Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stock 40 Ford crossmember. Move ahead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdscotty, Nov 19, 2017.

1. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Hi guys, looking for some info. I am piecing together a 41 Ford pickup. I have a 39 frame with a roached front crossmember. I have another original crossmember to swap over. While most people leave it in the stock location, I see mention here and there about pushing the crossmember slightly forward to center the wheels in the fender. I do not have all the pieces to mockup at this time, or else I would.

It will be an aftermarket dropped axle, and probably reversed eye spring. I have a 394 Olds engine that will be going in, and my understanding is that I can use all the room I can get. I have seen various measurements of moving the crossmember 1/2", 3/4", and 1 ".

My question is - Is there any kind of consensus on the amount to move the crossmember? (If at all?)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bumping this to the top for the answer.

Bob

3. mrfliboy

mrfliboy
    from IL

Here's my 41 on a 40 car frame stock crossmember. I wouldn't move a thing. IMO. tapatalk_jpeg_1474241602389.jpg

dinglebarry, SFC, olscrounger and 7 others like this.
  4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Looking at the picture above, I would move it forward 3/4 to 1" to center the tire better. I look at the center of the hub VS center of the wheelwell. Purely cosmetic but it can make a big change in looks. One of those things most people won't notice but it will look "right". I always move the front axle CL forward when lowering. I do it with mock-up. No set measurement to me.
    SPark

5. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Thanks for the replies.

I knew there would be differing opinions, but was hoping to get more people chiming in to see if a majority would become apparent.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

The lower the car, the worse it looks. The only way you will know for sure is to mock it up and step back thirty feet. You may need a half inch, or if you are really low you may need a whole inch.

7. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Thanks, alchemy, not looking for a slammed look, just nicely lowered. Plan at this time is running 16" steelies, so the look would be similar to the picture mrfliboy posted.

8. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Like alchemy said, the lower you go, the more it needs. On the low front ends we do, it's usually 3/4" to one inch. Mocking it up is the best way though.

9. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn’t move it, but at least mock it up with ALL of the pieces that you intend to use before you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stock axle and wishbone with reversed eye spring with “ sliders”.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Thanks for the photos and front end info joel.

mrfliboy, if you are still there, what was your suspension setup?

13. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Any other opinions?

14. dinglebarry

dinglebarry

The pic w the www tire, to me makes it clear imho the tire should be forward. The cresent shape over the tire being tight at the rear, and open more at the front means the tire should be forward. Mock up to determine.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Thanks, absolutely love your username, dinglebarry.:D