Register now to get rid of these ads!

REAL Wheelstander underconstruction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemiwheelstand, Sep 30, 2012.

1. You got big balls for building such a machine. Just when you think you've seen it all. My hat's off to you, sir.

loudbang likes this.
  2. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello,I have know idea what kind of money I could make doing wheelies.That isn't the point.........well not right know anyway.Could be a lot ,could be a little, but as I have gone year after year working on this thing with practically no money it has become a larger test of my own will just to get it finished,and when it sees a track for the first time, I win.
    But ,back to the money thing,yes I would say that there is some money to be made at this.Will it support me ,maybe? Me with a family? Me trying to explain to my future wife why I need a 9K$ Donovan block with a 3K$ crank might be a good show by itself. But I am a glass half full person and changing my life greatly this past year so all options are open,except staying in the northeast,the northeast sucks.
    Chris

Baron and loudbang like this.
  3. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Thank you.

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatever you do don't move to California. Yes, lots of car stuff but the state is going to Hell in a hand basket. Too many regulations, sky high taxes, and a state legislature that thinks the answer to everything is more taxes. JMHO.

slack likes this.
  5. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello,actually I am looking at the latitudes between Flagstaff and Pheonix.Although I am running more than a month behind on the timetable I set for my self,do to some unexpected engine troubles with my hemi.
    The plan was get truck to run then stuff it in a trailer,and nail down where,why,how I want to live.Then finish the truck after I am settled,but the block is at the machine shop to hopefully get 2 sleeves put in,rust between two of the cylinders and hardblok cracked the cylinder walls while it was stored in a plastic tote for 6 years.
    I have a spare block to use,but that was in case I hung the rods out of the built engine.So I am on hold until I hear from the machine shop.
    Chris

Baron and loudbang like this.
  6. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello everyone,just a quick update.I picked up my hemi block from the machine shop today, and it is all fixed.Had 2 sleeves installed.I'm just going to run a hone in the other 6 holes,wash,oil and put it together.
    Chris

7. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Morning,the engine is built and in.I still need to install the fuel pump,belt,exhaust ect....... and make a new bearing cover for the back of the blower(the first one I made is to close to the mag cap.
    I even had to install a new oil pump.The old 354 pump with a milodon sump cover,for some reason when I put it on, View attachment 3692603 View attachment 3692604 View attachment 3692605 View attachment 3692606 View attachment 3692603 View attachment 3692603 View attachment 3692603 View attachment 3692603 View attachment 3692604 View attachment 3692605 View attachment 3692606 View attachment 3692606 View attachment 3692606 the rod on #8 hit the pressure valve casting on the pump which was ground down to clear the rod but was still to close and hit,so I ground some more and cracked the pump.It now has a HH 340 HV pump.I made a spacer that replaced the bottom cover to get the sump lower and used the Milodon pick up from the old pump under the spacer and now she's good. Today will be install the trans and cut the grass.
    Chris

TFoch and loudbang like this.
  8. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

9. Well, well, well. This is gonna' be fun.

1927graham, LowKat and loudbang like this.
  10. FANTASTIC ! The engine looks right at home . Congrats on the monster mill.:D

loudbang likes this.
  11. This truck is so cool
    We just had a great time with our Dragstrip Riot
    Love to have you and it there next year.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  12. abone1930

abone1930

Man it looks wicked, glad your still at it, your work looks AWESOME:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  13. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello everyone again. I have some pics and progress. She is all plumbed and dressed ,less the fuel shut off cable,and nowhere to go.I have all the fluids,brake,trans,engine,throttle but think I might leave it all dry for now since it is to damn cold and not enough day light to even think of trying to get it to run=no fun.I still have to figure out the best way to fill and bleed the throttle,not a big deal.As it is now is how it gets pushed into the trailer and will be finished once I am settled somewhere else( where it is sunny and warm,not in the northeast)
    So one more hurtle in that department as I will be converting my crew cab to a 7.3 diesel.I don't want to,but if I intend to move to a very heavily regulated smog state and keep it as my tow truck I have to install a pre 97 diesel in it.Buying a new truck is NOT an option,actually nothing I own could be legally tested anywhere.So I am also looking for a ranchero/el camino to use a daily driver.
    Chris

