Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Long time lurker, now Model A owner!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe's Junk Garage, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Joe's Junk Garage

Joe's Junk Garage

A473294B-5122-4D04-8D27-2BEA89BB0BF0.jpeg 12E659ED-8A81-4D2F-AAB3-A8E969B9A8F0.jpeg EB33905C-DD5C-47AA-BE3A-4C16356D96CF.jpeg E9824351-A7EF-446F-8491-E9E690ED20B8.jpeg F887CC6E-89BE-481F-B9A4-34562B53A320.jpeg 344DCA67-CE91-4808-A311-6D3F394615C0.jpeg 70A9AF60-5B6D-46A7-92B3-86C82F8230E7.jpeg Hello everyone,

I’ve been gleaning information here for so long that I don’t know who to thank first! I’ve wanted a Model A for so long I can’t believe it’s finally come to be. Thanks to my wonderful wife, as she found the car for me! And the wonderful family that sold me the car, I’m now the owner of a one owner 1928 Model A Phaeton! This “A” has a very interesting history from a one owner family, and true barn find! The first B&W picture shows the owner, a Judge from the state where I live. He’s the original owner. It’s a family holiday picture taken in the actual car. In the second picture the man holding the actual B&W picture in his hand was the very young kid in the back seat of the car with his head up and wearing the cowboy hat! That was his Grandfather driving the car in the picture. They were selling off many items from the family farm, the Model A was one of the items for sale. From what I’ve been told the “A” was sitting for over sixty two years! So, I have done a little work over the last week. Reinstalled the hood, radiator and grill. Started cleaning the wheels. I’m looking for a known good running engine as the original one is stuck. Keeping it for when the funds are back in inventory.

2. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where are you located? - you really should put that in your profile so it shows up in your avatar. It is always nice to put a place with a face.

By the way, that is a nice Model A. Enjoy it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  3. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Nice score! Tubs are soooo cool! What's the plan??

4. I AGREE 100%..Its like a lot of members are in the witness protection program..Afraid to tell where the hell they live..

5. Joe's Junk Garage

Joe's Junk Garage

I live in N.W. Indiana! Clean older cars are not common here, expecially in this age of vehicle. Only if pampered from the start. Everything in this part of the country has rust!

6. that's a great story, congratulations

7. Welcome to the fraternity, JJG. Us Midwest hotrodders adhere to the credo, "We ain't afraid of no stinkin' rust." We have to, as you've noted, because everything around here is rusty. Can't wait to see some progress,

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  8. manyolcars

manyolcars

I love Model As too. I starting collecting Model A parts 25 years before I got one. Buying a running engine doesnt mean much unless you know the mileage. They run well until you are out of shims so dont pay much for one. Fordbarn guys say $75 to 150

9. Looks like a good start and a good story from the family to go along with it.

10. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Don't be to quick to give up on that original engine. You may be able to make it come back to life. Nice find and good luck with it.

11. Joe's Junk Garage

Joe's Junk Garage

I’ve not given up on the original engine. The down side is the cylinder head was off for years. I think it would need at least a sixty thousands over bore to get past the pitting. That would be in the $2-3000 dolllar area for new pistons, fitted bearings, valve and new seats, new carb, manifold, you get where I’m gong. I was thinking if I could find a running “A” engine it could help get her going by next summer without a big hit to the budget.

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AV8...maybe...juice brakes...35 wires...dropped a little in the front...nudge nudge..wink wink...you know the drill...;)
    Congrats on the evolution of your journey...​

13. Joe's Junk Garage

Joe's Junk Garage

Hello Stogy, you bring up a few great questions! 1st! Wheels, I’ve noticed many hotrods with smaller diameter wheels (not the 21” it has now). Any good sources for solid, skinny rims with dog dish style hubcaps? 2nd, is there a way to just bolt on a lower front drop axle with out welding? Thanks!

14. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Congrats! Awesome car and you know it’s history. Super cool.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joe...Yes to all your questions. You are no doubt somewhat new here but I think that deserves a 40's style upgrade and there are a number of builds here where you could glean the information and tech to achieve that...the search function helps ease the finding of suitable material. There is of course the Membership which are always full of suggestions in every direction you wanna venture down. Keep on plugging away and have fun with it. Keeping it simple really has major pluses and will provide years of adventure.

Lots of sources for traditional motors, original parts, original wheels solid and wire...the classified here, Hemmings, your local vintage yards, Craiglist, Alliance Vendors (get your Alliance membership...;)...and start saving). Notice I say original lots of repro stuff to and thats ok but try original first as it keeps it period vintage but hey I have a mix of old and repro in my inspired so do what you must. One of the reasons I say flathead is the frame can remain unboxed and that equals less work.

Others may post reference threads in assist. Pick a era and go with it...

One other thing to consider I mentioned AV8 but as others have mentioned there is a plethora of things you can do to the Ole 4banger too. Dropped axle not even necessary again depending on your direction of choice. You say your a Long time lurker so you should be no stranger to the Banger threads every month...so again she's yours and do as Yee sees fit...Your range is 1929-1965...;)

Heres an inspirational thread for ya...by @RainierHooker a great Hamb talent...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/rainierhookers-28-a-wartime-tub-build.759138/

Another Hamber former tub in a more sporty look.
    https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/thejingletownspecial/?hl=en

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  16. Joe's Junk Garage

Joe's Junk Garage

Hello Stogy,

Thank you for the info! Well, I just purchased a known, good running Model A engine for a very good deal! So, I guess I know the route I’m headed in the drivetrain department. I’ve also been introduced to a local guy here in Indiana where I live that’s been in the Model A hobby for forty years. I think he will be a big help. I’ll keep you guys posted on my progress! Thanks again.

slv63 likes this.