Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I used to go to Orange County Fairgrounds on Saturday nights in Middletown, New York and almost ever time I went Buzzie was there winning and for a long time I thought they lived up north until a good friend told me they lived in New Jersey during the summers so they could race at Middletown which paid more money for a win then they could make in Florida.

They raced there for years during the 60's and 70's
    Jimbo

3. jroberts

jroberts

[​IMG]
    Street racing on the brick streets........

4. MMM RED

MMM RED

Looks like Cobble Hill, Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Probably know a few of these guys but memory fading

5. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

Ahh - the joys of riding in the back of a station wagon! Unfettered by hot, sticky vinyl seats on a hot summer day; the rush of air (including exhaust fumes) coming in through the lift gate, shooting your cap pistol at imaginary bandits in following cars - GOOD TIMES!

6. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

And it survives today; after sitting derelict for decades at Kelly AFB in San Antonio the Air Force dismantled it and moved it first to Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio, then to Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson. Unfortunately it's so badly corroded it's not likely to be restored in the forseeable future. Corrosion never sleeps...

7. NewportNic

NewportNic

Gaylord, Michigan "The Alpine Village"
    [​IMG]
    Wawa, Ontario, Lake Superior Circle Route
    [​IMG]
    Waterford, Michigan
    [​IMG]

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Interesting, I didn't know Tom McEwen ever drove the Albertson Olds, I did push-start it once in my Brothers '60 Chevy.

9. olio mattore

olio mattore

red foreman says:"it's a vista cruiser...you can literally cruise vistas with it!!!"[​IMG][/QUOTE]

hendelec and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

11. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

1943 Racetrack Parking lot 1943 Racetrack parking lot.jpg

12. Danny Brown

Danny Brown

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

This post got lost in the big freeze of 111517...
    Jnaki

upload_2017-11-22_7-20-40.png upload_2017-11-22_7-20-50.png
    upload_2017-11-22_7-21-1.png
    Hello,

Being upstart teenagers, we were into drag racing of all kinds. When we were told that Art Afrons was bringing the Green Monster out west to Lions, we could not miss this event. We were fighting for a front row position on the spectator’s side low fence. That was a ring side seat for us.

If I had a zoom lens, the movies would have been life size. But, we cope with what we have. It was a great place for an all day stay, as our 58 Impala was right behind us full of a cooler of my mom’s great cooking. But, it was still a short walk to get those famous, "Lions Pits" hot dogs and drinks.

The Green Monster was an unusual set up, not anything like all of the other dragsters that were racing during this time period. It looked like a pure homemade race car. (It was) The sound was like an airplane because it was an Allison V-12 airplane motor.

Jnaki

It was an impressive feat, but we all still liked the 671 blown hemi sound coming out of the other dragsters at Lions. (Like the Sidewinder, Chet Herbert Cam Special and Glen Stokey.) now, that was impressive. But the Green Monster made a name for its accomplishments.

GREEN MONSTER TOTAL

14. My dad used to take my brother and I to Thompson in the mid to late 50's. We'd perch up on the hill while dad went down below to work with a neighbor who raced his Chrysler / Allard. Fascinating days there for a couple of elementry school aged kids. I loved the intoxicating smell of racing fuel and hot Castrol oil. I clearly remember wathcing XK 120's and 56-59 Corvettes dual it out. Dad hauled us every weekend to autocross events, stock car races, hill climbs, rallys and any other thing dealing with cars. A life time of cars then followed us.

15. Yup!

loudbang likes this.
  16. Grey brothers, Burkburnett, Texas.
    [​IMG]

17. The Brainerd Victory was launched from Oregon Shipyards in St Johns on September 12, 1945 and was fully completed November 1945. Photo from Oregon Maritime Museum.
    [​IMG]

18. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Eddie Sachs wins a midget feature in the first photo. Is that at Cincinnati, Rootie?

The second photo shows Bobby Unser's Novi after he T-boned a spinning Ebb Rose in Practice for the 1965 Indianapolis 500.

loudbang and Speedwrench like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.