Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Punch/flange tool??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Dan

Dan

Who has any input on a good, reasonably priced sheet metal punch/flange tool? The HF one seems to make shallow flanges (however I would use this tool probably 90% of the time for punching), the Klutch brand from Northern seems pretty stout (up to 14 ga.) however I am sure it is an import as well...Amazon reviews are all over the board for the ones they have offered.
    Any thoughts?? Thanks-

2. Hand or air operated?

3. Dan

Dan

4. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

try tmr customs , Canada

5. Dan

Dan

Bought some dimple dies from TMR customs and I really like them! The tool I am talking about is air over hydraulic and punches like 3/16" holes for plug welds... thanks though-

6. wahoo

wahoo

Mittler Bros. Not cheap, but quality tools.

Just Gary likes this.
  7. wahoo

wahoo

Sorry, thought you were looking for dimple dies.

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have an Astro brand for many years works good never a problem.

9. I bought a HF one about 8 yrs ago and has held up and worked well.

10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have a Harbor Freight punch and flange tool. Most of my air tools are Harbor Freight.

11. Five.0Forty

Five.0Forty
    from Oklahoma

I've been looking at the flange/punch tools myself. Eastwood has one that runs about $10 more than the Harbor Freight ones, can't speak for the quality of either though as I'm still on the fence myself.

12. finn

finn

The punch end of the HF works well, albeit it could be better with a deeper throat.

The flange end is next to useless, I agree.

13. X2.:cool:

14. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought the Harbor Freight version and it worked ok for holes, at 29 days into the warranty it quit working so I got another one. I don't use it daily so a few days later it didn't work either, I took part of it apart and now, it seems to be working and I don't think the flange tool is worth much and yes it would be nice to put the hole deeper. I guess it is better than hand drilling the holes, most of the time

15. I bought one at a local tool store about 40 years ago. No idea on brand. Does a great flange up to 18 gauge. I put a little oil in each time I use it - a couple times a year probably. It is handy.

16. Dan

Dan

The Eastwood ones I was looking at placed a "bevel" on the edge of the sheet metal rather than a flange, I think I would rather have a flange??

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I have one that works well for both flanges and holes but I don't know what brand it is. I bought it in the late 70s and the tag came off years ago.

18. I had an old HF for years before it quit.
    I got a new one and it worked for 5 mins and quit. Got another and the same shit. The new one is much bigger and more ass but worthless. The flang jaws don't offset enough either because the adjustment is machined wrong.

I borrowed my neighbors and it worked great. It Looked older than me too.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I bought mine at Harbor Freight or Eastwood... probably the same one. it punches and flanges good, though I don't really do any flanging. for holes I like my Roper Whitney hand punch better. comes with several different size punches and you have way more depth than with the pneumatic version.

20. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I have one that's over 10 years old and it's a astro brand I believe. It has always worked fine. One thing to remember is that these will not handle over 90 to 95 pds of air pressure for very long. Used snap on, Mac tools and my astro, none lasted long on 105 air pressure.

One thing about these is that they are a piece of cake to fix. When they go bad it's just a simple o-ring that blows. They work on air over hydraulic. So replace the o-ring and be sure to refill the head with trans fluid, 99 % of the peeps don't realize that it has to be full to work.

I've rebuilt several of them myself.

21. Immo check out that o ring
    Thanks