    Now that I think about it, maybe it was the maroon Monarch springer fork bicycle that started it all. There wasn’t a lot of money to go around and dad bought one bike, a boys bike for my two older sisters to share so it could be handed down to me. Naturally they hated it, but to me it was the absolute best.
    Somehow dad knew- gotta be maroon!

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Maroon and black have always been my favorite colors. If your happy with it thats all that matters.

zzford, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  3. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Love the 69 Ford maroon. Been leaning to that color for my 32 5 window build. Thanks for sharing.

SPark

4. Latigo

Latigo

Great story. Great looking Ford ( party barge)! Had a maroon 68 camaro years. Always liked the color. Good choice for the new one.

5. Maroon speaks, other colors listen.

zzford, Stogy, Bandit Billy and 2 others like this.
  6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story and one I can relate to as my father did the same thing with a 1968 LTD 4 door sedan in maroon with a black vinyl top and black interior. 390 auto. Had hideaway headlights which I thought was cool as hell. Not real fast for a big sedan but VERY comfortable to drive distance in. Loved the maroon tho!

7. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why Maroon?-----'Cause I love that color!!---Stock 1972 Ford color, add the metallic to suit you.----Don DSC02213.JPG DSC02214.JPG DSC02215.JPG DSC02216.JPG DSC02217.JPG

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My love for maroon goes back to 1969, this very impressionable 15 year old coveted the 409/4speed 63 Impala that the guy up the street owned. I always thought it was the Honduras maroon but it actually was called Palomar red.

zzford, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Good for you!!! I love Maroons. If my single seat project gets to the paint stage its going to be Ford Monsoon maroon with cream colored sclames. There again I can here it from the crowd SCLAMES why SCLAMES there hideous! Why because I like it and its my car!!

loudbang likes this.
  10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Royal Maroon, when nothing else will do!
    KK

11. L B

L B
    from So Cal

IMG_0028.JPG Maroon has the racing element of RED and the mystery of BLACK.

1932 Ford Factory Original Medium Maroon, Roadster with 1947 Kit Mfg. Teardrop Trailer

Oldbill51, 2deuces64, 30tudor and 4 others like this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I used to like maroon but then I realized that they have a tendency to look brown in certain light. Maroon is actually an anglicized version for the French word for chestnut. So I am now a strictly a Burgundy kind of guy. A little more red which does not turn brownish. That '69 Ford colour is the best maroon I've seen though. I will be painting my TR6 Regency Red which is a Jag colour. Then, when I finish my '47 Buick Super another Burgundy. One Burgundy per car won't get me pulled over for "being over the limit".

13. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

I LIKE Maroon..

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

What are the names of the maroon/Burgundy on tha Caddy and the Chev?

15. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

Caddy is a 90's Dodge truck color and the Chevy is a late 90's or early 2000 Ford color I'd have to go dig out the paint cans to tell you for sure. Tom

16. If you want Maroon then Ford Royal Maroon deserves a look. I used it in the 70's on a model A build. and loved it. In some daylight conditions it took on a red hue like this shot, but it was a classic maroon. ModelA.jpg

17. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am in the middle of painting a 66 GTO convertible Burgundy for a customer. That's what Pontiac calls it, Chevy calls it Maroon. Same color. 9N paint code . Nice color, just a hint of metallic in the sun.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  18. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Maroon can look very elegant on pre war classics, I like those cars in a darker color.
    But to quote the T shirt:
    Why? because EFFF YOU, that's why!

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Also with very vintage Halibrands!

loudbang likes this.
  20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Look at this beautiful discussion about maroon!!! This is the deck lid off a 65 Studebaker Daytona. It’s funny the comment about it looking brownish in certain light. It is true but to me it is such a old school looking colour. Perfect for a little ol coupe!!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bandit Billy, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've posted this car on several different threads, I'm sure Billy won't mind.
    This Wescott (yes) 34 roadster was put together many years ago by a friend who has passed, I really wouldn't call it maroon, more of a red/burgundy, though non mettalic which is the way many burgundys are presented.

Ok, not a great photo but this Hot Rod magazine article says it is Regency Red, it doesn't call out the application but I recall it being a Ford truck color.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0709sr-1934-ford-roadster/

[​IMG]

Here are some better shots.

20171123_214754.jpg 20171123_214909.jpg

22. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I like maroon. I keep looking at two cars I want to build. One is a 1926 Model T (tall T) and a 1931 Model A. Both have me thinking a maroon color of some sort. Also thought blue. Two different blues on the Model A.

To me. Maroon screams classic hot rod as does black.

Sent from my Z971 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Have you ever been to a Woodie meet? Half the cars are maroon.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. 54reno

54reno

Great thread, great story. I'm also looking for the right maroon for my version of the confused 32/34 truck. I would like it on the redder side.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  25. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

26. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Same Maroon - different light. Can't imagine this car any other color!! No metallic.

IMG_5490.JPG IMG_5647.JPG

27. I remember way back in the 40/50's, when I was a pup, the color was often called "oxblood". I just now Google searched the word and apparently it's all the rage again in the clothing fashion industry. Seems like those designers don't actually think up anything new. They just recycle.

28. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

29. Might as well muddy the waters with this ford truck color deep iris metallic roadster.

Attached Files:

CoronetRTguy likes this.
  30. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

Caddy is 1983 Dodge Crimson Red-- Chevy is Ford Medium Cabernet Red 1987 to 1993...