Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Iowa Dragstrips - New & Old

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Calkins, Mar 6, 2010.

1. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

day moving in the bleachers...:cool:

2. abone1930

abone1930

Maybe someone who was familiar with Iowa strips can help me, I am looking for a pick of an Anglia Thames that was suppose to be an old drag car. The guy bought it out of Waterloo Iowa in the early 70's . The guy he got it from ran it at the drags somewhere close by in the late 60's or early 70's? Not for sure the exact time or how much he ran it. Should not have been to many 48 to 50 Thames around that time. I think the closest strip was Cedar Falls? IM looking for an old pick. Here how the thames looks now

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  3. Yes, Cedar Falls would have been "THE" track to go to back then. It was known as NEITA at that time. North East Iowa Timing Association.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Truck64 likes this.
  4. Going through old magazines, I found an article about the Grove Bros. Willys. Summer 2015, Issue #42, Traditional Rod & Kulture Illustrated.

20160221_122656.jpg

20160221_122626.jpg 20160221_122633.jpg 20160221_122641.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    AHotRod and midnightrider78 like this.
  5. AHotRod likes this.
  6. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

7. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

nortonSPEEDworld55.jpg 1967 Z-28.JPG

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  8. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Hi
    I need help . I raced in the late 80's at Eddyville Iowa. I had a 1948 International pickup painted purple with green scalaps. Blown and injected Pontiac. I'm looking for the pickup . I was told it went to Bakersfield Ca. I would love to find any pictures when I was racing. Would really love to find a video tape of when I blow a head gasket and pulled the engine apart at the track and changed gaskets. I think every one there that day video taped us working on it.
    Thank you
    James full-1.jpeg full-5.jpeg full-5.jpeg full-1.jpeg

AHotRod likes this.
  9. speedshifter

speedshifter

I have copies of newspaper articles covering the Greater Des Moines Dragstrip. Strip was 3650 ft long, 60 ft wide, aprox 1st half was asphalt, the rest was dirt. Strip was built & owned by Dennis Day, located about 4 miles west of DM. Early meet drew 200 cars & 100 cycles , 3000 spectators. The Big Wheel dragster from Mpls, drivers Nile Cornelson -Creston, Merrill Frost-DM, Howdy Williams-Omaha(dragster) were a few of the early drivers. First Meet was held on July13&14 1957 I believe after awhile the full 1/4 was hard surfaced. speedshifter Greg

10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The name that ruled and was top Eliminator quite a few years was Lou Bredeski in his 302 CU 6 cylinder Jimmy with 5 pot carbs in a 22 or 23 T roadster.

Sadly Lou is no longer with us but Lou ruled in the late 50's early 60's at the Des Moines Dragstrip.

The black top under the thicket bushes and weeds were still there about 16-17 years ago.
    Ron Smith, a guy who I use to work with raced his 57 Chevy there years ago.
    For his birthday, I searched in the weeds and thickets and picked up a chunk of the starting line asphalt with very faint white starting line paint to give to him.
    I wrapped it in a box and when he open it, said what the hell is this ?
    When I told him, he was stunned and said one of the best birthday presents he ever received. He keeps it in his show case.

Sadly less than a year later, the Des Moines Drag strip was all torn up for a housing development.

11. Corey "Waldo" E.

Corey "Waldo" E.

Sent a message to John &Kelly, I know her mom and dad took lots of video. She's going to check and see what her mom has.

12. Good Morning group! A friend of mine is looking for his old dragster. His name is Roger Marchant, currently in Iowa Falls, previously in Hampton. He was thinking it was an early '60's Dragmaster. He remembers updating the cage, and then selling it to the late Jerry Clock, from Alden. The last time we seen it was at Humboldt. Jerry had sold it to a husband and wife from the Fort Dodge area. I think it had a carbed SBC and a 'Glide. I found a couple of photos on Facebook, but we are not sure that was it. Does this ring a bell with anyone???

