Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunday models

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by milo1303s, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Mike Nagatani

Mike Nagatani

This will be a shell body. Not sure if yet I will cast it to resin. We just finished the Fiat Topolino in print. Image shown is the Fiat in 1:8 Roach Coach in 1:25 and Stiletto 1:24
    [​IMG]

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Mike, I also build in 1/8th and I'd like to know what else you might have made in that scale. The Fiat body could be tempting if the price is right for me. Have you ever done a 3W or 5W deuce body to fit the Monogram Big Deuce kits? I bet you could make a zillion bucks selling those! Gary

els likes this.
  3. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

I would be interested in the '32 5 window and also a '27 T roadster in 1:8 scale.

els likes this.
  4. Mike Nagatani

Mike Nagatani

Correct me if im wrong, but have both of them been done in resin? You guys tell me....that was my general understanding. Was the 5 window not chopped though? Let me know!

rodncustomdreams and els like this.
  5. Mike Nagatani

Mike Nagatani

This one is not to far off from being done...about 75% done. E100 line
    [​IMG]

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I have some of those chopped 3W 32 bodies. They are very crude and the insides are disasters awaiting surgery to make serviceable. I was planning on using one of them as a Comp coupe on a Lindberg dragster chassis and one I was going to try as a fenderless rod. The haven't been available for years, as far as I know. Gary

els likes this.
  7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And the Econoline body looks amazing!!!!! Gary

els likes this.
  8. Mike Nagatani

Mike Nagatani

Edeuce resin company had a 5 window, but it wasnt chopped. If I do it...its a no brainer it gets chopped. You guys tell me is a chopped 34 32 three or five window the holy grail for 1:8. Hot on my list is the willys and e100. Lets get the list started!

Mike

rodncustomdreams and els like this.
  9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Mike, I still think you have a GOLDEN opportunity to do a Deuce coupe. Especially... and seriously... ... if it is a 100 percent perfect fit, drop down over the Monogram full fendered 1/8th Deuce kit's fenders and hood / grille. Even more so if it's a 3W!!! 3 or 5 window, chopped or not, do them all!!!! Gary

els and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. Mike Nagatani

Mike Nagatani

I just saw on E...B...a 1:8 Five window chopped. Three window may not have done! So that's maybe the one. I have the chopped grill!
    [​IMG]

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a 40 coupe almost done.

Attached Files:

Jigger, rodncustomdreams, els and 4 others like this.
  12. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

WOULD LOVE TO SEE A 30-31 MODEL A COUPE IN 1/16 TO 1/8

13. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Mike, I am interested in the stock '32 5 window in 1:8 scale. I may want more than one copy. Note my avatar;).

els likes this.
  14. I'm in! I have a half finished big deuce that could use a coupe body!

els likes this.
  15. I work in both 1/16 and 1/8. More bodies in both scales would be great!!

els likes this.
  16. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Minicraft makes these in 1/16:

upload_2017-11-8_8-14-19.jpeg

Attached Files:

17. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

NOT A COUPE, & THE MINICRAFT BODIES ARE NOT THAT GREAT

els likes this.
  18. Agreed, I have 2 Minicraft roadsters I "set aside" due to fit problems.

Jigger and els like this.
  19. Mike Nagatani

Mike Nagatani

Anything in the 1:8 and 1:16 is relatively thin compared to 1:25, 25. I got into the big scale cause the small scale is too damn small and hard to work on.
    I started building models as a kid and restored and hot rodded 1:1. 1:8 is the closest to the real scale.

els likes this.
  20. topher5150

topher5150

I want to do a 1:8 model a coupe on deuce rails

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Further on the 1/8th bodies, mine are buried in storage boxes so I contacted an old 1/8th buddy, Al (aka Old-Hermit) and he said E-deuce (Mike Gradis, who has passed) made un-chopped 3 & 5 window 32 coupe bodies. Bob Hayes made the chopped 3 window. Jim Pelosi is currently working on re-popping the un-chopped 3 window and there is a guy on e bay selling the 5 window now. Jim also has cast a 33 coupe and has Al's my masters of the 34 pickup cab and 29 Tudor he also plans to cast.

