Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hoggers 13000 mile road trip coast to coast.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hogger, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Hogger

Hogger
    from Carvel AB

Well the original thread and my first, ended in the trash bin of the epic crash last weekend, dont know if my thread caused it lol so I will start all over.

Background: Around 104 of us older cars most with trailers left on a cross country cruise that started in Victoria BC and ended in St John's NL Canada. That was the official part of the tour and then we had to get back home in Alberta, Canada. We accomplished the return trip south of the boarder through Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Michigan, Wisconsin, N Dakota and back into Canada. adventure begins 50.jpg

leaving home 50.jpg This us leaving home June 15 2017, the start of the 95 day adventure. We ventured west to our destination of Victoria BC along with my daughters dog and cat our grand critters, to return them to my daughters home on the west coast. Hank and Roxy in 50.jpg Hank on seat 50.jpg roxette and 50.jpg They travelled great.
    pot of gold 50.jpg This is the sign of a great trip ahead. As mentioned before the trip lasted 95 days consumed $4700.00 of fuel and only 2 minor mechanical glitches I will describe in the days to come. This thread will be picture heavy and have some non HAMB friendly vehicles but I hope it entertains .

Stogy, mgtstumpy, john worden and 5 others like this.
  2. It would be best to omit the off topic cars least you get reported and the thread ends up being deleted,I personally am looking forward to the epic adventure. HRP

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Clay Belt and Hogger like this.
  3. I'll follow along.

Hogger likes this.
  4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Ok lets get going on this adventure!

Hogger likes this.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm tagging along also, and let's hope that if any OT stuff shows up in a pic that the moderator(s) will understand that NOTHING IS MORE TRADITIONAL THAN A ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!

6. Good luck be safe.

Hogger and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Watching

Hogger likes this.
  8. chopped

chopped

Sort of made that trip myself so I'll tune in. Detroit to Vancouver (Washington) in a 60 Chevy (it was in 64. Other than that, same trip.

Hogger likes this.
  9. barnsearcher

barnsearcher
    from Ohio

Road trip!! ..... need I say more? Ill be watching this thread for sure

Hogger likes this.
  10. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

I'm in. Ever since I bought my 46 Chevy Coupe I have been working toward big road trips I have been working on improvements on durability & safety toward this goal. I have a couple more that hopefully will be finished by the end of this year and I plan on making next year filled with a bunch of road trips.
    A couple of months after I bought the car in 2013 he old 216 inline six cylinder bit the dust and I replaced it with a hopped up 235 six.
    Since 2015 to date I have gone on 6 vintage car tours totaling around 2,700 including tour millage as well as round trip millage from home to the tour & back as I do not trailer the 46. Then a trip to Decatur Tx for swap meet with a Pate swap meet director's meeting included of about another 700 miles - total around 3,450. Then all my daily driving millage around here.
    Next year I am looking for sure at 3 vintage car tours + two trips to swap meet directors meetings + to the swap meet & back. In addition I am looking into a several week vacation tour sometime in early fall next year about time it starts to get a bit cooler.
    All of this is exactly what I had in mind when I purchased the Coupe. It has air & heat & trailer hitch and I have a small teardrop camper to take. I spent a week in the teardrop last year at Pate but on that trip did not pull with the Coupe as I had to haul too much. It was tight fit for me & took a bit of getting accustomed to as all my previous trailers were big. I have not pulled the teardrop enough with the Coupe to determine fuel millage yet but car by itself is nearing 22 MPG driving at 65 MPH with original tranny.
    Also I do not know if I will encounter cooling issues with the teardrop & as I can easily move my radiator forward 5/8" without cutting anything (just adding spacers) I plan to do that and replace the original low profile steel fan with a 5 or 6 blade steel fan for more airflow as I have installed the A/C condenser already and I am going to go to a T 350 auto tranny and add a tranny oil cooler in front of everything.
    I envy you on your trip as that was some awesome miles with the trailer.
    Jimmie

Hogger likes this.
  11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DWhat a trip.I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Hogger likes this.
  12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I'll go along for the ride!
    KK

13. Hogger

Hogger
    from Carvel AB

Ok time for an update: and my reason for this thread, I have most enjoyed Bob K's and b-bops road trips on hear to name a few.

first night 300 miles under our belt, Valemount BC hwy 16 and hwy 5. Valemount BC.jpg Valemount BC1.jpg Next day continue onto Cache Creek BC
    cachecr 50.jpg After this onto Vancouver and ferry ride to Vanc Isl. Nanaimo Camp 50.jpg Not a bad spot and view for a prairie boy. We dropped the grand critters off at their home and toured the Island for a week prior to the start of the tour. The tour was part of the a cross county tour that happens every 10 years and has since 1967 Canada's 100th birthday, our tour was for Canada's 150th birthday. The name of the group is called Canadian Coasters. The tours start on either coast alternating between the two, for example if it starts East one time next it will start form the West. Our itinerary has our destination each night so you are on your own to get to that days destination as to not create a traffic jam on the various roads.

