Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Cadillac engine number

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodderbilly, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Hi all hambers friends,was looking on web for info about my Cadillac engine story,i know for sure is a 365 but don't know for sure the year ,probably '57? i read some numbers,the one on front of right head is 5768133737 ,another number on left rear side is 73x184816...one number on block near rear valley is 7464819....can you help me to know what they mean..what car?sure '57?where can i search?thanks for all helps......Tony

2. Is the first number you posted on the front of the right head? Or is it stamped on the top of the block in front of the right head? If it's stamped on the top of the block it's the engine serial number and since it begins with "57" that would indicate that it's a '57 engine.

rodderbilly likes this.
  3. is stamped on the front of right head....the other is on rear left side of block,,looking on web i read that first 2 numbers are of the year so 57 ....other 2 numbers indicate the car series,mine says 68 but what car was the 68 series?there was 62 series.....and 68? rest of numbers are engine sequence production....

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1950/cad57s.htm
    • Serial numbers and engine numbers were the same again.
    • They appeared
      • on a boss on the front right hand face of the engine block;
      • on the lubrication plate on the left front door pillar (1953-1957)
      • and on the right frame side member behind the motor support.
    • The first pair of symbols were "57" to designate the model year.
    • The next two symbols indicated series as follows:
      • "62" = Series 62 including Eldorado Specials
      • "60" = Series 60 Fleetwood
      • "70" = Series 70 Eldorado Brougham
      • "75" = Series 75 Fleetwood
    • The immediately following numbers, beginning at 00000 for each series, indicated the production sequence in consecutive order.
    • Ending numbers were the same for all series since the engines were installed in mixed production fashion.

warbird1 and rodderbilly like this.

5. The 73X184816 stamped on the left rear of the block is the "Engine Unit Number" which is also useful for identifying the engine. But I don't have this info. for the 365's so can't help with this... sorry.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy