Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '27 Roadster Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Texas36, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Thats a ‘36 ford “bobber” truck me and my dad built a few years ago when I was in High school. He mainly built it I just watched but ive been all over Texas in it. Unfortunately when my parents moved out of the suburbs we had nowhere to put it, so it sits under a harbor freight pop up tent..

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  2. t-rod

t-rod

Oh good. I figured you would have cycled the steering a few times by now, so you would know.

Bad decisions make good stories.

3. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

RichB knows

4. Picked this guy up earlier today at the Conroe swap meet. I dont know who made it or what its supposed to go on but I think we have a winner. [​IMG] Im able to get about 90% of the full steering travel without the arm hitting the frame so a little bit of bending and she will be good to go.

bct likes this.
  5. Has Anyone running early spindles ever made their own steering arm? 35-36 was cross steer so no steering arm and the aftermarket arms are for the later spindles. Ive got a plan but just wondering if anyone else has faced this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. bct

bct

I made a hoop style one for dodge spindles. It was a fun project . I went overkill with it as it was mild steel but i would guarantee it is stronger than the 19.99 speedway ones

7. Good score on the pitman arm. Whatever you buy/make for your top steering arm make sure you can get at the top grease zerk. JW

8. Nice! Do you happen to have any pictures of it?

tul01 likes this.
  9. Ah good point. I didnt think of that, ill be sure to keep that in mind!

10. In NZ we cant use those hoop type and all the after market ones we can use are for after market stubs with angled zerk. I got a local manufacturer to make me a special one to overcome that issue. JW
    [​IMG]

dana barlow and Texas36 like this.
  11. That looks good. I gotta give you and every other hotrod builder outside of the US major props. Its hard to find parts over here but it must be a hundred times harder to find stuff over there! Not to mention all the hoops you guys have to jump through just to be legal.

FE_STEVE and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  12. How very true and prices for things cost so much more, you cant buy a top arm for under $100 or a forged dropped axle for under $500. JW

13. Nothing picture worthy this weekend but I figured Ide show off a cool old tool we have. We dug it out of an old barn my dad’s cousin has in Lafayette. The barn used to be a mechanic shop in the 40s and 50s and was full of treasure. This is just one of the things we found.. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Black and decker Valve seat grinder. Has the guide for the flathead and all the stones. It works too!

14. greaser

greaser

Awesome find. Built when Black and Decker were good tools. I don't buy the new ones.

Texas36 likes this.
  15. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That Vibro-Centric kit is killer!

You can make your own steering hoop. I'm no genius, so if I can do it, then so can you.

I had a Speedway hoop but the threads were all screwed up. I decided making my own would be a lot better and stronger, so I just took some solid steel rod, turned the ends down to the proper size to cut threads on (I can't remember, but they were the same size as the spindle hole..). I cut the tapered hole bung out of the Speedway hoop to save me some time instead of cutting, drilling, and tapering a new bung. I tacked the bung to the center of the rod, heated/bent the rod around and tacked them to the sides of the bung while making sure I didn't bend the rods inward too much so it would still bolt through the spindle when I heated and bent the ends perfectly parallel. Once everything fit good, I welded the bung in fully and then heat/bent the steering hoop down to where I needed it to be.

Looks exactly like a Speedway part.. *shrugs* but at least I know it's stronger. That peace of mind makes all that work worth it.

[​IMG]

bct, kidcampbell71, brEad and 3 others like this.
  16. Thanks Matt. Thats exactly what I had in mind for my steering hoop. Looks good, plus you can say that you built it yourself and didnt buy it from a catalog!

17. Tonight Im cursing Henry Ford while puting my front brakes together.. [​IMG]

brEad, ChuckleHead_Al, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  18. Not really a big update but at the same time a really big update. This morning with the help of my dad we cut out a door into my shed [​IMG][​IMG]

19. But thats not all... we also mounted my new firestone 750s on the rear and wheeled her out for the first time. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Congrats man- this thing is looking great!

Texas36 likes this.
  21. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Texas36 likes this.
  22. bct

bct

Hot hot hot!

Texas36 likes this.
  23. That right there is a ''Hot Rod'' and those wide 5's give it a bit extra, very cool and something to be way proud of.:cool::cool::cool::D JW

Texas36 likes this.
  24. Thanks for the kind words guys, Still got a lot more work ahead of me

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  25. I cut off the un-used tapered hole from the passenger side spindle, bought some round stock, and borrowed the neighbor's Lathe once more. Then applied some redneck ingenuity. GOPR0220.JPG GOPR0223.JPG GOPR0224.JPG GOPR0226.JPG GOPR0225.JPG

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Spiffy! Keep it up!

Texas36 likes this.
  27. Nice job on that steering arm!

Texas36 likes this.
  28. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Hey man just found your thread! I dig it! Its awesome to see other young guys on here building old school hot rods. The roadster is coming along great! Following along and can't wait to see what you make it into!

Texas36 likes this.
  29. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Also, I noticed your picture a page or two back saying how you had 104+ temps in your shed. I'm kind of in the same boat currently up here, except it's negative 4, and I don't have heat in my garage. Thank god it's insulated though! Still working on my coupe! 20171227_194759.jpg

bct likes this.