Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to jack up the rear end on my 48 Plymouth for that Old school Rake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DOCWHIT, Nov 19, 2017.

1. DOCWHIT

DOCWHIT

Ok, not sure if this is a good idea or not, but I want to do it.... But would like advice first.
    I want to do an old school lift to the rear end (at least 6") for a pretty drastic rack on my 48 Plymouth 2 door sedan.
    Everyone drops all four sides, but I want that old 50's raked look with the front lowered and the ass end up high.
    I do hate to jeopardize the great stock ride she has now (where she floats over RR tracks & down the road)
    I do not want the front lowered w/drop spindles, cutting & welding, etc..
    I know about cutting the springs... But can I raise the rear enough to leave the front alone?? Make sense?
    I want way more rack than the photo below... The second photo is the current stance of mine (she's currently going thru a rebuild)

Thanks,
    Michael
    USAF, Retired
    926272022.jpg my48.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Long shackles and air shocks is how it was done in the 60's and 70's.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

DOCWHIT likes this.
  3. As greybeard said.

DOCWHIT likes this.
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Nobody around here ever raked a car by raising the rear other than filling the wheel wells full of 8.20 rubber. The "rake" is achieved by dropping the front as far as your nerve & local law enforcement will allow.
    There is the '70s "competition rake" with the foot long shackles & spring wedges - maybe that's what you want - but it don't make any sense with a '48 Plymouth ...

Bondo Slinger, DOCWHIT and Hnstray like this.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Don't get carried away... a89e8f0d0a566ac662c13132bb7d9f86.jpg

mgtstumpy and Texas Webb like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

easy way to get a serious lift is to put the axle under the springs. You'll really screw up the car if you do that, though.

Some day, I'd like to see just one guy, content to leave the ride height alone on his old car.

7. DOCWHIT

DOCWHIT

Thanks guys for all your input!!!
    Yeah Big Duece that's way to extreme. LOL
    Well after all this advice squirrel I may just be that one guy!! If & when I need replace the rear shocks I may add air shocks BUT in all honesty this girl rides way to smooth to change anything. "If it ain't broke" theory..
    I'll just go back to concentrating on getting her back on the road & work out her dents, trim, etc vs. a rake.
    And like 302GMC stated it really doesn't make sense on a 48 Plymouth.
    Thanks again! And I have to add a photo of her rebuilt motor I just got back in her last week.
    Pretty good I think for a stage 2 shade tree mechanic... 48EngineInstalled.jpg

8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

If you do decide to jack up the rear end, make sure to get the front end aligned afterwards.

DOCWHIT likes this.
  9. oldolds

oldolds

Take your rear springs to a spring shop. Have them re-arched. 6 inches will be a bit much. Put a jack under the frame to lift it, you will see what I mean. 2-4 inches is all you need, my opinion. East coast cars usually left the front near stock height, we didn't have those nice smooth west coast roads.

flynbrian48, Zerk and DOCWHIT like this.
  10. Engine looks good,any mods?

11. DOCWHIT

DOCWHIT

A few, I had the engine completely rebuilt, had it bored .40 over, added Langdon Stovebolt's dual exhaust manifold & a custom George Asche Jr dual intake/carb setup & a few other small items. Now if i can only remember how to reconnect the tranny linkage I'll have her back on the road soon. LOl

12. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Mine had air shocks on the back when I bought. I cut one coil out of the front springs. That is as much as you want to take out. It will bottom on a hard bump with that. I think in the photo I had some air in the rear shocks. Not more than one or two inches up in back. I do have smaller tires in front than back. It is a pretty good system. Not as good as Pinto front or even lowered spindles but it drives well. The best mod. I made though is disk brakes in front oh yeah power steering.

SANY0014.jpg

DOCWHIT and squirrel like this.
  13. I was 15 years old and broke with very limited mechanical skills. Took 2 white birch logs and shoved them in between the axle and frame kickup of my '50 Plymouth coupe. Looked killer but the ride wasnt too comfortable.

DOCWHIT likes this.