AHotRod likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I know this is a long shot, but back in 1960, we build a 40 Willys 671 SBC and raced at Lions Dragstrip in Long Beach,CA. We had an explosion and resulting fire that destroyed the car. The motor was fine, but, within 6 months, we sold the complete Chevy motor to a guy from the Midwest. Yes, I know the Midwest is a big place, but this is the only thread that is somewhat active here on the HAMB. Your area has a history dating back to 1957. We placed an ad in Drag News for the motor in the January 1961 edition. upload_2017-4-19_8-9-12.png
    The January 28, 1961 ad said 283. But it was really a 292 C.I. SBC. The guy from somewhere in the Midwest flew out to Long Beach,CA. to buy the motor. He had it shipped back and that was the last time we saw or remembering anything about the motor. It was one of a two with 671/6 Strombergs SBC at Lions at the time. So, it was to be a "first" in the Midwest. The 671 kits for the SBC were new in So Cal at the time.

Jnaki

So, here is a question for all Midwest racers, grandpas, cousins, family histories, old photos, etc. Does anyone remember their grandpa or dad saying they flew out to the Long Beach area to buy a 671 on a complete SBC motor? (Joe Hunt Vertex Mag, 6 Strombergs, etc.) My brother was still in recovery from his burns, so I met the guy from the Midwest at our house. He was so happy to be one of three people asking about the motor from the ad, and that it was a real 292 instead of a 283. The deal was made, the bank supplied the money, and he made arrangements for someone to come out the next day to ship it back to his house in the Midwest. He was a happy camper as his trip out West was a success.

Thanks… the missing photos of our Willys in the pits and racing are out there somewhere, but if someone remembers the history of a 671 on a SBC being delivered to their doorstep sometime in February, 1961… THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING ! Photos anyone?

Calkins likes this.
  14. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Onawa Racing, Inc. Will Be Breaking Ground for the Onawa Racing and Events Complex Friday, May 12th at 9 am in the “tie-down” area. The public is welcome to attend this simple ceremony to mark the start of the building and development phase. An official ribbon cutting will be held at a later date. OREC3.png

15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

16. Toxic Anglia

Toxic Anglia

Did the car ever run at N.E.I.T.A. ? What engine ? etc.

17. It could have. When I saw it a few years ago, I believe the owners only ran it at Humboldt. At that point, it had a SBC in it.

18. Toxic Anglia

Toxic Anglia

Earlier in this thread pictures were posted of the late 60's -early 70's Roger Denney "Toxic" Anglia (originally Vern Moats car) and the "Instant Energy " Anglia. I watched as the Instant Energy car was being built by the late Arno Benedette around 1966-67 in Waterloo. It ran an injected 327 Chevy bored to 343. Arno raced the car up into the 70's then sold the Anglia and ran a Hemi Corvette f/c. Instant Energy went to Dale Rufshauge, he raced it for some years and the last I knew it had been sold to a Kenny Crawford of Waterloo and was in his garage in pieces. That was 30 + years ago. Here is a picture I took of the car when Benedette ran it at N.E.I.T.A. in Cedar Falls. Its an early picture, he later did a reddish maroon fog spray job on the high points of the car. I was 12 and all I had was a Kodak Brownie camera. Arno Benedette b4 Instant Energy.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  19. Toxic Anglia

Toxic Anglia

If he knew what it looked like back in the 60's I MAY have a picture of it

20. Toxic Anglia

Toxic Anglia

I have Yellow Page Anglia, Taxi Anglia, Yellow Submarine (Jag roadster)

21. loudbang

loudbang

1947knuck likes this.
  22. abone1930

abone1930

Looking for some info, acquired this thames this weekend, the front clip is not orginal to car, was suppose to been run in the 60's to 70's at a dragstrip in Iowa, all in know, long shot but worth a try. Has a stock axle un front, square roll bar, 55 chevy car rearend narrowed, any body got any picks of thames from Iowa strips?[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AHotRod likes this.
  23. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

2018 OREC Schedule of Events
    As of Jan 5, 2018 – SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE. WATCH FOR UPDATES

