Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Kustoms blues? I need to see some kustoms....

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by straykatkustoms, Oct 6, 2014.

1. loudbang

loudbang

2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

59 IMPALA DRIVERS SIDE.png

The Joe Roth "Little One"

Stebo27, 1947knuck, gonmad and 14 others like this.
  3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. loudbang

loudbang

This is the first EVER custom Edsel wagon I have ever seen :)

[​IMG]

Stebo27, 1947knuck, gonmad and 7 others like this.
  7. rudestude

rudestude

Some really Kool Ride's showing up on here guy's ...a few posts back there was some discussion on the Chevy sedan with the c-pillar removed , really Kool modification, making it a hardtop.,...well pillar less sedan anyways... I really like this when it's done to a club sedan... I have a 50 Bel-Air myself (2dr Hardtop) anyway I ran across a page on the different body style's , I realize you guy's were just yanking chains but I'll post it might help somebody...the talk about being unaware of a customizing modification or uninformed or just not seeing something happens but some people ....well last week or more I saw this nice 51 Chev at a little grouping it had some mild customizing done ..nice car I committed to the owner that was standing there and I said I see you went with the Olds windshield ,one piece instead of the 2 piece stock Chevy, looks good...the guy looks at me and says no it's Chevrolet I remarked I realize that I was talking about the windshield he then says all I know buddy is when I ordered the new windshield ..for a Chevrolet...they offered this one or some other one that was a split something.... I don't know but it was Chevrolet anyways ... I thought what a fucking asshole like it my fault because the guy is not even aware of any background on the modification's he is doing to his car...if it was a younger guy I could maybe understand a little of it, without the being a asshole part anyways..but this guy was late 40's ish so I figured fuck him and walked off...then the stupid fuck looks over to his buddy and says ya there's one in every crowd some bastered trying to tell you shit about your car when they don't have a clue what there talking about...it was everything I could do to keep on walking... I figured if your going to customize or what ever your car at least have some idea of some background or reason or something about the the modification's your doing... anyway sorry to ramble...it just really pissed me off, here is some pics....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. rudestude; I know what you mean. I stopped giving complements many years back. Instead if I say anything at all I ask the proud owner to tell me about his car. Now at 70 years Old I sure get a wide range of remarks. It's real easy to tell who built there Ride and who just opened there Wallet. I generally just smile a lot and walk away. On the rare occasion I actually get someone that knows there stuff it just makes them feel good that some Old Duff cared enough to ask. Kind of a Pride thing ya know. That's what I've learned most about car people is we want to feel good about what we have even the RR guys. When that first started I looked down my nose at them. Took me a long time to get it, that crowd has really taught me something. Same game just a different way of getting there.
    The Wizzard

9. rudestude

rudestude

You are correct on that...the RR's hit me the same way...it got me a little bent when someone would call one of my cars a RR ...but I can deal with it now.. I see your in ,as you call it rust country P.N.W. I am also....OREGON..born here and probably die here.... I'm a back yard/driveway no shop guy...in Oregon... I was just out checking the "Patina" level of my '14 Model T single seater build ....it's coming along good...about time to cover it up... don't want to over do it ya know....just saying..

loudbang likes this.
  10. OneBad56

OneBad56

Sorry Rudestude...technically he is correct, and so are you.
    Yes that was an old trick of installing a 1950/51 Olds one piece in place of the 49 - 50 Chev split windshield.
    However, they are difficult to locate these days.
    Not many of the "younger" generation (<55 years old) know of that trick either.

But guess what... one can now order a one-piece windshield glass from an aftermarket supplier like Chev of the 40's (Vancouver, WA) and guess what they call it in their catalogue:
    CHEVROLET Windshield - 1 Piece Convertible & Hardtop - Clear
    CHEVROLET Windshield - 1 Piece - Styleline (Except Convertible, Hardtop) Clear

