Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '56 Chevy power steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smitty's32, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

I need to add power steering to my '56 Chevy. SBC with side mounts, short water pump, stock front suspension. Just started shopping and it looks like my choices are CPP or Borgeson. There's a CPP complete kit that looks interesting but it says the stock steering column will need to be modified. I prefer to keep the stock column and could probably do whatever modifications are required, but at my age a bolt on swap sounds better. Does the Borgeson box require modifications to the column also? Anybody got recommendations or advice before I start spending money? Thanks!

2. Any power steering set up will require a column swap or cutting the stock column.
    Check out www.trifive.com

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, exactly as Scotty T said, If you want to run the stock column it has to be cut off and modified.

4. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Unless you do a stock type with a power assist on the linkage.

5. belair

belair

Or put bearings in the idler arm assembly. The poor man's power steering. Danchuk has the kit. 100 bucks.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone used to modify stock columns with the stock shifter but can't recall who. Had two or three done long ago. One still in wife's 55 and neighbors nomad too-work great.

7. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

I think I'd rather have the power box.

8. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

Already got a floor shifter so shift linkage is not a problem.

9. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

You have to modify the bottom of the column to adapt a rag joint or vibration damper to mate with the CCP box. I have done a few different applications and they have been relatively easy. Their Tech department is first rate.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

"Jalapeno", over on ChevyTalk.Org/Tri-Five.Com, does stock power steering setups. He's in Texas. Use the stock "ram" style power steering with a newer pump setup, which is what Jalapeno does mostly, but he also does the more modern setups as well. The stock power steering pump was mounted to the back of the generator, and the generator is unique to that setup. The 605 later model steering box WAS the popular modification/update, but that has now been superseded by the 500 series box. You may be able to find someone removing their 605 to update to the 500; a lot of guys are doing that. Both of those required you to modify the stock steering column (very easy to do-cutting the shaft/making it a double or single D, and using a rag joint or the stronger universal joint setup), or go with a later model or aftermarket one. If you go with the aftermarket, really watch out for the really cheap Chinese junk that looks good, but has dangerous internals that are prone to failure. That means go with something like a proven "ididit" column. Do an online search regarding CPP, there have been some problems with some of their products. Just trying to save YOU some problems. I'm on my TENTH, and last, 56 Chevrolet, and all have been stock, manual steering, manual stock brakes, with modified powertrains. Lots of Tri-Five Chevrolet vendors out there, such as Danchuk, but also Speedway for what you're looking for. Good luck fellow 56er. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

Thanks for the replies. I've checked out tri-five.com, lots of good info there. I now understand what needs to be done to use the original column and I don't see a problem with getting that done. It hadn't occurred to me at first that the steering shaft was one piece with the steering box and not the column. So I need to saw it off and modify it, or buy a length of new shaft to use in the original column. Makes a lot more sense now!

12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

CPP"s stuff is China junk, pls do some research about their products

13. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

If I may ask, is that from your own personal experience?

14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

hell yes it is. their tilt columns are unsafe