Register now to get rid of these ads!

hamber needs help posting video

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by racer-x, Nov 10, 2017.

1. im not a tech savy guy. I grew up in the days before computers and such. my dilemma is I have a outstanding collection of vintage racing from drag racings golden years. mainly 63-66. a good portion of the footage is from private collections and have never been seen by the public. when I was running around the country with my blown altered wheelbase dodge I collected videos from the locals at the track we raced at so the collection covers tracks from all over. the footage ranges from cecil county out east to George rays and phoenix Alabama down south to bee line dragways first ever afx event. i have byron racing four wide in fantastic detail. I cant count how many different tracks are in there. I have had this collection just sitting around for 20 plus years. it needs to be shared. I think the time is right to do it. I know I can get the video transferred at walgreens to a disc. how do I get it from a disc to the hamb? this is not like posting one pic as i have over 100 hrs of tape. don't explain it over my head with all kinds of fancy wording. just please keep it as simple as possible. it would be a cool winter project.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. rjones35

rjones35

I'm no expert, but I've done it before by uploading video to Youtube, then copying the link. Not sure if thats right or wrong, but it worked.

lothiandon1940 and squirrel like this.
  3. wvenfield

wvenfield

What he said.......the one good thing about Youtube is if the film is shaky, you can smooth it out on Youtube with just a click.

I would also probably upload to Youtube and just post the link. It's pretty easy once you have it digitized.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. I have done it that way from my phone when posting pics. its how do I go from the disc to utube. my wife says the home computer does not take discs.

5. Durbinspeedshop

Durbinspeedshop
    from Missouri

You could go to the local library, They’ll have computers that take discs

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

I bet whoever transfers your film can put it on a thumbdrive.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

^ what he said

8. Good luck. Hope you have some stuff from Aquasco in Southern Maryland.

Bowtie Coupe and wraymen like this.
  9. im not sure about that one. I know I have cecil county with fx cars burning through the gold dust. there is some footage of the flying carpet racing shartmans comet. the awb cars goes off the track to the left crashing into a chain link fence. I haven't looked at these in a long time. I want to post them before the tapes go bad due to age. when I made them there were no discs at the time.

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Racer X,
    I made the mistake of transferring my son's super 8 mm movies to a disc at Costco...similar to Walgreen's. The disc is nice, but it is hard to get files off of the disc. Some have copyrights and it may be a locked disc. If you can find a person in your neighborhood commercial area or general area that transfers movies to any format, you are in luck. Have them transferred to a flash drive. It seems like you have a ton of hours, so you might want to buy a external portable hard drive around 1tb. They are pretty inexpensive on Amazon. The company can transfer all of your movies to the hard drive. Now, you can take it anywhere and hook up via an usb connection to watch/edit the files.

(Upon getting the hard drive home, upload all of the films to your home computer or back up hard drive. You will want an "original file" section in case a mistake is made while you transfer or edit your movies.)

I bought several EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES to store computer, digital films and photos, as they take up a lot of space on the regular hard drive and slow the thing down. So, take the films and the hard drive to the place and the guy can put all films onto the hard drive, not on a disc. Ok, discs can be made at home from your edited files to give away to friends so they can play it continuously on their dvd/cd players.

Jnaki
    I had a 39 minute film of my drag racing films from 58-64 on a flash drive. The photo tech guys setting up the Lions Dragstrip Museum display made a DVD out of my 39 minute film and ran it all day and into the night at the museum. A disc is good for this purpose...but, not to constantly get files off of it to make smaller you tube ready films.

I ran this address on a Google search: Franksville, WI video transfer service
    There are at least 10 pages of companies near you in Franksville. But, most direct you to Racine. Call them to see if they can transfer your movies to an external hard drive. You will be trusting them with the originals, so make your decision well.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  11. Is your original footage on film or video tape? Converting from video tape is fairly straight forward and DIY hardware and software is readily available in a wide range of prices and capabilities.

https://www.amazon.com/digital-video-converter/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:digital video converter

The advantages of doing it yourself are the control of quality, the type of files you save and the way you want to organize and edit them.

There are commercial services available to do the conversion as well but as jnaki mentioned they may provide you with discs with limited usability. They may be recorded in an uncommon file type that plays on your computer or DVD player but not be in a suitable file type to upload online or edit easily after the conversion. At least not without converting them again to another usable file type. It can get a bit messy.

You'll likely want to do at least some minimal editing to get the video files to a more manageable size and a file type that is acceptable to YouTube. You may already have Windows Movie Maker on your PC and it works well enough for outputting short videos. And if I remember correctly it gives you at least a few choices of file types to save your video in. If necessary, basic video editing software can be purchased without breaking the bank.

I'm more of a DIY guy for this kind of work, but if you have a commercial service do the conversion for you try to find out in advance what kind of file types they can supply (.wmv, .mp4, etc.). Getting a disc with several individual video files may be easier to work with (depending on your planned usage) than having everything on a single disc that will only play on your PC or DVD player.

If you're converting from movie film, here's an idea of what lies ahead for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=1R6F4VB5wos

Feel free to post any additional questions and we'll try to walk you thru it as best we can.

jnaki likes this.