Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keef59

keef59

The Beatles at one of the British gas company Cleveland’s petrol pumps to fill up their tour bus. July 22, 1963. The Beatles - July 22, 1963..png

2. Sivils Drive Inn in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas, TX.
    [​IMG]

3. Abilene, TX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Colorado, TX
    [​IMG]

Denver City, TX
    [​IMG]

Fort Worth, TX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kilgore, TX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

McAllen, TX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sequin, TX
    [​IMG]

4. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

I met Her this summer nice couple they still have the car and the jacket shes wearing

zeph4057k, loudbang, 36 ROKIT and 2 others like this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-11-18_4-18-12.png then
    upload_2017-11-18_4-18-35.png now
    Hello,

I have always been impressed by those who take safety to the next level and fellow racers are appreciative of it. We had the latest metal scattershield for the 671 SBC in our 40 Willys C/Gas coupe in early 1960. It was tech inspection approved from all drag racing associations. It was made of thick steel that surrounded the top ½ of the bell housing and bolted to a curved steel plate that went under the bottom of the housing. It was the latest safety equipment for race cars.

Under tremendous pressure from the 671/SBC the clutch gave up and exploded in the final eliminations for the C/Gas class race in 1960. The exploding clutch blasted the bellhousing and the metal scattershield to bits, making flying projectiles embed themselves in the dash, door jams, panels,roof, and of course, the aluminum Moon Gas Tank and pump. The resulting fire melted almost everything inside of the cab of the Willys and gave my brother 3rd degree burns on his face, arms, body and legs.

If Joe Schubeck’s invention was around back in 1960, we would still be involved in drag racing for many more years to come. We may have still been in the hot rod industry of some kind. His invention prevented many exploding clutches as strong as the clutch could be made, from flying all over the place. It was able to enclose the remaining parts inside of the 360 degree catch-all metal shield. This was a real “scattershield.”

Jnaki

My hat is off to Joe Schubeck for his ingenious development and that every time I see that red FED, silently, I thank him for saving tons of racers lives from the ravages of exploding clutches and flying metal pieces in all drag race cars. Sorry, you did not invent it in early 1960.

“I had built my own tubular chassis,”explained Schubeck. “that was the first tube chassis in 1958, and then in 1959, I rounded up a bunch of people that wanted them. So, I found myself in business. I called it Lakewood Chassis Company.”

"One of the most difficult pieces to construct was the aluminum transmission bell housing. He knew there had to be a better way to manufacture the part and while visiting a fabrication shop in Cleveland, he learned about a machine called the Hydroform."

"Through persistence and hard work, he developed a die to put in the Hydroform and 20 seconds after the engineer flipped on the machine, Schubeck was holding a gorgeous, seamless, aluminum bell housing. It was a tremendous product. His old friend, Jack Harris knew what it might mean to the industry. Across the country, drag racing was plagued with flywheel and clutch explosions. Chunks of cast iron were flying into the grandstands, blowing cars in half, sometimes proving fatal for drivers and spectators."

“It was obvious that what I needed was to make a bellhousing out of steel,” said Schubeck, “and Jack Harris told me: “If you could make that thing out of steel and it will contain that clutch, you would have a mult-million dollar product on your hands.”

"The catch to developing such a coveted product was that Schubeck was going to have to retire as a driver. He reluctantly stepped away from the cockpit, and the move paid off. Before long, he had two shifts going seven days a week, putting skid loads of new steel bell housings on trucks."

6. swi66

swi66

7. swi66

swi66

8. keef59

keef59

9. keef59

keef59

10. keef59

keef59

11. keef59

keef59

12. keef59

keef59

13. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Another batch from Galesburg, IL high school yearbooks:
    gbil50-07.jpg
    gbil61-09.jpg
    gbil61-11.jpg
    gbil61-22.jpg
    gbil62-23.jpg
    gbil65-41.jpg
    gbil69-53.jpg
    gbil65-40.jpg
    Thanks for looking!

14. [​IMG]

Mock's Ford, Grants Pass, OR
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    zeph4057k, 47ragtop, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  15. Liberal, OR (hint: eeny "town" between Molalla and Mulino, OR)
    [​IMG]

16. SW 5th and Washington, downtown Portland, OR
    [​IMG]

17. No car...but if you stayed here in the summer it was crazy hot, dry and windy (Columbia River Gorge).
    [​IMG]

18. Hotel at Sunset Beach/Shore Acres, Coos Bay, OR. Swept out to sea in a storm.
    [​IMG]

upload_2017-11-18_8-58-30.png

19. Soon to be torn down for 8 story condos...Portland, OR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TFoch, 47ragtop, 40two and 8 others like this.
  20. Summit of Old Oregon Trail in the Blue Mountains, Eastern Oregon.
    [​IMG]

21. NE Columbia Blvd, Portland, OR - A place to show your smooth moves dancing to Country & Western music.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.