Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features TWEETY BIRD, JIM GOVRO'S BEAUTIFUL CHANNELED 32 ROADSTER RETURNS AFTER 50 YEARS, KERVILLE DRAGS

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tweety's Resurrection, Jul 31, 2015.

1. That's gold right there!

Keith and 31chevymike like this.
  2. 31chevymike

31chevymike

It's awesome to see posts with dated photos from the day! Never saw Tweety Bird with the top up until now!

volvobrynk and Keith like this.
  3. Król

Król

This is a great story! Remember this car from the early magazines. Will be following.

chryslerfan55, 31chevymike and Keith like this.
  4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Oh man... that top up picture with the roll bar out back. Bitchen!

5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

This is so awesome to see. Keith and his crew will do this roadster right.

6. Tweety768.jpg Tweety767.jpg Tweety766.jpg It's just now starting to set in with Jim how cool is Tweety. From day one for me I knew this was a special car. I'm digging in boxes of gold photos. Here's my latest finds.

7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That last photos SLAYS... :)

31chevymike, Keith and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. A few more from the treasure chest. I'll let the dated photos say the rest. These Photos are from the George Walker collection. That's George in the last pic with Tweety. Tweety771.jpg Tweety770.jpg Tweety772.jpg Tweety769.jpg

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

10. Keith

Keith

I am honored to be a part of this project. I look forward to helping Jim bring his hot rod back to its original glory.
    Thanks for all your support.

11. 31chevymike

31chevymike

And all of us here on the HAMB will enjoy watching the build with envy! Thank you Keith and the rest of your staff!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    catdad49, Hank37, tb33anda3rd and 6 others like this.
  13. That's a really big steering wheel. Jim said coming home from Bonnieville it wore a hole in both sides of his pants. Tweety778.jpg

catdad49, Hank37, tb33anda3rd and 4 others like this.
  14. In this pic of the glove compartment there is no Tweety Bird yet. The bird was put on in early 1957. You can also see how the frame in the door jam was carpeted over.

15. 31chevymike

31chevymike

She sure had a great looking interior - '40 Ford Dash? Steering wheel - not sure. Love the pleated interior!

Rudy J likes this.
  16. Nothing screams 1974 like a set of Cager SS wheels except the 1974 license plates. This is best photos so far to see Tweety's channel stance. Tweety780.jpg Tweety782.jpg Tweety781.jpg

hotrodtom, catdad49, Hank37 and 7 others like this.
  17. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Does anyone know what timeframe it was when Tweety Bird was last seen registered on the street or strip?

18. The last license plate was 1980. Jimmy Vaughn says he saw it in a storage unit for sale in 1980. I will ask George when I see him again when it was on the road last.

chryslerfan55, cactus1, KKrod and 2 others like this.
  19. IMG_3823.JPG IMG_3825.JPG IMG_3840.JPG IMG_3845.JPG IMG_3850.JPG To back track a few months ago. I was working as a sea food rep in my HEB Grocery store. I struck up a conversation with a customer about Tweety. She said that she had several cool cars herself. She went on to say that this weekend was the Dripping Spring Rally for Kids Custom Car Show. I told her I'm going to try to trailer Tweety there in pieces to help tell the public about this car. That night I called Jim and told himI'm going with or without you. The next day we bolted the new axle,springs,and hubs on. Now we are a rolling frame and bare shell.

sko_ford, catdad49, Hank37 and 7 others like this.
  20. I called Steve the event founder and he told me he had a perfect place for Tweety. He said that one of the guys from Hot Rod Magazine might be there. I had several poster size prints made of the Hot Rod Magazine made to show off the articals on Tweety. I went to the show early to make sure i could set up in the right spot. It was the best place ever. May be a 100 cars plus came to the show. We never saw anyone from Hot Rod Magazine. It was around 6pm and all but about 10 cars were left. I asked a couple of passer bys to help push Tweety on the trailer. A friend of mine who I had not seen in 20 years drove up in their 1950 GMC pickup.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  21. View attachment 3732392 View attachment 3732393 So we had alot fo catching up to do. Mom and Jim enjoyed talking with them also. So by now we were the only ones left at the car show. Another couple walk up and took alot of interest in the car so my atension turn to them. I really love telling Tweety's story to people who had not heard of it's past life.

22. I'm going to interrupt this story with some breaking news of yesterday fun, We plucked Tweety of all his feathers. It was nice to see the condition of our fine unfeathered friend. The fenders were really straight along with all the other pieces. The frame is sitting on the frame table waiting to be transformed!!!!!!

23. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Okay, now comes the most interesting part of Tweety's resurrection - the actual start of the build! And the crew at the shop are allowing Jim to help too!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. IMG_4611.JPG We picked up a nice set of 36 radius rods for Tweety's Olds rearend.

chryslerfan55 and 31chevymike like this.
  25. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Damn they look longer than I've seen before... COOL!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.