Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage SEMA Battle of the Builders Winner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis4x4, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Fabulous workmanship but just doesn't trip my trigger. Not a traditional car in any way.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not in my taste but I don't count anyway. License plate looks out of place. I'm glad the Mariani Family is spending their money on cars but if they have this much to spend California is not taxing them enough. :rolleyes:.

3. rab71

rab71

The craftsmanship is excellent. Better than I could ever hope to be. But the cartoonish looks of REALLY big wheels and super low un-drivable stance has to stop. Unless it has air ride. And I don't remember there being air ride in the 30s or 60s. But I've been wrong before.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. I worked on a 58 Buick with factory air ride. Just saying

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  5. rab71

rab71

1- as stated "I've been wrong before"
    2- did it actually lower the car to the ground?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well built, thought out and planned but the look just ends up “shiney rat rod”

There’s an easy dozen things about it that visualy bother me but the one that throws me off the most is the zillion dollar creation with the un touched license plate.

To each his own isuppose

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

8. rab71

rab71

9. they did cause they were rotten. it looked awesome when they unloaded it
    we replace them with a more modern air ride set up

Wats1928 and rab71 like this.
  10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

This car looks like what happens when a millionaire redneck gets tired of being asked if his rat rod is finished yet too many times.....and he takes to one of the best shops in the nation to have it spruced up a little.

That being said I do like many elements of the car and the fit and finish is with out a doubt top notch. Congrats to Troy's team and the owners!

iwanaflattie likes this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One has to appreciate the craftsmanship but what the hell good is a car that you can't drive on regular roads? As it sits there is no way it would be able to get in or out of my driveway and it will get hung up on most parking lot entrance ways. Add to that, in this state the friendly state patrol guys are going to write a scrub line ticket the first time they see it.
    Stil there are ideas there to borrow and that is what high dollar hot rods give a lot of us. Ideas to take and run with or maybe in this case knowledge that a few ideas we were tossing around don't work all that well in the real world.

MMM1693 likes this.
  12. 34Larry

34Larry

I'm sure no one gives a shit what I think, but being a novice builder and a 70 year car nut must entitle me to something , IMHO.
    1) have said since the rat rods emerged they look unfinished and like shit, but appreciated I the engineering. This one looks like a upscale finished rat rod !!
    2) top has way to much chop in front compared to chop in rear. It makes the car look broken at the cowl where it "levels" out. I see a lot of this with coupes at times also.
    3) I agree with mgtstumpy "Sorry, it does nothing for me I'm afraid and that rear suspension setup; the downward angle on the trailing arms is so wrong".
    On the positive side.
    1) The interior is killer, a little busy maybe but nice.
    2) The color looks real good on this car.
    3) I do like the wheels they look real good on this car.

One thing that pissed me off with the broadcast though is that they broke away from it right at going into the selection of the final 3 and then the winner because they ran out of time and went over to Fantomworks . All because they sat around and bullshitted with people we see and hear all the damned time? Could it be that Velocity is loosing it to no nothing producers instead of getting into the real car culture and showing what it is that really turns our camshafts?

13. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Oddly the thing I have most problem with is that although all the screws are clocked (which also bothers me as they can't be all at the same torque) they are all Phillips/posi drive heads. Nasty. Allen heads or Torx would look better, slots would be more traditional I think. Personal peeve
    I do like the back and the half frenched lights

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I saw it in bare steel at the GNRS, really liked a lot of features in the car, craftsmanship was off the scales great. Wish I could photoshop it with a full hood and fenders.

Bob

Dino 64 likes this.
  15. These threads are as tired and predictable as the bias ply tire threads. Same responses every time. Guess what most HAMB members don't like modern style hot rods.:rolleyes:

16. we clocked bolts for shows
    some were tight, some had a little loc-tite help
    when the car was done with show season, we torqued all bolts to spec

17. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Well you learn something everyday. Thanks for the insight.

anthony myrick likes this.
  18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I have thought about a tunnel to show of my Quickchange(s).

I'm over that!

19. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Nice, a little too Steam punk

20. 400 4spd.

400 4spd.

I also liked the rear lights and pipes exit, but the Advance Auto Parts cowl scoop killed it for me. The wheels and tires say "dirt track" to me.

21. Thanks for the interior shots...very nice.

22. ....I like some features on that car, but don't care for the whole package,
    ...just think of how many "drivers" could have been built with that cash...

23. bct

bct

Tudors are hot rods?

24. The car is gorgeous

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

JOYFLEA likes this.
  25. JOYFLEA likes this.
  26. I agree, some nice individual features on this car, great craftsmanship, but a traditional hot rod?
    No way. Actually the car gives me a headache looking at it.
    Sorry.

Sent from my SM-T377P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Yes this thread is as predictable as the tire threads are but. hot rods like in any art form beauty is in the eye of the beholder there are no absolutes.

That's what makes this community so awesome.

Pufff, The37Kid and Racer29 like this.
  28. rooman

rooman

I guess that if it comes right down to it, this car was never intended to be a "traditional" hot rod. It is more artistic expression of a hot rod theme. Troy has proved that he can build traditional style cars--Ritzow's 32 roadster for example, and the Mariani's Bonneville 34 and he can also build "art" cars for well heeled customers. Troy also knows what it takes to build cars to win awards and for some customers that is part of the bottom line. The "nut boys" are not afraid to spend money as evidenced by their previous Troy cars (the 34 and the streamliner) and this car is the result of that mind set.

Roo

29. GeeRam

GeeRam

As others have said, fabulous craftsmanship and detailing...........and some nice ideas, and I personally love the windshield arrangement/detail.
    The colour is very similar to my other choice for my '32, so two people have now this year done both of my choices :mad:
    Not a fan of the seat details and trim though.
    However, agree with others in that as an overall package, it doesn't float my boat, but then I'm not the one writing the cheque for it, and I'm sure the person who has is very happy with it, and likely doesn't give a monkey's arse that 'we' don't :)

And from other posts here, I'm glad I'm not the only who winced at the leccy fan so clearly visible through that grille which seems so at odds with the attention to detail everywhere else on the car :eek:

Bandit Billy likes this.