Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a lookie loo is a time waster who apparently thinks I am running a museum and I ought to price my best stuff at low prices. And he will Be Back when he gets the money. He came with a old coworker I know from 40 years ago or they wouldn't have made it inside the gate. Im still working on the kitchen sink. The cabinet was made from 1x3 inch wood and thin pannelling .And had a particle board counter top. I framed it up with 2x4s and cut a piece of 3/4 marine plywood for the top, Cut out the hole for the sink. Now I get to play with Formica and contact cement.

chevy57dude likes this.
  2. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I spent the whole day at the shop working on my 55 ford and doing body work on my 50 ford.It was a great day!

3. I got up and ate a couple ham sandwiches. Then it came a big rain. Then the sun came out. And I noticed my grandsons had uncovered the exhaust of my D4 caterpillar. So water in the cyls. And if it freezes it can break stuff. If you crank it over you can bend the rods. So nothing to do but take out all of the injectors. Then The pony engine wouldn't run. So I had to tear down the carb and clean it. and change the spark plugs and finally got the pony running and spun the main diesel over for a half hour. squirted a bit of brake fluid in the cyls. and put it back together. and it was really windy very strong gusts. I never attempted to start the main diesel engine. Ive been covering the exhaust with a cap from a LP bottle. Tomorrow Im gonna weld a big nut to the side of that cap and install a bolt so I can cinch it tight against the manifold pipe. My wife stated those two can tear up a steel ball with a rubber band. Grayson cat driver 003.JPG That Grayson crawls up on the D4 and plays every chance he gets. Im not even going to say anything to him about the uncovered exhaust. He isn't yet three. And its my fault for not fixing it to where a little urchin could remove it. Grayson cat driver 004.JPG

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Got to hang out at Cornfield Customs for a couple hours with Mike. What amazing talent this shop has. Thanks again Mike and crew for the warm welcome and letting me play on the big hammer.

The37Kid, saltflats and JOYFLEA like this.
  5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Went to Melbourne (FL) and bought a model A engine.

6. rtp

rtp

Siphoned as much gas as I can out of the 48 olds put a pan under the leaking gas tank.
    Filled it on the way home last week Gage still read full till I turned the key ,then read 1/4 tank. Big dark spot in the gravel under the car. Glad it is parked in open shed. Oh well I will pull the tank Friday after thanksgiving .
    Anybody know best way to make it safe to cut and weld on?

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Met with a nice Swedish fellow named Rolf. He's here stateside buying parts and cars , he bought this from me...he's got a 331 Hemi looking for a new home...thosevSweeds sure love american iron.....Good luck Rolf..... image.jpg

Ron Funkhouser, chop job and Paul like this.
  8. Moved a section of chain link fence. A 55 chev Pk and 53 ford car so I could hook to a big olds 98 4 dr. a guy from Dayton Ohio bought it and will be here tomorrow to load it up. Its scheduled to become a Demo Derby car.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Took my heap to the store and punched it a block from home. Something went clunk and now the clutch won't disengage. Made it into the driveway, parked it and came inside. Sure hope it's the linkage...

chevy57dude and squirrel like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

Visited my car at the Arizona International Auto Show (in Phoenix)

auto show.jpg

triman62, saltflats, jnaki and 10 others like this.
  11. Jim,I know you drive the heck out of that car,I bet it hasn't been that clean since you built it. HRP

12. squirrel

squirrel

It's kind of dirty right now but I'll clean it in the morning..

13. patzfab

patzfab
    from Canada

B45FFDA2-1437-4A8B-AA34-C57D985E48A6.jpeg I put the re-sealed 8ba back into the 50 shoebox. All the bits have to be reattached now

spurgeonforge and chop job like this.
  14. 49clubcoupe

49clubcoupe
    from idaho

Replaced a fuel pump in the wife's car, check out the fuel line clip the PO or mechanic had installed, yikes. [​IMG]

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

15. Finished framing in the garage wall inside the garage. 20171123_191219.jpg

spurgeonforge and chevy57dude like this.
  16. F- 100 fuel 014.JPG Got tired of the gas cap in the bed floor. F- 100 fuel 015.JPG

Ron Funkhouser and spurgeonforge like this.
  17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well my own stupidity, or haste, or combination thereof, strikes again. My clutch slave cylinder bracket bolts to the tailshaft bolts (T5), taking up about 1/4" of the bolt length. Didn't notice that one of the bolts was shorter than the other, which pulled the threads in the case. Fortunately there's still about the same amount of thread left in there, so I'm gonna get two metric studs, locktite them in there and hope for the best. That way next time it strips out I'll be far from home..:(

Hmm, I guess I could tap them out for a larger American thread...

1124171032[1].jpg

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have been figuring out my steering and shifter in my 49 Chevy. plan on shifting a 700R4 with a powerglide shifter from a 1950. I also got all my hardware sorted out.