I don't now how to contact Jim Pelosi or the other caster on ebay, but I'm sure we can track them down if need be.

As you may know, the insides of those edeuce coupes are extremely rough and take HOURS of work just to smooth them / hide the mess before you do any interior work. IMHO, anyone doing new bodies should take great care to not only make sure they fit the Monogram deuce kits like a glove, but also have smooth interior surfaces - ie look like an injection molded body on the insides. Gary

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  22. The problem is after all of the clean-up efforts, the bodies may be to valuable to go to market.

els likes this.
  23. I have several of the old, 1/8 scale big Deuce models. Put me down for any coupe body. I would just like to build a high-boy, on 32 rails. So any 1/8 coupe body would be okay. Just P.M. me if anyone has anything. And add me to the list when one's available too. { Thanks } Ron...

els likes this.
  24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If you have a great master, clean and accurate inside and out, then they only real cost is for the rubber in a new mold. If you made the mistake of re-popping the old bodies with the crappy interiors, why didn't you clean them up before making your molds? Leaving that mess for the purchaser to clean up is just dumb, IMHO. The cost of the rubber is the same and only one person has to prepare the good master. And you'd have a lot of happy customers. Gary

els likes this.
  25. Mike Nagatani

Mike Nagatani

I was not aware Mike G passed away which explains why the site is gone.

Couldn't agree with you more Gary. I was printing and casting my wheels knowing the print cost was a bit too expensive for the market. I took a break and wanted to make bodies and its another ball game going from print to cast. Wheels are simple and cost effective to punch out molds. Bodies take much more work and prep to get ready. Much more work on the computer no less.
    At the end of the day I think along with others are right to get the "master" spot on and cast from there.
    Here is my latest 1:8. Its a topolino that will get tweeked and refined once more then I will take the time to prep it for master. Thanks Gary for the feedback! I do really appreciate along with the other responses on this.

How does that sound?

[​IMG]

26. I thought you might like to see the 1/8th scale 3window body I purchased several years ago (bad memory, but I believe it was Edeuce - very nice to deal with as I recall).. It appears to be stock height - certainly not a hard chop if at all. I have yet to get around to building it up and have never worked with resin bodies, but I have high hopes of replicating my 1:1 car. The interior of the shell is indeed rough below the cowl, the headliner area and the inside of the deck lid; the side panels are pretty smooth. The major concern I have with my build is the blank firewall. It looks like there may be enough material there (1/8") to recess the Big Deuce firewall.. Just how brittle is resin? I would very much like to open everything up - and I have to chop it too! Here's hoping!
    IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1786 copy.jpg

Dave

27. Mike, the printed bodies you intend to put into production are great choices! If you are looking down the road for another potentially popular subject (albeit a very tough one), you might consider a '39 deluxe/'40 standard Ford coupe..

Dave

509garyd and els like this.
  28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Like a plan! Gary

els likes this.
  29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And for more fun, this is what I was doing with one of those edeuce bodies a few years back, turning it into a 1960s era Wisconsin modified. But the project is in a box some place... finish TBD. I sectioned it thru the center / B pillars and bobbed the tail all in one swell foop. I'll probably take a few scale inches out of the center of the body, too, before it's all said and done. Those cars ended up being about 32-36" wide. A SBC with zoomie headers and Hillborn injectors, and some of the classic Mad Max style bumpers those cars had will finish it off. Gary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Mike Nagatani

Mike Nagatani

I have never had to the chance to work with resin as in the case you are speaking about. I have only dealt with sanding my wheels and it seems to sand quite nice. With that said......I would go about the chop and firewall cut slowly with a fine blade of any sort. I have cut one of my wheels in half with a fine hack saw blade it cut like plastic.

els and rodncustomdreams like this.