Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Grill on Model A what headlight bar???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Aug 7, 2011.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

A buddy of mine has a 30 coupe with a 32 grill fitted and wants to know how he can best fit a headlight bar to go around the grill.

Any help pic's or advice would be appreciated.

2. walter

walter

when I built my 31 and add the 32 grill i reshaped the 31 bar by giving it a pull directly in the center. This gave me the clerance needed and still had the A look.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

4. original hotrod 32

original hotrod 32
    from england

used own 1930 A coupe with b grille shell use brookville headbar bar it curve at centre cant used original A head light bar too short at centre

5. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

What about an A on 32 rails, what must be done to the stock 32 headlight bar ?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I take it that it does have fenders? My research says that in the past guys reshaped the headlight bar to clear the grill and someone at one time was selling headlight bars for the application but currently no one has them available and it's back to redo one yourself.

As I mentioned on some other threads the plan for my 31 Vic is full fenders and a 32 grill and I have been doing a bit of homework along those lines but still don't have it quite figured out..

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. My 28 is different than the 30 but i used the original 28 bar and dropped it. After i modified the 32 grille shell to fit the rad the grille shell was in the road as it stuck out further than the A. So i went thru the 32 shell. Cut the bar in half, welded a bolt on one end and threaded the bar in the other which was indexed to fit when screwed together.Have to put the grille and headlight bar on at same time as an assembly. Then made my own 3 piece hood.
    Not sure if you like that idea or it will work on a 30.

Attached Files:

8. 41fastback

41fastback

This has a Model A bar that's been cut and reconfigured.

Attached Files:

9. saucerhead

saucerhead

I've used 26/27 T headlight bars on two of my model A's. Looks nice and clean and the lights are already dropped.

10. nobby

nobby

[​IMG]
    swap meet 32 headlight bar is an inch and a smidge too wide.
    make your cut a half inch inwards from the polished out weld bead, as the dropped part is a casting and has a register in it. 'sits in the tube' 1'' long
    whizz around shallow, the wall thichness is 1/16th and remove the half inch of tube from the casting ends, peel it off
    [​IMG]
    re insert tube, i think I had to swap the ends side to side, can't remember.
    big headlights might not fit now though?
    the beauty is you can pull the bend towards you, then tack it, then take it to have it stainless tigged
    [​IMG],

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  11. I believe your going to have a problem once you install the insert,,,they bulged out and your bar looks close to the shell. HRP

12. nobby

nobby

bugger.........
    glad I didn't polish it, It was a bit of a guess as I don't have an insert yet.
    there is a bend in it bulging out though,

13. 32partsguy

32partsguy
    from DFW,Texas!

I know this is an old thread, but these are in production and available on ........ do I dare say it?

ebay:eek:

14. hotrodsix

hotrodsix

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Great link, thanks.
    No harm in adding new info to old threads if it is relevant.

16. D.Y. Jim, found this aftermarket headlight bar that is designed to use on a model A with a 32 shell & insert. HRP

upload_2018-9-26_11-14-41.jpeg

dudley32 likes this.
  17. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I can always find the hardest way to make things work!
    We hammered the fenders flat and rotated the bar forward using only the slop in the holes to the frame, and reformed the pockets in the fenders.
    I also had to reshape the ends of the bar to match the holes at the fender beads.
    It wasn't really wasn't that difficult and you can't tell what I did now that it's finished.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Slightly OT, are the hemi-shaped mounting cups for head lights available some place? I think we'll make my mounts as spuds on tubing when the time comes, but it would be neat if the cups were obtainable easily.