Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Plymouth Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 Dodge Pickup, Jan 29, 2015.

1. 51cambridge

51cambridge

2. Well I have been working in the garage all week so here is an update. I will be pulling the dash for final finish and paint tomorrow and installing the carpet if there's time. Enough talk here are the pics of the door panels and interior upholstery.
    IMG_0123.JPG IMG_0124.JPG IMG_0126.JPG
    It's hard to see in the pics but the door panels are a one inch seam roll a poor mans tuck and roll. I am very happy with the paint and finish of the interior.
    I also painted and installed the inner fenders that I made a while ago they really make the engine compartment pop. It was difficult to get a good angle for a pic. But the louvers look amazing in paint.
    IMG_0125.JPG

3. 51cambridge

51cambridge

4. Thank you! I am really happy with the look of the door panels they are just how I envisioned them I will have some more pics when the dash and carpet are done.

1947knuck and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. intheweeds48

intheweeds48
    from Kansas

Great project, just hope my project goes as well as yours has. Looking good, will keep watching, probably get some ideas and problems solving from your blog.

6. Thanks for the comment please don't hesitate if you have questions I will try and answer anything I can. Thank you for your interest

1947knuck likes this.
  7. Finish paint on the dash! Rewired and reinstalled carpeting and reinstalling the tranny tunnel is next. Progress is countinuing

IMG_0127.JPG IMG_0128.JPG

8. I have finally installed the carpeting yet another milestone accomplished! The pics are kind of dark I may post some more in the day light I was just to excited not to post some pics so here you go.

IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0132.JPG IMG_0133.JPG IMG_0134.JPG

1947knuck, chryslerfan55 and Dave_D like this.
  9. 51cambridge

51cambridge

10. Ok so it finally stopped raining long enough to snap a couple of daylight pictures of the interior. I also snuck out for a quick cruise just had to go for a ride as long as it was out of the garage. New interior fits like a glove and is coming out real nice for my first interior. Still have some parts to fabricate and paint I am looking forward to getting back to banging metal! I want to say Thank You very much for all of your interest in my build! Hobo Jim

IMG_0136.JPG IMG_0137.JPG IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0139.JPG

11. So this is just an update to let everyone who is following along know that I'm still working on the 37. I've been driving the Plymouth a lot trying to find the bugs in it before winter. I drove it to its first car show about 80 miles round trip car ran great but the electric fan quit on the way home no big deal temp stayed at 195 cooling system is working! I was able to show the PO what I have done and we had a really nice conversation about where I was going with the build. Stay tuned as the weather changes up north I will be back at it! Hobo Jim

1947knuck and Peanut 1959 like this.
  12. 51cambridge

51cambridge

Yup found out myself a good cooling system will cool at 5-10 mph without a fan. I did wire up a led light to tell me when the controller or relay malfunctions. Still need to wire in a manual switch.

http://www.facebook.com/CadillacRadioClassicRock

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    56 Dodge Pickup likes this.
  13. That led light is a good idea thank you for suggesting it

1947knuck likes this.
  14. 51cambridge

51cambridge

15. Just an update no pics yet. I bought a ton of 120 and 220 sandpaper and the preparation for paint has begun this will luckily include metal work so I don't lose my mind sanding. Ha Ha the progress on this project has been very steady an a lot of fun. Now that I can drive it and the interior is in I can see the finish line. I will post some pics when there is something worth posting. Have a Happy Thanksgiving! Hobo Jim

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    1947knuck, Copper Top and 51cambridge like this.
  16. Thanks to Moose! I now have a rendering to work towards I am looking at a darker green and the same cream as the interior. The paint scheme is what I think I will be going with. The first pic is the sanding progress boy are my fingers sore from all the hand sanding. 5F493EC3-4822-48C7-993B-E54F6A7A0CB6.jpeg

This is the rendering Moose did for me! I love the wheels and the wide whites I hope to have those someday! Hobo Jim

66BA7342-B013-45C1-B187-EC7AE72B55D2.jpeg

17. 51cambridge

51cambridge

18. 51cambridge

51cambridge

1947knuck and 56 Dodge Pickup like this.
  19. I remember seeing that car it has been a while. Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

20. gene-koning

gene-koning

Be very careful when you spray paint or primer around the doors or glass, it would suck to get over spray creep through the door seams or around the edges of the windows and ruin that very nice interior. That was something I discovered the hard way many years ago. Now I do body work and paint before I will do anything more then just basic interior. Gene

21. Gene you couldn’t be more correct! I have thought about this when I was doing the interior. I wanted to get something major done and enjoy the car even though it meant taking a risk in the next step by going out of order. Now hopefully I don’t have to pay for my gamble. I am looking at primer by spring as the next step so stay tuned and thank you for your very sound advice! Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  22. Mudgy

Mudgy

Hi Jim,
    Looking good mate. That rendering by Moose is real good !
    Cheers, Mudgy

23. philo426

philo426

Seats look nice!I rember my dad had a 36 Plymouth 4 door like yours and the mohair seats were awfully scratchy!

24. Thanks Mudgy Great to hear from you Mate! Are you still building yours? Stay I touch it’s always nice to hear from you!

25. Yeah I have ridden on those mohair seats you are right. Thank you for the complement on my seats I appreciate it! Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  26. philo426

philo426

Looks good. And cream and green paint scheme should look great on that car!

1947knuck and 56 Dodge Pickup like this.
  27. Thanks philo426 my wife picked the colors. I can’t color coordinate! I am looking forward to spraying color hopefully in the spring stay tuned. Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  28. philo426

philo426

Yeah and I remember how well the car ran!

29. Mudgy

Mudgy

H
    Hi Jim,
    Yes mate I'm still plugging away. I recently picked up a partly resto'd vehicle, so all the body work has been done. Couldn't pass it up ! So my Xmas time will be consumed by a body swap, then cobbling together a 2nd hand vehicle to sell. At least I can get rid of all my extra stuff in one go.
    Cheers, Mudgy

30. I was out in the garage sanding and adding some SKIM coat of filler when I started working on the trouble some rear valance. I knew this had issues when I bought the car and today was the day to find out how serious those issue were. After some exploratory hole drilling and grinding I decided the best solution would be to cut it out and make a new valance. This is what I found after 80 years of use and repair.
    Yes that’s a 1/2 an inch of bondo.
    ED779731-4563-4F16-8677-FEC4D53308E3.jpeg
    On this corner you can see where I was grinding to see how thick the bondo was. When I didn’t hit metal I knew it was time to start cutting
    0FF27A0D-473A-4CA0-A5C3-EF0D2820DFFD.jpeg

This a pic of the cleaned up hole that I will be making new steel for on the left you can see how thick the bondo is over the steel. I started roughing out the new patch panel this afternoon boy is 18 gauge much nicer to work with than the 16gauge I have been working with! Stay tuned as I will be replacing the entire valance with new metal. Hobo Jim
    692F934E-7115-4349-9932-53DC25A12F9D.jpeg

After getting tired of wearing a dust mask and grinding through all that bondo I found a hammer and chisel work much faster and cleaner for removing bondo that thick!

1947knuck likes this.