Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Assembling a '40 pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36couper, Nov 6, 2017.

1. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I will be getting my 40 Ford pickup back from the paint shop this week.
    Anyone have any good hints on how to re-assemble it? Should I start with the hood, inner fenders, fenders and grille? In which order? It's been a few years since I've done this.
    I just hope it fits as well as it did when I had it mocked up.

2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

First put on some music that calms you when you are frustrated. Bolt everything on nice and loose then fit the hood to the cowl. Then get the hood to fit the grill assembly. The fenders come next. Just keep adjusting things until they line up as close as yo can get them before going all out on tightening the bolts. I know that's a pretty simple and brief description but that's what you will most likely end up doing in the end. Oh and plan for it to take awhile,Take your time and take breaks when frustrated before you damage some of that new paint. Good luck.

3. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Nailed It!!

LOU WELLS and The 39 guy like this.
  4. kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.

5. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Do you feel that the spacer blocks between the frame and cab are fitted well enough to help your alignment at the front fenders/hood?...

olscrounger likes this.
  6. Cookie-I am excited to see this coming together! I would put the hood on first-just fold up a big towel on top of your rad for it to sit on-if you can get it to sit nice on the cowl-even better. Then loose fit the inner fenders.
    I would get the fenders,grille all bolted together...loose. A little vaseline between painted parts will help them move around a little without stripping off that nice new paint when you start aligning everything. I would tighten up front fenders gradually from the running boards, lower cowl-and line up the grille,hood front fenders where they come together. I find myself going back and forth a bit-but the bolts in the middle of the fenders can be done later-it allows you to push them up and align the gap to the hood better.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  7. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

All great advice! Thanks. I will definitely take my time. I have a tendency to get frustrated easily so this will be a lesson for me.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  8. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Here is some articles to help you through the process.

Attached Files:

kgp50, kidcampbell71 and The 39 guy like this.
  9. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Thanks for the article. I'm printing it off now.

10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Those are good articles buzz4041! It is nice to have them bundled together like that. I have saved them to my documents file.

buzz4041 likes this.
  11. Yes, great info. buzz4041. Good for the files of any '40-'41 owner.