Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Banana Resurrection - 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Banana, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Made the round trip to North Myrtle Beach last weekend. Its the second longest trip of the year for me. I was not able to test the car before we left so I had my fingers crossed it was ready to go. Got there Friday night and they were running a bunch of pony cars mostly with street tires from what I saw. None of the SEGA cars I saw testing was getting ahold of the starting line. I elected to pass on testing and use the first qualifying run as a test pass.

First pass it headed to the wall in low gear with the wheels in the air and I stayed with it. It touched down on the gear change then went back up but I had the wheels cocked enough when it hit the ground that it aimed it back into the lane and we were able to run it out. Tied the quickest run the car ever made in legal SEGA trim. That place is at sea level and the qualifying times showed it. More than half the field in C/Gas was under the 6.50 ET that forces you to weigh. We ended up middle of the pack somewhere. As the day went on it got quicker and quicker. Had to run Doug Dobbins in the second round (we were tied for second place in the points battle at that point). He got just a whisker on the tree and it was enough at the stripe to get the win. I had made my best run ever by over a tenth and it was not enough. We loaded up and came home. Doug went on to win. He ran Danny Byrd in the Semis and Danny missed a gear and Doug's opponent went red in the final. If I could have squeaked by, I could have won the event. But woulda, coulda, shoulda, doesn't change the outcome one bit...LOL.

The car is fresh, running good, and ready for the finals at Shadyside on Nov 4. The pressure is off. I am a solid 3rd in points and have no threat from behind. Even if I didn't go I would finish the season in 3rd. However, the two guys in front of me are tied with each other for the lead. Pressure is on them. It's theirs to lose. I plan on being the spoiler. I am still mathematically in it. If they have trouble in qualifying or lose early, I can still move up. So only good things can happen to me they must worry about not letting victory slip out of their fingers. It will be epic. Stay tuned.

By the way, I took a new job and am moving to Oklahoma City area as soon as I get home from Shadyside. Good thing the season is over because I am going to be very busy for the next several months.

2. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This was how close it was. It was just as close at the finish line but his win light came on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

OKC BB.png

Guy I work with photo shopped me in this pic. I thought it was hilarious.

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Looks like SEGA Texas style may have a new member.

5. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Congrats Rusty! Hope the move goes well! Ain't being the spoiler fun?!

seadog, Bad Banana, Dog_Patch and 2 others like this.
  6. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hopefully we will still see you some next season...... wouldn't be the same.

Bad Banana, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good luck!!!
    If you need help or a place to park...not sure if I am on the way.

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

Big Chief better look out for Bad Banana. He is coming for the 405 list.

9. catdad49

catdad49

Rusty, hope to see you makin' yours moves at Shadyside. Congrats on the new job, another chapter of the Bad Banana saga is about to begin. Good Luck in all you do!

10. catdad49

catdad49

Had some thoughts like the photo above when I heard about the move to OK City. Last year they basically ruled out pro mods, can nitrous etc. Be the next step?! Stay tuned and you will see some wheels up, gear jammin' action featuring a new threat to the list, The Bad Banana!!!!

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Way to Go Rusty ! Bad Banana was the class of the field Saturday at Shadyside. The driver looked like he wanted it bad. the way you were chopping down the tree. Great win !

12. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Great job Rusty !! I was standing at the scales after your winning run to wave. Don't think you saw me. Probably couldn't see past the big smile you had on your face with the time slip between your teeth !!

13. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Lol... I couldn't see much of anything. The windshield in that old heap is in pretty bad shape and hard to see thru in the dark. Luckily you can see enough of the tree and you know the track is straight ahead...

What a week or so I have had. Between finishing up with my old job, getting ready for my new one, traveling to see family and friends before I go to OKC, going to Shadyside and back to MI, then flying to Texas on Monday, it has not really sunk in yet. Winning 2 SEGA races in one season is beyond my wildest dreams. We almost pulled off the championship but fell just short to Doug Dobbins. I can point to several mistakes and issues I had this season that made the difference but "woulda, coulda, shoulda" doesn't matter. I am very happy with how it turned out. Being able to take an old wore-out has-been race car and making it a heads up contender against the best true gassers in the world is what dreams are made of.

I'll try to find some time in the next few days to put down the real story of the Shadyside race but right now I have to get to work..lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Good luck with the new job bud!!

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  15. catdad49

catdad49

What an end to the season, know that you must be excited, exhausted and maybe just a tad bit sad! Hope to see you and the Ol’ Bad Banana in the future and Best Wishes in your new endeavors.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  16. racer_dave

racer_dave

Just read the whole thread- sounds like you're getting the most out of her. Great job, keep racing.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Just finally catching my breath here in OKC. Its been a wild last couple weeks. The win in Shadyside is a mere blip on the radar and I barely can remember it. Been very busy trying to take in all my new responsibilities on the new job plus trying to coordinate getting my place in Michigan ready for the market while at the same time trying to find a place here that I can move in to.

Back to the HAMB friendly stuff...LOL.

Shadyside was really a dream come true for me. I had pretty much given up on winning another race after Ringgold. Everyone is getting faster every race and my junk is about wrung out. I think there is still a little left in it but honestly, it too damn heavy and boxy to compete with the little light weight Chevy 2s and such. Most cars now in C/Gas are 400-500 lbs lighter and they are making similar power. Big cubic inch SBCs can't make the steam per CI like the smaller motors can. The old Bad Banana is heavy and using the big stroke is they only shot it had.