In fact I've come across a few older dudes (over 70) who have asked about the one piece in my '52 hardtop.
    I tell them about the Olds windshield trick and then direct them to the Chevs of the 40's
    as they want to do that to their 49-52 Chev.
    I have to replace the '51 Olds windshield in my '52 and have been looking at one of these.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  11. rudestude

rudestude

Yes that is correct I have the catalog...mine is a little older they list original, 2-piece v-butt ,and 1-piece v-bent & curved windshields....Olds windshields are still available new... I still just kind of live in the past ...49-50 Olds one piece Kustom windshield replacement just sounds better than *-'%*:+ one piece aftermarket Chevrolet windshield replacement.... I know...grow up...well it sucks I'm 56 been driving fast cars ..Hot Rods...Kool Kustoms....and everything in-between for ever....if I wasn't driving them I was building them or reading about them... probably why I'm still single... I'm glad to see the new generation keeping some of the old traditional stuff alive I just wish that some of them were more informed on the history and references of the very thing they are keeping alive....just don't do it......live it....and enjoy it...and when you get to be that old car guy telling stories about the way it used to be to the new kids... at least you will know what your talking about.........anyways
    Yes Bad go for the swap it cleans up the look ...I'm going to do it to my 50 Bel-Air. But I am still going to refer to it as the bitchn Kustom one piece Olds windshield job on my 50 Chevy Hardtop..... I know grow up...I'm trying ...it's the growing old part that bite's

chryslerfan55, 54delray and loudbang like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

13. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Brandy's Chariot is one of my favorites (BUT yes, there are a lot of them).

If I ever won the lottery, I would have it cloned.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There was a guy at the swap meets held at the kkoa events in the 90's that had the front fenders from Brandy's chariot for sale for 400 bucks. I saw them for years and thought about buying them but didn't. have not seen that guy since. he also had a candy green, panel/lace painted 69 ss396 chevelle old show car with something like 14k orig miles for sale too for something like 12 grand... excuse me now while I kick myself in the ass

18. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Loudbang, or anyone else have more pics of the last one in your post, the green/white 59 Plymouth? Looks like maybe has 60 Buick rear bumper? Wondering what that tailight 'bar' is, also curious for a front and interior. Sweet looking ride for sure.

StrayKat, I'm digging the '53 Buick pic. Has 3 of my favorite year/makes of cars to customize. 49-51 Merc, 54 Chevy in the backgroung, and of course, the 53 Buick. The following years, 52 Merc, 55 Chevy, and 54 Buick were all changed to more boxy body style. Nothing wrong with them, but for me, the way the earlier models have the headlights dropped down below the top of the hood line just lends itself to a kool and sinister kustom look.

The 53 Buick with the bumper guards removed, the extra teeth filled in, and those iconic droopy eye headlights remind me of a whale skimming the water, mouth open, searching for plankton.

I'm going to do a similar bumper/grill modification on my '53 Special. The bumper is not smooth like that under the bumper guards. Its not as simple as unbolting and welding up a hole. The small bump in the center originally had a red/white/blue Buick emblem. Looks cool enough with the little chrome bullet in this pic. I'm going to smooth the center and relocate two of those little center bumps to where the "big can" bumper guards used to be. Of course, I'll fill in the full length teeth that were open behind the original big guards.

Mark, I remember that green Chevelle. Not for this board, but somewhere I have pics of the amazing details under the hood. Coiled hard lines that I thought were soooo cool .... and "copy-the-idea" worthy.

19. Stebo27, 1947knuck, gonmad and 11 others like this.
  20. Not a big fan of the front myself. Don't know on the tail lights... widened '55 Oldsmobile grill bar?

21. @54delray Here are the photos from Rik's archive.
    fe_4-vi.jpg
    e4_4-vi.jpg
    7e_4-vi.jpg
    DSCN0402or1-vi.jpg
    89_4-vi.jpg
    93_5-vi.jpg
    cc_4-vi.jpg

22. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad to say this was the only Zocchi Kustoms that I have seen in person. I saw it at the Starbird show in Tulsa. Looked a lot better in person than in the pictures. For some reason it hates its picture taken...

23. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully this will inspire you to buy a lotto ticket. Lol!

23622061_1935014113182992_5043327592025353198_n.jpg

23659241_1935014129849657_3516078546408652602_n.jpg

23621964_1935014146516322_8027979618703633236_n.jpg

24. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess if I bought a lotto ticket this is what I would build.... She is Purrfect

Cad.JPG

Cadd.JPG

Stebo27, 1947knuck, gonmad and 11 others like this.
  25. I think I like the more pinkish hue of Larry's in it's original colour a little better but beautiful car.

26. 'Mo

'Mo

Dude, don't you know that four doors ain't cool?
    Dude, don't you know that four doors ain't cool?
    I only know what I've been told! (J.K. :D ;))

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  27. OneBad56

OneBad56

Who's show room is that?

I see what looks like a LW 58 T-bird on the right side of the Caddy, the Mountain Pearl F100 in the background and what looks like the Grapevine on the other side of the Caddy.