Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BRIAN MADE ME DO IT: 34 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Not just any old bourbon either, smooth as silk bonded bourbon such as Old Fitzgerald! :D

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hahahahahahaha! It's easy for me to pick a color for your top! I say tan with the beautiful maroon paint. And since I've already seen your car in mock up with the tan top on. ;-)

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That does make it a bit easier. :cool: I haven't seen an update on your decision.

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Dam you move right along when you get your mojo working.

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  5. Brian made you do it, :D it's fun watching both builds so close to the end.
    The two of em would make for a great pic together. Maybe One of the Photoshop guys could come up with something when both cars are complete. ;)

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

They're close, but miles (a continent) apart. They're untraditional, traditional cars, built by two guys who build what they want, not what somebody else says we should want. I don't know for sure about Billy, but I think they're both the "dream cars" we've been building in our heads for decades. Mine certainly is.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Today it's going to be black. I gotta get the material ordered, so the "final" decision will be when I order topping, wire -on and welting to make it. :)

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I couldn't "like" your comment three times so I broke it down a bit.

It is my dream car...my wife on the other hand is probably thinking it is a nightmare. Like that fat guy on Jurassic Park, "I spared no expense".
    upload_2017-11-21_11-12-7.png

Mine is as untraditional as it gets, not much "Henry" other than the block of the flatty. I didn't even know this "traditional" stuff existed until I found salvation in the HAMB. "Hallelujah brother!". I was saved Sept 16th, 2014 when I had an Alliance tag riveted to my forehead.

As it frickin should be! I'm willing to live and die by own choices and I don't just mean my cars. Backbone, conviction and grit may be the most traditional tools men should own.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go with the Flow!
    Here are the pictures this morning with some fresh clear flow coated over the sanded body.
    flow coat 1.jpg
    flow coat 4.jpg
    flow coat 3.jpg
    That is so deep, by state law there should be a fence around it and a life guard standing by.

Body is being moved back to my garage tomorrow by rollback, we will un-load the car and load up the frame and send it down to the paint booth for the same treatment.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Man...it just keeps getting better. Great build.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  11. It doesn't look like it needs it, but is a cut and buff planned for that still?

loudbang likes this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is :cool:. Even the painter wanted to add some metal flake to the color, he said it needed some "grille"...I think that was an urbanic reference to fancy teefs
    upload_2017-11-21_11-48-30.png
    I told him nothing in my opinion beats a flat, deep, solid color. Like white on teeth.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow Billy, that looks outstanding, and that hood, that's so Shexy!
    I dig primer as much as the next guy (on the right car), this is not that car.
    If you ever need to remove that tag from your forehead.......don't ask your wife to help.
    If you do we don't want to see the results.:eek:

[​IMG]

14. Does seeing that invoke an urge to watch or maybe even cause someone turn red and then blue as they choke on diamonds or is it just me?:p:D

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to my wife there are many, many, many things that I fail to understand. I have to agree on the matter of diamond encrusting ones teeth. It is like using drawer pulls to adorn a cars grille...but worse, much, much worse.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

But not that much worse!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Stunning. Maybe I shoulda painted mine maroon...;-)

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wrote that one just for you!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And you have no idea how long I wrestled with painting mine black! My wife still thinks it should have been black.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, a question while I have your undivided attention. How do I protect my title numbers stamped in my frame during painting? I have them stamped all 3 times and I don't want them buried in primer and paint.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am running out of room for car parts. I filled the floor beneath my pool table now I am down to using the felt for storage. The humanity!
    upload_2017-11-21_21-59-31.png
    I know many will not approve but here is the inner fenders painted to match the firewall and the underside of the hood. Kinda crazy but that pretty much sums up this build
    upload_2017-11-21_22-1-28.png
    That extra piece is the glove box door that I heavily customized to fit eh dash in a previous thread. The hoops you see inside the factory body line are to hold my wiring harness for the engine and my headlights, etc. Enough room for over an inch of wiring that no one will ever see but covered in cloth in case they peak. I loved 34 fords!

Plan twice, paint once.

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those of you counting, that is a 9 foot tourney table. If you come to visit, bring your lunch money.

RockinRivi, kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Next you'll be tell'n us to BYOB.

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got yer B buddy. 46

Chavezk21, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cut a short strip off of an old magnetic dash plaque.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  26. most of the time, around here anyway, the numbers show thru on their own unless you try to burry and fill them and block sand over them. The stamping process created an impression and a corresponding high spot around the impression.

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  27. i epoxy coat the frame, tape off the numbers during the filler primer process, then untape, sand the edges without cutting the epoxy, then paint.

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are stamped three times on the frame, not too worried about the ones under the car but obviously I don't want them buried. Thanks for the tips, I will apply them ASAP.

chryslerfan55 likes this.