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      184.3 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      218.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      162.1 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      137.3 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      198.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    exterminator, 40LUV, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  14. Looks fantastic, great work. Please keep us posted.:)

loudbang likes this.
  15. Nice work! That Hemi looks bad ass sitting in there. Thanks for the updates.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Insane!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  17. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Thank You.

loudbang likes this.
  18. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

X2 on insane there is nothing better than pulling a huge wheel stand cant wait to see this thing in action!

loudbang likes this.
  19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Chris. Just checking in to see how the A100 is progressing. One of my favorite builds on the HAMB. Keep up the great work.

loudbang likes this.
  20. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello Baron,right now the truck is packed away in the rear of my shop.Still looks the same as in the last pictures I posted.Right now I am preoccupied with straightening out the 72 Chevelle I bought to be my daily for when I move.So long PA ,hello CA..........and yes the wheelstander is going with me.
    Chris

21. loudbang likes this.
  22. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck with the move. And glad to hear the A100 is going with you. I posted a couple of your pictures on the Straight Axle site on Face Book, and to say it gets a lot of attention would be an understatement. Wishing you the best on your move and your new home.

jakespeed63 and loudbang like this.
  23. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hi again. Thank you for the kind words.I'm not on facebook so,thanks for that also.The truck needs to be filled with fluids, brakes bled again, rear wheel flairs made and test run,then blown apart for paint.
    Chris

loudbang, Baron, TFoch and 1 other person like this.
  24. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Exactlly

Baron likes this.
  25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

What part of California?

26. 392

Bitchin ride. Nothing like a hemi. Great work.

loudbang likes this.
  27. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello, I am seriously looking in between LA and San Diego,Escondido area maybe?Any suggestions?
    Chris

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  28. RodStRace

RodStRace

Never been to PA but spent a lot of time in Dago.
    Look into these things in the order that is important to you
    1. Crime rates - these often tend to 'group' around poorer areas (like anywhere) but also where housing is high density (apartments/condos) and transient (rentals instead of owner-occupied). The beach areas are EXPENSIVE, but ya gotta chain everything down.
    2. Microclimate - traveling just a few miles inland changes the climate. This gives a map and discussion
    http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-diego/639277-san-diego-microclimate-map-aka-whats.html
    3. People like you - there is great diversity in political/lifestyle/values in the area. If you are ONLY comfortable around vegan, hemp wearing, LGBT members/supporters, OR ONLY cowboy hat wearing, Red state, bible fearin' folks, there is a place for you, but it will also narrow down spots on the map. There is a Little Saigon, a strong Persian community, and many other cultural groupings too.
    4. Travel/commute times - people from out of the area tend to think in distance. Locals talk of times which vary depending on the time of day. Heading South on I 5 is very different at 8 AM or 4PM and whether you are talking about above or below say Downtown. This applies to darn near every freeway in the area. Choosing a different neighborhood can make a commute to the same workplace MUCH different.

Just be aware that it is a very high cost of living, and a lot of people jammed into a pretty big area.
    Cruise nights
    https://www.tripsavvy.com/san-diego-county-car-shows-2936869
    Barona is about it for nearby Drags. Everything else is past LA or over in AZ.
    https://www.baronadrags.com/

fauj, gimpyshotrods and Chucky like this.
  29. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello again, its been a while.I have been working to rid my life of unnecessary things in my life like my other truck and car,junk and stuff I will never use.Throwing stuff out is a great feeling I must say.
    I just wanted to drop a line on the wheelstander.I have been working on it since I finished getting my Chevelle ready and waiting for my Capri and F150 to sell.Car is gone and sold truck on Saturday.
    Wheelstander,I filled the rear with oil. Filled the engine will oil(8 qts VR1)no leaks.Found out the center shaft that drives the pump was too short and needed a 392 shaft(HH 340 pump).Changed the battery ,wired the whole truck,mag,shifter ,starter and button.I now have 65 lbs of oil pressure while cranking.Filled trans,will be full while running.Lastly I sorted out the thottle and modified so that The hydraulic set up can be filled and bleed with the whole thing assembled in the truck.She will have to wait to be started as now I will be getting on a plane soon to go scope out CA.
    Chris

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      221.9 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      105.8 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      122.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  30. Looks great Chris. Stay clear of wild fires.:eek::)