Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody use Swagelok fittings on their Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krupanut, Feb 8, 2005.

1. krupanut

krupanut

Ramjet,
    Can you give me specifics?
    What end connections where?

For example what thread goes into the Mustang II calipers?
    NPT?
    Do you use compression fittings on the other end?

Thanks again guys, y’all are really helping out my project!

2. dixiedog

dixiedog

Krupanut - Most of the fittings I used in treatment and instrumentation work is IPT x Tube adapters. On my old Willys I ran all the fuel lines with 3/8" and bushed up to go the carb bowl. For flex I wanted to use a braded stainless hose but didnt want to spend $60 so went with reg fuel hose. The brakes on the doggbucket are going to be ran and will probably get some bulk head fittings to convert to flex at the axles.

I also used a lot of Parker stuff and to be honest liked it little better since there is only one ferrel to loose (sorry) but Swagelok does have a better selection of fittings and valves.

Some of the largest I used was 1 1/4" thru fittings to run tubing thru as an acid injection into a water pipe, after 3 days the 98% sulfuric ate the end of the tubing completely off - had to get one milled from teflon.

3. krupanut

krupanut

I'll just pretend I didn't read that! :D

The reason Swagelok fittings are two a ferrule design is the make and brake factor.
    You can make up the connection and take it apart a million times and it will never fail.

I'll be the first to admit that Swagelok is over kill for allot of automotive applications.

There is a reason it is expensive stuff, it's the best you can buy.

4. Dan

Dan

so is a "swagelock" fitting the one that the gas hose on my mig welding regulator is attached too? the one that busted and I couldnt find a replacement so I had to buy a whole new god dammed regulator??? if that is a swagelock fitting would any of you guys that work for them be able to sell a few of the proper size for my regualtor so if one breaks again I dont have to buy another regulator???? thanks-

5. krupanut

krupanut

I don’t know Dan?
    Was it a Swagelok fitting?
    Swagelok is a brand name, best know for the two ferrule compression fitting, so allot of times people will call a fitting of this type a Swagelok when in fact it is a not.
    It’s like saying give me a Coke, when you’re in fact drinking a Pepsi.
    If you couldn’t find a replacement I doubt it was.

Most mig regulators are CGA type fittings and allot of the time cheap ones from China.
    CGA are not standard in the Swagelok product line. (although they will make them)

Give me some specs; what are the end connections on the fitting?
    What size thread goes into the Regulator and what connects it to the gas hose on the other end?
    If it’s something I can get I’ll send you one.

6. Dan

Dan

I'll have to look, the one side had small threads that threaded into the regulator and the other side you just push the hose into it and it is captured, I will try and get some more details for you...

7. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I used to be a Swagelok dealer when I worked in the Oilfield Supply industry about 2 yrs ago, here in Corpus Christi. We sold more Swagelok stuff than any other brand. Mostly used in oilfield production (post drilling), but also sold to the local refineries and I&E contract companies. When I worked in the refinery for a shutdown a few weeks ago, I probably installed more Swagelok fittings than I needed to, haha.

My dad has been working at a local refinery for the past 25yrs, my younger brother is a temp. contractor there, and I work the shutdowns in the instrument/valve shop... needless to say, Swagelok fittings are in heavy supply at the ol' Johnson house!

I used Swagelok to plumb the brake lines on my ol '30 Model A Tudor, and just recently as fuel lines & brakes lines for the '54 Ford & '61 Ranchero. Also Boost Gauge supply line, & Wastegate control line on the Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel are fitted with Swagelok.

:)

8. krupanut

krupanut

Kind of like a Chinese finger torture deal? Push the hose in and you can’t pull it out without pushing in on it again?

Yep, it’s not Swagelok. I get calls for those fittings all the time; I wish we did carry them.

Most are a product called "Pushlock" and I think they are a Parker fitting.