IMG_6230.JPG IMG_6221small.JPG IMG_6226 small.JPG

19. 34Larry

34Larry

Well a recent wind storm made a mess of the yard from the fir trees so that was first priority. After that I made a call on Mr. Harbor Freight and purchased a laser digital thermometer. Just didn't trust the temp. gage we had to rebuild from a white faced Ford Racing gauge to a black face to match the others in the car. It checked within 6 degrees of what it said, it kicks the fan in showing on the gauge at 182 but is 190/192. Mission accomplished. I'm believing more and more that the seller the hemi who now is in Az. just happened to stretch the truth about this motor being rebuilt with only 800 miles on it. Blow by on both banks.

20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-11-27_4-5-36.png
    upload_2017-11-27_4-5-52.png

Hello,

While on a short vacation in Santa Barbara over the holiday, I was pretending to be a photojournalist seeking out my next story. But, gone were the massive amounts of photographic equipment and stuff. My wife mentioned seeing a nice looking, “old station wagon” in the resort hotel parking lot.

I went on a mission to find this “old station wagon.” I thought I had seen an old Mercury Comet Station Wagon driving around in town earlier in the day, but it was a flash, during the driving, in hectic, Santa Barbara.

So, seeing this cool looking 1965 Mercury Comet Station Wagon/Woody in the Goleta, CA resort hotel parking lot was a surprise. It had a ton of nice features and looked to be a daily driver. Some of the custom touches were the machined, Lexan colored shift knob and door locks, the rear ¼ Venetian blinds, the aluminum rain/wind wings and taillights. One item that hasn't been seen since the 60's...shiny curb feelers !

The period correct S/S wheels and whitewalls made it look like a wagon cruising in the mid 60’s. The Comet Wagon fit right into the “theme” of the recently remodeled, Kimpton Goodland Resort Hotel’s surfer style fixtures.
    upload_2017-11-27_4-7-29.png upload_2017-11-27_4-7-41.png

One of the most unusual items was the outside fender mirror that had a front facing spotlight. Without being too nosy in a public parking lot, (peeking into the driver’s compartment,) there had to be a remote control of some kind to make it work. It was just too far forward for a long twist lever back to the driver.
    upload_2017-11-27_4-21-5.png
    Maybe, it is used as an extra high beam for those dark, deserted, Highway 395, So Cal to Nor Cal cruises.

Jnaki

These mid-size wagons were deemed, “perfect” for the small family. They were not too big and not too compact. But to paraphrase Goldilocks: "Ahhh, this… Wagon… is just right."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    spurgeonforge and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  21. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Mockup of the engine and tranny in my '32 chassis. Headers fit great, loks like things will work just fine. Also dropped the gas tank in place.

SPark

mockup1.jpg mockup2.jpg mockup5.jpg mockup6.jpg mockup7.jpg mockup3.jpg mockup4.jpg

22. Went and cut & hauled setting & rotting 037.JPG a load of firewood.

23. Built some floor boards .
    658378FC-3AC8-48A6-93A8-ED1E7B85D1AE.jpeg D0C9D8EF-DABE-4E08-95B5-A2BEAD489FC5.jpeg

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Took my HAMB friendly 56 Victoria with its air cooled Ford-O-Matic to Art Carr to have a HAMB friendly 62 Ford Cruise-O-Matic installed... I wouldn't want to go too "modern".

jnaki, Oilguy, Ron Funkhouser and 2 others like this.
  25. My 56 ford pickup had the air cooled trans. Big finned torque converter. It was also water cooled. there where steel tubes that connected with the heater hoses and routed coolant to a external cooler located alongside the transmission. I still have the transmission. Its in a car trunk I haven't looked at it in decades.

26. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

I run an O/T at the drags sometimes, got home, worked fine, got up the next morning and did the exact same thing on my way to school... glad it didnt happen 12 hours earlier. I went with locktite, longer bolts, and a good amount of "hopes and dreams"

27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-11-28_4-11-54.png
    Hello,
    One item I forgot to add in was the photo of the shiny curb feelers that were on the passenger side of the Mercury Comet Station Wagon that was in the Kimpton Goodland Resort in Goleta, CA, just north of Santa Barbara. There, as well as cruising down State Street in Santa Barbara. We haven't seen those on a car in quite some time. Very cool...

Jnaki

This shiny, curb feeler, along with the other custom accessories on this woody took us back to traveling in the 60's. Those custom made items, accessories from the JC Whitney Catalog, Pep Boys, Dave's House of Chrome, etc...that was a fun time for all. This Mercury Comet Woody Station Wagon showcased it all, while still being a daily driver.

28. I finally changed the oil in the 56 Chrysler today.Going to drive her a few days and change it again.Bruce.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  29. RMONTY

RMONTY

Started cleaning out the 2 door donor car from my Chopped Sedan Delivery that will be a Long-Door Delivery. Just have to figure out where to cut the things off and get to welding!

2 DR Pass Side.jpg IMG_7030.JPG IMG_7031.JPG IMG_7034.JPG IMG_7035.JPG IMG_7036.JPG IMG_7037.JPG IMG_7038.JPG outside SD.jpg outside sedan2.jpg outside sedan .jpg . SD Pass Side.jpg

JOYFLEA likes this.
  30. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.