Big driver error on the first qualifier almost ended my season early. I had some sort of brain fade and when I was shifting from 3rd to 4th I think I started to shift it and realized it was too soon and changed my mind which is a huge no-no. I ended up pulling it into neutral and once that happens you have no chance to get it into the next gear at wide open throttle. I ended up grinding the shift sleeve into the 4th speed gear at 8000 rpm and I cringed. I coasted across the finish line and thought it was broke. I wasn't exactly sure what happened at first as it happened so fast. I ran it thru the gears on the way back from the shut down and it had all 4 with no noise or jumping out so I thought I was ok.

Second qualifier it worked fine but I made sure I pulled hard like I should. First round I get the 2016 world champ Tim Bailey in the Alley Cat. I left on him and had 4th gear OK and was able to win the round. Second round I get Danny Byrd in the Junk Yard Dog. Danny leaves just before the tree is fired and I win by default. One the run, the car launched toward the wall and I had to breath the throttle a bit but I ran it out even though I knew I won. Went to go into 4th and since I was relaxed, I didn't pull hard and I grind it AGAIN!!!. I test it on the return road and it seems to work but now I know the trans is hurt. I figure I will just make sure I pull 4th as hard as I can the next round.

I get Jared Bailey in the Hit Man 3rd round. He is the 3rd former winner from this season I have to run and he beat me earlier this year in Knoxville in the final. I leave and don't see or hear him but I am running it out anyway. I pull HARD on the 3-4 shift and .... it won't go... Luckily Jared had something happen on the launch and I was able to coast to the win.

I drive back and realize I am not going to be able to use 4th gear the next run. I am down to 3 cars now and have to run the #1 qualifier Todd Blackwell in the Slingshot Chevy 2. Another winner from this year and a car that is WAYYY faster than the old Bad Banana on a good day. I figure this is my last round as Todd had taken out Doug the 2017 Champion the round before. We stage up and honestly I don't remember the run except that in 3rd gear I was ahead of him and said to myself "DONT SHIFT!!!". I let it just run out in 3rd and I could hear him coming but he couldn't get there. I had hit the tree enough to beat him! Won on a huge holeshot!

Puts me in the final with my old nemesis Jimmy Huff in the Hoopty Wagon. We staged up and it was the closest race of the day (as the finals usually are). I got a little on the tree but I heard him the whole way in my left ear. I ran it out again in 3rd and it was enough. We won the final race of the year!

Was a great season. I have no regrets. I am so thankful for Quain Stott to put forth such a gargantuan effort to put this whole deal together and keep it fair and allow this old wore-out-obsolete-has-been race car to at least have a shot at still being competitive over 50 years past it's prime. If it weren't for him, this old car would probably be sitting in the back of my shop covered in boxes and dust again. I owe him a debt of gratitude I can never ever repay. I've had the time of my life with The South East Gassers and I hope and pray I can continue even in this next phase of my life.

And for all who have followed this journey with me on these pages. Thank you. Without the encouragement I have received on these pages, I would never have been able to pull this off. Peace everyone and God Bless.

18. jimdillon

jimdillon

Congrats Rusty. You have certainly made your Dad proud and also made a bunch of us HAMBer railbirds proud as well. Great job. Good luck with your next chapter.

19. Dude. You so rule ! Your dad, and that danged bah-bah banana are loving the life, you've shared with everyone watching. It would have been a waste sitting in boxes and dust. Good God bless indeed. Yay!!

20. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

rusty everytime i see a post from you i smile keep up the good work and you and jack will keep putting up the wins

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

My wife and I made the trip to Shadyside to see your win. It was obvious who wanted that race the most.
    Just watched the video from Shadyside on you tube and you could see the hole shots you were putting on your opponents. Great job !

22. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

You've got to come back to defend and so I can get my Bad Banana shirt I forgot to get at Shady Side !! Well wishes to you and Sharon on your new opportunities !!

loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  23. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Here is the official video. It's an hour and a half so get your beverage and get comfortable. Its a great one.

24. ds55

ds55

Rusty, I just wanted to echo everyone else and say thanks for this thread as well as your effort and involvement with SEGA. I know you have to make some really long road trips to stay competitive.

It's freaking sweet to see your dad's car come to life again. I bought a 55 Chevy about a year ago to build into a period correct gasser and it is through research that I found SEGA and then of course the bad banana. I was able to make it to the Lyons, IN race with my dad since I live near Indianapolis. It was awesome and every racer there looked like they were having a blast. I idolize the period correct 55 chevys of SEGA and will use them as reference when I starts on mine.

Thanks again, Dan Schafer

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

25. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Been too busy to update this thread. The guy who does the videos for SEGA did one for me. It is pretty damn cool. Hope everyone is staying warm. Hope to get caught up soon so I can get back to normal kinda...

tmf, fast30coupe, Hang'emHigh and 6 others like this.
  26. glrbird

glrbird

I LOVE IT!!!! One of my favorite song from my youth. Makes me feel 20 years old again.

loudbang likes this.
  27. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Rusty= real deal....

loudbang likes this.
  28. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Great Video !!

loudbang likes this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Dad is up there smiling down on this one, good stuff.

On another note you ever check your 4 wheel alignment? It may be just the video but in the far shots down the track near the top end it seems to be running dogleged a tad.

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  30. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

One Michigan guy singing in the video, while another Michigan guy is driving!! Very cool!!
    Cheers bud!!