Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Nick, I didn't really know who dreamed up the variable stacks, ut what I had seen here on HAMB and a little elsewhere, had Gene as the engine builder, so I made an assumption.
    No intent to subvert your genius in this, just not fully informed.
    all I know is I like it!:):cool:

Dog_Patch, Hang'emHigh and 402BOSSMAN like this.
  2. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

No worries here!;) I've seen it listed all over as well but I'm the real man behind it. Sucks when these writers can't get the info right. Even Gene thought I was nuts when I told him my idea but he still said "I like it, let's do it!":D That is why Gene is still the man today, he sees things like this and is open to the idea. We both have learned alot with testing things recently. I think we push each other to figure out how to go to the next level. Again, an awesome mentor!:)

3. allwilly

allwilly

4. jim snow

jim snow

Go Tony go! Snowman

5. allwilly

allwilly

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good luck Tony!!!

7. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

8. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Tim is a true brother in all ways as a club member and a man. Glad yall got it together and to the finals Tony.
    Hope the day goes well Tony, God knows you deserve a break.

10. Ok some parts of this last minute idea to build @Cabbage 's blower based 392 Hemi were not very well thought out. That was a 10 day thrash that's not for the faint of heart. I for sure quit 6 times and the 7th was gonna be the last time.

Think we left off where Russ got the pistons fly cut the first time. This was Sunday and the valves were hitting - show stopper - we are done.
    IMG_6427.JPG

IMG_6440.JPG
    Beautiful! Game on!

Now its Wednesday and I have a headache still
    IMG_6447.JPG

Game over! Show stopper!
    Thursday I had taken the day off work to go to Shady Side to test and tune. The txts start coming in .... go see Johnny again and fix those pistons @Tudor won't let it die ......

Back at Johnny's

IMG_6472.JPG
    Some Ford guy stopped in

IMG_6475.JPG

Now we're talking!

IMG_6479.JPG

But its 7:30 Thursday night. Tim calls "Hey man you need help?" (He's 2 hours from me)

IMG_6496.JPG

And at about 1 am we quit

IMG_6499.JPG

11. 7am Friday and back on it.

IMG_6500.JPG

IMG_6501.JPG

About 5pm we broke in the flat tappet Isky 505 cam with only the outer springs
    This isn't the break in video - the phone is full - this was later but imagine 2500 rpm ....

IMG_6506.JPG IMG_6507.JPG IMG_6509.JPG IMG_6513.JPG

12. We finally get loaded on the trailer and headed to Shady Side about 9 and roll in about 12:30. Then its morning again. Now the heads need to come back off to install the inner springs after doing the falt tappet cam break in. Like I said - not for the faint of heart or the sane person.....

IMG_6517.JPG IMG_6518.JPG IMG_6519.JPG IMG_6520.JPG IMG_6521.JPG IMG_6522.JPG IMG_6523.JPG IMG_6525.JPG

13. And it does good burn outs

14. allwilly

allwilly

enloe, loudbang, Floater03 and 2 others like this.
  15. But as far as using an 8:1 compression engine on a giant stack injection ..... not so much. After the burn out it was time for a rest.
    IMG_6542.JPG

16. wizards warehouse sells a tool that allows the springs to be removed without pulling the heads. i use it all the time. i will post a pic for you soon.

loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  17. jim snow

jim snow

Great job Tony.Snowman

loudbang, Hang'emHigh and Dog_Patch like this.
  18. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

What a thrash !! Great to see you there Tony !

loudbang, Hang'emHigh and Dog_Patch like this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am sorry after your thrash the car did not perform like you would have wanted it to.

loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  20. catdad49

catdad49

Tony, know that all your hard work and effort was appreciated by the ones that know the story. See ya next year, hope you can rest up a bit before then.

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well, yall busted ass to get there for sure! :eek:Can remember a few of those myself in the dirt track days 50 years ago!o_O:confused: At least you made it to the finals and proved you ain't a quitter:cool::) One Fri. night I tore up everything in front of the front crossmember on a '55 Chevy, radiator, sway bar mounts, frame horns, everything. Decided at Noon the next day to fix it, and raced it that night:eek:
    Not surprised really that an engine intended to be run with a big ol' Jimmy on top didn't perform like you wanted, but I'm sure that was your expectation all along.
    And a big THANK YOU to all who bused ass with you and to fellow Sock Fucker Cabage for the loan of his hemi:):cool:

22. Great to see you there too! You guys are hard to hide in a crowd ;)

Kinda expected it - 2-5/8" butterfly on a 2.065" valve it ran out ok after choking on the gas from leaving the starting line.

You know it brother - it was a long shot at best and we had a great time. We hung out with Damn It Bob and those guys are the best! Their wives travel separate and won't even go in the Party Bus.
    These guys are hard core 'don't give a shit' they wrote the book. There were 4 C-paps on the floor in the party bus and they said - don't step on those - you can touch anything else for $1 and watch for $2

IMG_E6543.JPG

IMG_6537.JPG

IMG_6540.JPG

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Now that's the way to go to the races!:):cool:

Dog_Patch, loudbang and allwilly like this.
  24. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Tony
    Hey bud, way to persevere, hope you enjoyed yourself at least (sounds like you did).
    What's the game plan for 2018?
    I gotta tell ya this, I sure would like to come down there for one of those SEG shindigs.
    Any suggestions which would be the best bang for the buck.
    Your West Coast fan club president.

Floater03, catdad49, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  26. Well that's a tough call. I can tell you the opener and the finals are the nail bitters because the Opener has cars spitting parts and breaking all over the place. No one has anything sorted out. The tracks are green from the winter. The finals has everyone polished up and cutting good lights and its a fender to fender fight by then. Both of those races are cooler temps and rain risky. I love Knoxville, Brainerd / Chattanooga. The hot ones in the summer are the tough ones. Wait - o_O my whole year was tough. Next year will be back on the 467 stroker engine with a bigger ring package and tighter piston to wall clearance. We are trying to get a BBM block and bore it out like you can do with a Donovan.

27. Yes, Tony and the SEG boys put on a great show and extra entertainment in the non racing hours. You need to make the journey, nothing on the west coast like Quain's show. PM me if you want travel details.

Floater03, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  28. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

384 pages and still going strong next season or the experience you have gained will come together for some great racing .

Sent from my SM-T805 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch, Floater03 and loudbang like this.