Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BRIAN MADE ME DO IT: 34 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mikey likes it!

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. It is a lot more fun to build than T/A's and Camaros.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I welded all day. The makeshift rotisserie works better than I imagined. I ran out of wire at one point, luckily I had another in the drawer. But when I ran of Crown Royal, that was enough for one day. I should wrap up the welding tomorrow and start prepping the frame for paint. First, a run to the liquor store in the morning for supplies.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sounds like you have a drink'n problem.
    Well at least until you get back!:p

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, I have a sober problem! :cool:

7. Crown and a welding session, sounds like a damn good day! LOL:D

8. The inside of the front inner fenders- as in the engine side if the front inner fenders ought to match the under side of the hood even if nobody will notice. The outside of the inner fenders should match the body color even if nobody will ever notice. But above and beyond both of those you should do what you want.

9. So does my cat, you should see how he acts when that happens.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Is everything ok over there Billy, do I need to bring you any band aids?

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really taxed my wire feed and my ice maker today! :cool:
    They say the game of golf is 18 holes long because some old Scott had a sip of whiskey on every hole and after 18 tokes on the bottle the 5th was empty so he quit playing. If the same hold true for welding, I got in 18 good welding sessions today. :D
    I am going to try exactly this! If it looks out of place it is an easy fix but I personally think it will look very cool.

Welding is 95% complete, I still have to finish the M/C mounting bracket but other than that I think I knocked it out of the park this weekend.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Say, did you hear about the lady golfer who was stung between the first and second hole.
    :eek:

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Monday morning at the paint shop. While I am working to complete the work to the frame the body shop is trying to stay a step ahead of me. Body is in guide coat and on schedule for painting this week.

upload_2017-11-13_10-22-48.png
    These cars don't have a "traditional 34" firewall but I do get 4 inches of added leg room as a bonus :cool:
    upload_2017-11-13_10-23-32.png
    Gaps are not important to the majority of you and i get that but they are to me. And this car is tight!
    upload_2017-11-13_10-24-12.png
    The shop has de-bodied a lot of hot rods for paint but they have never seen a roadster shell take 6 guys to lift off the frame. I'm glad I added that blower to my flathead, I don't think it would have moved out of it's own shadow without it. :D

Meanwhile, back on the farm, I welded in the brake line tabs, cut an access hole through one of the rear spring brackets for the rear brake line routing, stitched up the radiator support pads nice and neat, welded the front pan hard rod frame mount down, welded in the fog light mount on the left front, filled about 30 holes, welded in the trans cross member brackets (bolt-in) and dressed all the above. Still left for tonight is to finish welding the M/C bracket.

14. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Good to know you have your priorities in proper order.

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. Do you have a picture of the inside of the cockpit? I don't understand how there is 4" more leg room with a more recessed firewall then a stock body?

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has to do with a couple of differences Chris between this car and Henry's which you own and I adore.
    1. The seat is moved rearward partly due to the tulip panel that covers my convertible top. I am 6'2", 250. My seat is on a track and I didn't have the seat all the way back during mock up and I fit comfortably under the chopped rag top.
    2. The doors are longer (like a 3 window coupe) to accommodate the seat set back and make ingress/egress easier.
    3. Then the floor is channeled to provide deeper footwell area. That creates a substantial transmission tunnel but you have to give somewhere. I don't have a current photo but here is one with the pedal mock up that shows the depth of the floor.
    upload_2017-11-13_11-53-50.png
    I sat in SAR's real steel 34 and this one, in full mock up and there is a vast difference. I am building the car to enjoy driving for the rest of my days on this planet. I wanted to be comfy doing it.

17. Ok, I gotcha. Reading it I thought it meant "4 inch deeper in firewall area" in less words. But the way the firewall is done, I just couldn't see how. I do see what you are saying now however. I'm 6'5, 275 pounds. It's hard for me to fit in these ol cars. I shoved my stock seat back a lot, no longer have a package tray. I sit in my car really well, in fact it's really comfortable on long trips, I can stretch my legs way out.

18. mike bowling

mike bowling

That's going to be a beauty ( it really already IS). Glad you got pushed into finishing it ( thanks Brian).
    Careful mixing welding with flamables - no sparks after 4pm.

Bandit Billy, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apparently even if they are tight you can still get stung in the gap between the first and second hole...:D

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the manufacturer of the body also hooked up with Wide Guy seats and had them create a seat specifically for the car that sits on the floor pedestal (no tilt forward storage area) and fits the car side to side perfectly. It still has both springs and foam, recline and tilt forward to access the storage behind the seat. It came with an arm rest but I'm going to upholster over that, not a big fan of arm rests and drink holders. :eek:

Dude, I'm a workin man, I don't get started wrenching till after 5:00. Happy hour is usually 6 to 9. Ladies night on Wednesday. :D

That DDDenny, you just cant take him anywhere! :rolleyes:

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Frame welding is done. Here are the prerequisite pics
    M/C mount, frame upside down in these photos.
    upload_2017-11-14_13-23-44.png
    upload_2017-11-14_13-24-49.png
    This is the frame mount for the steering rod support and the front body shims I had to use. The "rail" I welded inside the shim holds a steel cage nut that is allowed to slide around to make bolting the body down a bit easier.
    upload_2017-11-14_13-25-42.png
    And one more of the top of the M/C bracket and the second shim back. There are 4 on each side progressively shorter obviously.
    upload_2017-11-14_13-27-21.png
    I don't think they are going anywhere. :rolleyes: I think the frame is twice as heavy now with all of the wire used. :cool: Time to prep for paint. :D

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rub a dub dub, there's paint in my tub
    upload_2017-11-18_22-22-43.png
    The cock pit and the boot
    upload_2017-11-18_22-24-25.png

Attached Files:

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weekend Update: I'm Bandit Billy and your not.
    Here is the progress made over the weekend on my car.
    The body and all of it's 1000 parts was painted and clear coated. The sanding had already begun before I got there today.
    upload_2017-11-20_14-36-17.png
    The bits and pieces aren't sanded yet so you can see the color better. The hood looks good already, still needs sanding, flow coat, wet sand and polish. It is going to look mean with some strombergs sticking through that porthole.
    upload_2017-11-20_14-38-56.png
    Front inner fenders are prefect. They will just get wet sand and polish.
    upload_2017-11-20_14-40-31.png
    Tulip panel
    upload_2017-11-20_14-41-13.png
    and a door. The other door is in the background there. I could shave in these reflections and they aren't done yet.
    upload_2017-11-20_14-42-51.png
    And a look at the dash with both colors we painted. It will get some fine lines later to separate the colors but this is the look I was trying for. I love it when a plan comes together.
    upload_2017-11-20_14-44-12.png
    I know it is not everyone's cup of bourbon but it sure is mine.

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Love it!!!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you sir!

loudbang likes this.
  26. I'm love'en it !
    Great color combo image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nice! The only way that could look better is if it were black! ;-)

28. millersgarage

millersgarage

she's a beauty, love the color

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With spoke wheels and...what color top?

I spent a few days at the paint store stressing over that one. Glad you like it. I had done spray outs of several different maroons and tans, looked at them in the sunlight, at night, under shop lights, you name it. This was my favorite choice. If you like the dash, wait till you see the engine bay.