Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Popping through my exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52chev, Nov 10, 2017.

1. 52chev

52chev

I have a sbc running 6 x 97s on an edelbrock X1 manifold. It has fenderwell headers and a full exhaust. While just crusing along its popping through the exhaust... but not under load. Any ideas?cheers

Sent from my SM-G360G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. What ignition are you running does it use vacuum advance,did it just start popping?

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Lean miss
    Exhaust leak can cause that too

52chev likes this.
  4. oj

oj

'Pull-over' thru the accelerator pump causing droplets of fuel to dribble into the venturii from the squirter. Fuel level is too high in one of the carbs allowing the fuel to flow too easily, the fuel weight (volume) in the bowl and the higher level lets the fuel flow when it shouldn't and minute drops enter the venturii from the squirter, they are large enough that the engine can't burn them and pop thru the exhaust.
    Lots of other things it could be as well. When you shut the engine off do you see whiteish vapor curling up from any of the carbs? Thats the one with the float too high.

pitman likes this.

5. 52chev

52chev

Running msd ignition. Only started since installing the 97s. ... used to run one 4 barrel quick fuel while running it in and it was fine.

6. 52chev

52chev

Cheers. Re did all gaskets...no change... must be in the carbs....

7. 52chev

52chev

Cheers. I will go check those things... haven't seen any smoke when it turns off..... it only pops while cruising... at idle and under load it's fine...

8. oj

oj

The vapor thing is only seen under certain conditions, temperature sensative. Like vapor rising off a pond.

9. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

My 3C IDA Weber’s do this. I pull the tops off and clean the orange sediment from the float bowls and it’s good till next time. Now that I have the car pulled down to the frame I’ll replace the original fuel line as I’ve lined the fuel tank already. This stuff is so fine it gets by a filter
    Greg

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.