Saturday, May 5 Fun Day, TNT, Trophy, Gamblers (Tentative)

Saturday, May 12 Fun Day, TNT, Trophy, Gamblers (Tentative)

Saturday, May 19 Fun Day, TNT, TCR, Trophy, Gamblers

Sunday, May 20 Bracket Points Race #1

Saturday, May 26 Fun Day, TNT, TCR, Trophy, Gamblers

Saturday, June 2 Fun Day, TNT, TCR, Trophy, Gamblers

Friday, June 8 Fun Race, TNT, TCR, Trophy, Gamb, 5p-Dusk

Saturday, June 9 Grand Opening Extravaganza Jet, Wheelstander, & More

Bracket Points Race #2

Sunday, June 10 Bracket Points Race #3

Saturday, June 16 Fun Day, TNT, TCR, Trophy, Gamblers

Friday, June 22 Fun Race, TNT, HS, TCR, Trophy, Gamb, 5p-Dusk

Saturday, June 23 Bracket Points Race #4 + NCSS

Sunday, June 24 Bracket Points Race #5 + NCSS

Saturday, June 30 Shop Inc’s Heads up No-Prep

Friday, July 6 Fun Race, TNT, HS, TCR, Trophy, Gamb, 5p-Dusk

Saturday, July 7 Bracket Points Race #6

Sunday, July 8 Bracket Points Race #7

Saturday, July 14 Fun Day, TNT, TCR, Trophy, Gamblers

Friday, July 20 Fun Race, TNT, HS, TCR, Trophy, Gamb, 5p-Dusk

Saturday, July 21 Bracket Points Race #8

Sunday, July 22 Bracket Points Race #9

Saturday, July 28 Fun Day, TNT, TCR, Trophy, Gamblers

Saturday, August 5 Evening of Eruption Jets, Nitro, Fireworks & More

Bracket Points Race #10

Saturday, August 11 Midwest Diesel Drags & Show Event

Friday, August 17 Fun Race, TNT, Final HS, TCR, Trophy, Gamb, 5p-dusk

Saturday, August 18 Bracket Points Race #11

Sunday, August 19 Bracket Points Race #12

Saturday, August 25 Fun Day, TNT, TCR, Trophy, Gamblers

Friday, Sept 7 Fun Race, TNT, TCR, Trophy, Gamb, 5p-dusk

Saturday, Sept 8 Shop Inc’s Heads up No prep

Friday, Sept 14 Team Finals in Martin, MI

Saturday, Sept 15 Team Finals in Martin, MI

Sunday, Sept 16 Team Finals in Martin, MI

Saturday, Sept 22 Sponsor Showdown/TNT, Trophy 9 AM

Saturday, Sept 29 Fall Classic Bracket Special – TBA

Sunday, Sept 30 Fall Classic Bracket Special – TBA

Saturday, Oct 6 Fun Day, TNT, TCR, Trophy, Gamblers

Saturday, Oct 13 Fun Day, TNT, TCR, Trophy, Gamblers

Saturday, Oct 20 Hallowstrange – Last 2018 Race

Low Roller Brackets, Jrs, Trophy, TNT, Trailer Decorating and Adult & Kids costume contest!

Wacky food & beverage specials Racers Party in Events Center!

Open 9 AM, Race 10 AM – ?

24. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Yesterday April 15th 2018
    dragstrip.JPG dragstrip west.JPG dragstrip west seats.JPG dragstrip east seats.JPG dragstrip right lane.JPG

AHotRod, rjones35, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^ I'd sure like to see something like that being built around here ^^^^^. 1/8th mile or quarter mile? Rather than a sand trap at the end, they have a big tree! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang and henryj1951 like this.
  26. That looks great! Thanks for posting!

That track will be 1/8th mile at first. When funds are finished being raised, it is suppose to become 1/4th mile.

loudbang likes this.
  27. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

CORRECT....

loudbang likes this.
  28. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

TREE , most definitely have ta go...

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

We are trying to pick a date to show up with some of the 348/409 cars this year.