Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bias versus radials...Oh noo!! Not again!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodmano, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Run what you like. I have radials on my Buick, they look good and were cheap. Lee Pratt runs the same tires, if it's good enough for Lee it's good enough for me.

[​IMG] Photo by Zman

[​IMG]

Jugornot, heyitsnate and Stogy like this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

Traditional looking hot rod is close enough for me too! Don't want to get too anal.....like the restoration guys.

Jugornot and zzford like this.
  3. What would I know! I don't even think you need thread.:rolleyes: Lol 20171014_104937.jpg I do run radial tires, seat belts, etc. on the Nomad. It all depends on the car, for me. But It's your money, so it's your call.;) Ron... 20161108_095014.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. zzford

zzford

When I was a kid, the whole idea was to make the car perform to its maximum potential. I guess that's still stuck in my head. That's why I have always run radials and disc brakes. I also prefer the easy-to-get- horsepower-out-of small block Chevy. Belly button? You bet, but it does run like stink, is reliable as a concrete block and I can get parts anywhere.

Dino 64, figure8 and Gman0046 like this.
  5. When I was a young man bias ply tires were cheap and radials were expensive!

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, you knew threads about bias versus radial tires had been done to death yet you started another one with the express purpose of letting folks know how YOU felt? Sorry, man. That's pretty jacked up.

Jugornot, wvenfield, Paul and 5 others like this.
  7. louisb

louisb

“Yawn” Must be a slow day on the Hamb.

—louis

Jugornot and 117harv like this.
  8. What one thinks is traditional another does not. I think it is something that can not be set in stone.
    I am sorta like beaner. Tight wad. had to be that way, growing up in the '50s. Just the way it was. A hot rod with WW's? Do not remember a one. And if traditional is what you are after, and WW's fit that concept, for goodness sake, leave the dammed rub rib, or what ever you deem to call it , black. They were never white in the era you are trying to be traditional about.

Traditional is in the eye of the beholder.

Ben

Jugornot likes this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Correct response. There has to be something else to yak about other than bias ply tires and YOM license plates. I know...TECH WEEK!

Ron Funkhouser, RMR&C and squirrel like this.
  10. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I'm with tfeverfred on this one.

11. I run radials on one side and bias ply on the other....I just have to work out which way to drive down the road so I can impress my target audience.
    I like driving, & I also like to decide which lane I am driving in, I dont like it when my tyres make that decision for me, so for speeds over 25mph, I will stick with radials.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the only thing I would put bias ply's on would be something with a flathead and no fenders. beyond that it makes no difference to me. I never even really notice the type of tires on cars I see.

Jugornot and Gman0046 like this.
  13. pecker head

pecker head

IMG_0133.PNG IMG_0177.JPG After 10 years of out of round Coker Bias , I finally switched to Coker fake bias radials. The BEST TIRES I've ever ran.

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

49ratfink X2. Who on earth gives a shit about the type of tires you have on your car?

Jugornot likes this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just the people trying to build a legitimate looking era correct car. Nothing is worse than walking up to an otherwise period perfect car , when just one detail ruined it. Some people get it. And I don’t understand why the ones that don’t get it hang around here when that is what this place is about.

And am I the only one who has never had an out of round bias tire? I put 80000 miles on my impala on bias, yes out of town trips to Ohio, Oklahoma, Alabama, Indiana and many other places over the years. My car rides and drives as smooth as a gravy sandwich at 75 mph....[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Starting to sound like an A.A.C.A. site............ :eek:

17. Do they have gravy sandwiches at Scotty B's?

Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and Moriarity like this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've been doing this message board thing for like 22 years now I think? I still can't believe this argument comes up so often... I should have an automated response ready to go. Sadly, I don't so I'll keep this simple:

Early cars deserve bias tires...

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Both cars are mid-60's customs... You can get away with them in such applications in my opinion.

20. zzford

zzford

Boy howdy!

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When correct looking bias ply tires start being available at every tire store again I will consider buying them,I am too cheap to buy much from the specialty companies and none of my vehicles are built to a specific era so it really does not matter at this time. If I ever get lucky and find one of those barn finds that is a old hotrod then I will spend the money on correct tires.

Jugornot likes this.
  22. If this question was of great importance I guess I would have to re-evaluate my hot rod time to determine if a few hundred thousand miles iof great trips, great people and great places to be at has been all for naught and maybe I didn't have any fun at all because I did the lions share of it on radial tires.

Way too much drama over what is ultimately personal preference.

23. And what makes you think a radial is one bit safer than a bias ply? Those radials quite commonly fly apart and blow out at speed. About 25 years ago. A close friend of mine his wife was driving their Frieghtliner and decided to buy two new steering tires for the Truck. She had the worn steering tires moved back to the rear drive axle. And bought two new Radials and had them mounted on the front. Firestone Radials. And before she got to southern Calif . One of those brand new Radials blew out on a downgrade. Becky Schrader lost control and died in the crash.

24. adam401

adam401

You know what the thing is (and I fucking wish I wasn't even posting on this thread)? To a lot of guys on this forum the details are damn near everything.

Early hose clamps
    Old hardware ( bolts without grading marks etc.)
    Ford spring perch bolts
    generators
    cloth braded wire
    Early guages
    Seats built with springs not foam
    And yes bias ply tires

Amongst many others, these are details I appreciate on a car. It makes the package complete. No stone left unturned.
    I want people to look at a car I have and think I found it and didn't build it.

Maybe that's not your thing. Totally fine with me. There are cars I love that don't check all those boxes. Badass cars. It doesn't make you a bad person. It doesn't make you a shitty hot rod guy. It doesn't make me a dick or a snob or judgemental because those details are important to me. Its a thing that if it doesn't resonate with you it probably won't ever and that's totally ok too.

Texas57, scotty t, warbird1 and 7 others like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We did the same thing in my golf group (the Friday Afternoon Golf Society) when we got tired of repeating the same one liners. For example;
    When a guy 'man-hands' a putt 6 feet past the hole..."looks like that went off in your hand, need my towel?"
    Or a putt that doesn't make it half way to the hole elicits a "does your wife play too?"
    Rather than these complicated and time consuming responses we abbreviated them to "towel" and "wife". Much easier, saves time but still conveys the message effectively.

Bias! nuff said

hotrodmano likes this.
  26. Now we have another T to add to the list................Tiki's, Tattoo's, Traditional, Tits....and now Tires...........lol.........no offence but who cares, run whatever you decide YOU like............your car, your choice.........lol...............andyd

Jugornot and dirty old man like this.
  27. A Boner

A Boner

The reason this type thread comes up so often has to do with the experience some guys have had with some tires that aren't inexpensive, don't last many miles and are far to often just about impossible to balance. Good thing they look fantastic. It's hard to spend good money on a "luck of the draw" item. As for how they "handle".....not a problem for me.....just wish they didn't bounce at freeway speeds. Seems like Corky is a nice guy, and is making a good living, just wish he would throw us a bone or two. All I want is 4.50/4.75-16's and 7.50- 16's that roll, not bounce at 80 mph.....if they lasted 20,000 miles that would be a bonus.

pecker head likes this.
  28. Rand Man

Rand Man

This subject can be confusing. I think I found a tire I like. Here’s a photo. Could somebody tell me, is this a bias ply or a radial tire? [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. bias vs radials and "a christmas story" yearly favorites........

30. 117harv

117harv

Who cares if you don't like bias and only run radials, this is a TRADITIONAL hot rod page, discuss them elsewhere... PLEASE kill this thread...

Old wolf, Paul, hotrodmano and 2 others like this.