Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1937 Dodge pickup need info incl. worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Hunter, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Just looked at this 37 (I believe) Dodge pickup. Been sitting for years. Last started about 5 years ago. Home made bed. Looks to be a mopar small block? Automatic. Obviously an older build showing some smaller rust bubbles at bottom cowl. Missing very lower part of middle grille. Is it a separate piece? Anyway, family has no idea, so is hesitant to sell. I thought I'd show them this thread with some "pro" opinions. Is the pic enough to tell what the motor is? Did these have rain gutters? If so, they've been shaved. Will probably have to go through brakes and fluids. Any help is appreciated. 20170622_121455 (3).jpg 20170622_121216 (2).jpg 20170622_121344 (2).jpg 20170622_121434 (2).jpg 20170622_121603 (2).jpg

2. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

I had a 37 Dodge pickup,parts are not easy to find. The grill looks like a 36 and yes the center is a separate piece,good luck finding that,I had a friend make me a suitable replacement. The cab should have rain gutters. Overall looks workable if you can get it right. Does it run now? You don't see many of these around. This is the one I built. DSC00608.JPG

3. Yep....1936.

john worden likes this.
  4. brad2v

brad2v

And indeed, small block Mopar. 318/340/360 are visually the same, although that exhaust manifold leads me to think 318 or 360. But, who knows. Value? Much depends on location, Around here, 10-15k, without looking it over

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

What kind of suspension is under it?

6. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Will get more info on suspension soon.

7. earlymopar

earlymopar

As 31Dodger stated, that is a 1936 (not a 37'). The grill and the dash are the real identifiers. The bed sides look strange to odd without the side pockets which also act as stiffeners and those are available from a few sources since they were used on both Dodges and Studebakers. There are new $400 tailgates available that would be a big plus over the wood version on the truck now but it may be a non-standard size given the home made bed. Are the fenders and running boards steel or glass? The trimmed drip rails are not real complimentary so not sure why those were cut off. The bottom section of the center grill is the crank hole cover. Reproductions are available for $900 or you can make a simple filler piece that doesn't follow the original design for far less. The windshield appears to be something other than original and is just a piece of cut glass that has been set into the recess in the cab. This was done often since windshield frames were often rotted and hard to find. 10 years ago or so, there was a business on the east coast that made nice original style windshield frames for 1936 and 1937 pickups (different between these 2 years). Given this is a a Dodge and not a Ford (or Chevy), parts are not as available. I had a 37' and made many of my own parts.

- EM

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

Had a 37 with a 401 buick . Bought it cheap and finished it . Got 12k for it 15 years ago.

9. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have been looking for parts for mine for 4 years, never found a nice grill yet. Good luck with it.
    Tony

10. earlymopar

earlymopar

I have a few extra pieces remaining from mine but no grill pieces. I believe I have an original "drawer pull" assembly with handles and a restored hinge pin mirror. Maybe I should dig more given the time that has passed since I did mine. There may be some surprises. -EM

11. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

IMHO: The rams head would have to go! As well as the ram taillights. I would put rain gutters back on it. Other than that nice truck.

12. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

Have this 36 cab for sale on the HAMB now. Also has extra dash. JOHN

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. jonrbrt

jonrbrt
    from Indiana

You can check out my 37 Plymouth PT50 project here www.37plyguy.com I have patch panels and other parts for these trucks.

14. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

[email protected] located in east central California has Dodge truck salvage. Very helpful in the restoration of the 37 DB in my shop.
    I purchased a roof section and cowl vent section, dash panel and misc. small parts from him.
    I fabricated a replica grill crank hole cover and had the complete assembly plated by Wrights Custom Chrome in Grafton Ohio.
    I'll be building a new box (all steel one year only) soon using the original stake pockets, new tailgate and front panel.
    Red cab is a 38 Plymouth. 102_2281.JPG new crank hole cover.JPG 37 DB air deflector.JPG Picture 073.jpg Picture 071.jpg

classiccarjack likes this.
  15. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Hi John,

Do you have a way of making another crankhole cover?
    Sent from my SM-G986U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Wash it, detail it to the max, make it run, go and stop. Make sure everything works. If it's got a MII suspension under it all the better. Way more buyers out there that would consider that a big plus. Hold out for 30/35k. Anything less and they'll just be giving it away.

17. lemondana

lemondana
    from Lincoln NE

From the engine picture, I do not see any kickdown linkage present. If so-the transmission is probably close to the end of it's life, in other words-toast!