Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Broken manifold flange

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Summershandy, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Summershandy

Summershandy

My heart sank today. While trying to remove the broken flange bolts the actual flange broke. I tried every trick in the book. Heat, easy out (which did it), candle wax and tapping with 50/50 acetone and ATF. What a bunch of bull***. I work gingerly but never thought in a million years this would have happened. It's too late now but I should have gone with my gut and just drilled out the threads and use a nut and bolt. I will NEVER try unseizing frozen bolts again! Any suggestions what route I could go? Maybe there's a creative machinist or engineer out there.

Attached Files:

0nedon likes this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, brazing is the best way to repair cast iron...plus it's traditional!

funk 49, WDobos, inaford30 and 2 others like this.
  3. X3 on the braze. put a threaded piece of carbon that has the same thread as was in there. grind the broken piece and the manifold almost to the thread and braze it. JB

4. Broken studs and bolts can be difficult. If you are able to drill it out straight and install a helicoil to replace the threads you drill out, it can make a good repair that is relatively easy to do. There doesn't look to be a lot of meat around those original stud holes so don't beat yourself up too badly. A good, experienced welding shop should be able to fix that manifold, but get the other hole fixed up first. :)

inaford30, loudbang and tractorguy like this.
  5. Joe H

Joe H

Heat it up slowly, braze, and cool slowly.

WDobos, inaford30 and loudbang like this.
  6. flatford39

flatford39

That can be brazed back together. You need to find a guy with the skills it take. It can be fixed.

7. When in doubt - refer to your byline. HRP

"I can fix almost anything but I can't fix stupid" :D

Texas Webb likes this.
  8. Summershandy

Summershandy

Thanks guys....I'm just a little concerned that the brazed ear would be strong enough to withstand the force of the new bolt. I searched for another manifold for a '54 pontiac straight 8 but haven't found one. I do prefer to use this one.

9. i can't see the back side of the flange but maybe grind it flat and make a special headed bolt that can be laid into the stud groove and then braze it in place. most of the pressure would be on the head of the bolt against the unbroken flange.
    just an F.Y.I. i have had a c-clamp "temporarily" holding the exhaust flange on my plow truck........for the last 15 years.

Jet96 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

there is one on ebay. local pickup only. in Ohio. I went to your profile page and you did not put your info in as far as where you are from....

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That looks dry as a bone in the picture. Get it brazed back together while searching for another one. I will keep my eyes open here in my area.

13. Summershandy

Summershandy

Sorry and thanks for checking. I'm in Northern Ontario Canada. Why the heck didn't I find it?

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That is a nice looking pontiac in your avatar.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

17. Summershandy

Summershandy

Holey dang! It's listed as a '49 but sure looks right. Sounds like his reconditioned flathead is pick up only. I should see if he'll ship the manifold if it fits. I have a US shipping address that is 45 minutes away. That's how I get all my parts. I sure like the price. Comes with a carb too?

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hollander interchange manual says 1941-1954 are the same

loudbang likes this.
  19. Summershandy

Summershandy

Nope you're right...pick up only.

20. Summershandy

Summershandy

I was just going back to your post to check it out. Thanks!

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

so, you must have a friend with a us address that you get parts shipped to and he sends them off to you? If this is the case and he lives 45 minutes away I would call and see if he would drive down and get it for you

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have successfully used my Henrob torch for cast iron repair for 15 years. Its easy and does an excellent job. It can be grinded, drilled and tapped for threads. I've never had a failure. Use cast iron filler rod for a cast iron repair. Do not put Brass on cast iron.

23. Summershandy

Summershandy

Not quite. It's a cross border receiving store. Rydens Border Store Grand Portage MN. We Canadians order goods in the States and use their address. They hold the item for 30 days for a charge of $3 each. Very popular as we also visit Duluth MN on a regular basis. I can pick up on the way home duty free or take the run down there and pay our stupid 13% sales tax.

Moriarity likes this.
  24. carbking

carbking

If you haven't found a manifold, try Kurt Kelsey (Kelsey Pontiac Parts) in Iowa Falls, Iowa.

Next time you need to remove a seized manifold bolt: drill out the bolt with the drill for the not-so-easy-out, then heat the assembly and allow to cool, then try the not-so-easy-out.

Jon.

Work In Progress likes this.
  25. I'm going to take wild ass guess that the easy out threading in and getting bigger actually wedged the flange right off like a log splitter. Easy outs are kind of stupid around here. They cause more geif that anything with 90% of the stuff we see in my shop. I'm a big fan of welding a nut on the stub.

That one on eBay is near Dayton Ohio, about 4 hrs drive from Cleveland. Maybe someone closer could get it and ship it to you?

Heating the bolt and cooling it off actually shrinks the bolt. Heat it and cool it 4-7 times shrinking it each time and you can nearly take it out with your fingers.

26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You live in Northern Ontario, and Grand Portage, MN is only 45 minutes away? What the hell is the speed limit up there?

czuch, slowmotion and Hnstray like this.
  27. Summershandy

Summershandy

"I'm going to take wild ass guess that the easy out threading in and getting bigger actually wedged the flange right off like a log splitter. Easy outs are kind of stupid around here.."

You nailed it 31Vicky. I thought about it last night and thought the same thing. I've seen the ones with just an edge on them but I could only get the screw in type. Lesson learned!

28. Summershandy

Summershandy

LOL....Ontario is a very big province and even though I live in the area considered Norther Ontario, we are in fact very close to the border. We drive 55 mph on the highways not 75 mph....you'd never hang on to the crappy roads here!

29. zzford

zzford

On that ebay manifold, perhaps if you offered to make it worth his while, he might ship it to you.