Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 ford 4 bar front end control arms how tight?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marfen, Nov 19, 2017.

1. marfen

marfen
    from sask

final assembly of this legacy build 5w. Anyone know how tight the control arm bolts are supposed to be where they bolt to the frame? When I tightened up the bolt good and snug it sure compresses the urethane bushing. Hopefully the 4 bars can still do their thing.
    20171027_115727.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Are you talking about ones that don't have access for a nut.
    Most that I've seen are just snugged up with a self locking nut.

3. marfen

marfen
    from sask

yes there are nylock nuts on the inside ...just not sure how much those urethane bushings should be compressed. I maybe should back them off some .

4. Do the bushings have the metal sleeve?...they should

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As stated , the urethane bushings will crush to a non function form if in the unlikely event the crush tube is absent.

pitman likes this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I would wait until the body and all the front sheet metal including radiator, fenders, hood etc are attached before tightening them up. The suspension will compress slightly with weight so it's best left until everything is assembled. As stated, that crush tube is necessary. Did you use the grease for the poly bushings? I see that you have SS bolts, are they graded or standard? I tighten things up snug but not overtightened.

7. marfen

marfen
    from sask

thanks for the great advice all. I'll back them off until it's all together. Those SS bolts are what came with the TCI kit that the owner installed when he started working on the car.

8. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I'm getting the answer to this question answered for myself Tuesday when I pick up my new chassis at Pete and Jakes. I'll share what they tell me then.
    SPark

9. marfen

marfen
    from sask

Did you have a chance to ask them?

10. tltony

tltony
    from El Cajon

You must have the inner sleeve and it must be long enough to allow you to tighten the four link bolts tight and not bind the bushing. Otherwise the loose bolts will bang around in the frame holes, eventually ruining things and not driving well. You can sand the ends (sides) of the urethane bushings a little to loosen things up a little if need be.