Once we arrived at the initial meeting place in Saanich BC we got acquainted with other tour members and since I can only post a max of 30 pics per post I will leave this one with some pics of other tour members. cruz 24 50.jpg cruz 29 50.jpg cruz 30 50.jpg cruz 32 50.jpg cruz 36 50.jpg cruz 50.jpg cruz1 50.jpg cruz2 50.jpg cruz3 50.jpg cruz5 50.jpg cruz6 50.jpg cruz7 50.jpg cruz8 50.jpg cruz9 50.jpg cruz10 50.jpg cruz11 50.jpg cruz12 50.jpg cruz13 50.jpg cruz14 50.jpg cruz15 50.jpg cruz18 50.jpg cruz19 50.jpg cruz20 50.jpg

48fordnut, mgtstumpy, 40LUV and 6 others like this.
  14. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Thanks Hogger, I am in for the rest of the ride.:cool:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. I'm in. Looks like fun so far.:D

Hogger and lothianwilly71 like this.
  16. impala4speed

impala4speed

Had subscribed to your original thread and wondered what happened. Thanks for posting this again.

Hogger and hotrodharry2 like this.
  17. I'm in ! :)

lothiandon1940 and Hogger like this.
  18. phat rat

phat rat

That 57 retractable towing a trailer with the connie kit is different

Hogger likes this.
  19. Man that's quite the road trip and towing a trailer to boot, pretty cool.

Hogger likes this.
  20. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

What is the little peach colored ute thingamabob? I like that.

Hogger likes this.
  21. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I’m in also! I’ve always wanted to do trip like this. For now following yours will have to do! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Kewl.

I was looking forward to following your thread and then we had a time shift. Glad you are willing to start over for us!

Hogger likes this.
  23. Hogger

Hogger
    from Carvel AB

Its an Austin.

lothiandon1940 and shivasdad like this.
  24. Hogger

Hogger
    from Carvel AB

Well some more of the rigs at the start cruz21 50.jpg cruz22 50.jpg cruz23 50.jpg cruz25 50.jpg cruz26 50.jpg cruz27 50.jpg cruz28 50.jpg cruz31 50.jpg cruz33 50.jpg cruz34 50.jpg cruz35 50.jpg cruz37 50.jpg cruz38 50.jpg cruz39 50.jpg cruz40 50.jpg cruz41 50.jpg cruz42 50.jpg cruz43 50.jpg cruz43a 50.jpg cruz44 50.jpg more to come then on with the trip.

mgtstumpy, swade41 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Hogger

Hogger
    from Carvel AB

and since I have a little more time more from the beginning cruz45 50.jpg cruz46 50.jpg cruz47 50.jpg cruz48 50.jpg cruz49 50.jpg cruz50 50.jpg cruz51 50.jpg cruz52 50.jpg cruz53 50.jpg cruz54 50.jpg cruz55 50.jpg cruz56 50.jpg Once we had our initial banquet we got ready to leave Vancouver Island. We dipped our rear wheels in the Pacific Ocean with the intention of dipping our front wheels in the Atlantic Ocean Wheel dipp Pacific 50.jpg Then onto the BC Ferry to leave Leaving Vanc Isl 50.jpg

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, lothiandon1940 and 40LUV like this.
  26. Hogger

Hogger
    from Carvel AB

50 and bigfoot.jpg My wife does quilting while I play in the shop, this is a square she made for the quilt that was on our bed in the trailer for the trip 50 Quilt.jpg

27. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

So that forward control dodge display case thingamajiggy is just the berries. I bet they gather a crowd like a crime scene every time they stop!

28. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Thanks for the id. I'm enjoying your trip with the others.

29. Hogger

Hogger
    from Carvel AB

I called it Hemi under glass, as the car they hauled was Hemi powered, also the unit was a self contained camper, diesel powered to boot.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. Hogger

Hogger
    from Carvel AB

I haven’t forgot but life got in the way will post the rest soon.

firstinsteele likes this.