Let me know what the small thread is and what the O.D. of the hose is and I might had a better option that will never break on ya. ;)

9. Rusty

Rusty

Use them at Texas Instruments. Always wondered if they would be good for the hot rods. Glad to know they work

10. soldermonkey

soldermonkey

I have used "Swageloc fittings fot 3000 PSI hydraulic plumbing in sizes from 1/4 inch thru 1.5 inch and never had a leak or problem. Some of these were used on 5000 PSI stainless 1 inch dia and never a failure. We also used "Parker fittings for lower pressure "O" ring seal applications and were satisfied but they are not as easy to use IMHO. One word of caution, we tried to use "TY-LOC" fittings one time to save a little money and found that even though they looked like Swageloc fittings they required considerable more pressure to effect a seal and we ended up replacing them with Swageloc fittings because of leaks and tubing distortion at the swage.
    I have not found a product as good as Swageloc for hydraulics and will gladly pay the difference in cost for peice of mind.

dave

11. madscientwist

madscientwist
    from kansas

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to Swagelok, try BiLok fittings. They look and perform exactly the same in my experience and are totally interchangable. They also cost about 40-50% less.

12. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

I worked in oil and gas measurment and we used them dailey...I also have used alot of the 3/8 stuff in Airbag applications with stainless Tubing

13. Zor

Zor
    from Phoenix

I use them on all sorts of stuff at work. But it's a nuclear powered engine room so it's not so much the hobby industry. They do work like a charm.

14. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

We use them on our exhaust gas temp probes that are installed on our aircraft engines. If you use them in a hi-temp condition make sure you use some anti-seize on the threads/taper. We have over 300,000 flight hours on them with no failures...

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I know this is an old thread but it's a good topic to bump on occasion.

I used Swagelok fittings on the fuel system in my '57, and it has been absolutely bulletproof in the years that I've had it together. I will use them again on my current build.

I'm reluctant to use them when plumbing a brake system because I know utilizing a "compression" fitting is improper in brake/high pressure applications. However, I'm well aware that Swageloks are not a standard compression fitting and are rated for several times the maximum pressure a brake system will experience, so there is a substantial safety factor. I've had flared fittings leak, especially when I'm trying to flare stainless lines which get brittle. I've never had a Swagelok leak. I'd love to see some pics of brake lines plumbed with them and how your experience has been.

belair likes this.
  16. 48stude

48stude

I'm using them ,but I polished them up a bit to kill the industrial look. Bill
    P1020305.JPG P1020301.JPG

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  17. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I've used them on every system except brake lines, they work well and are trouble free.
    If they are good enough for use in a nuclear power plant they are damn sure good enough for use in a hot rod.

18. I used them on a cng transfer tank I made at work. I used thier valves and fittings.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

48stude likes this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm not sure if Swagelok fittings are DOT approved for use on vehicles.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Most interesting thread.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. Swagelok valves are being used to replace the original rotary valves in the air bag system in the the classic 73-78 GMC Motorhomes. I need to make up one of these for mine:
    [​IMG]

23. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Don't forget Ty-Lok and Parker also make the same systems. For those who use McMaster Carr

24. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I worked in a paper mill for 25 years as a pipefitter and used 1000's of Swagelock fitting. To say that they never leak is an absurd statement as I've fixed numerous leaks. Most of the leaks could be traced to improper installation, but I do know of one engine fire because the fuel line leaked at the carburetor and caught fire. I personally wouldn't use them on brake lines or fuel lines.

Blue One likes this.
  25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Offhand, I can't think of any mechanical devices that work as intended when improperly installed........

Ray

belair and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. liljoe

liljoe
    from detroit

A19261D6-C2BE-4DD7-9725-A6C10A2AD883.jpeg 1491DDA3-BFD6-4213-A723-72573B70A8C1.jpeg 0D5326B6-D047-40C3-A4B9-883FEC13DC39.jpeg Used them for fuel and brake last 2 cars

Xman, 57JoeFoMoPar and winduptoy like this.
  27. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

1946Caddy>>>Most of the leaks could be traced to improper installation>>>

Absolutely! I've personally had a lotta leaks with double-flares due to my double-flaring incompetence and cheap KD double flaring outfit. But gimme Swagelok fittings, stainless tubing and two crescent wrenches, and I can guarantee no brakeline leaks on my wheels. 8^) Jack e/NJ

Hnstray likes this.
  28. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

29. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The Nuclear industry. you have to be certified to use them in critical applications. There is a gage that is inserted to proper tighten. They should never leak if installed properly. Aluminum blue AN fittings with SS lines? what a joke.

550Coupe, 1946caddy and belair like this.
  30. belair

belair

Good info. Thanks for bringing back, Joe.

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.