Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Ford front axle damage acceptable?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by monaroau, Nov 4, 2017.

1. monaroau

monaroau

The pictures show the shackle boss area of a model A front axle. The front shackles wore out so much that the spring was rubbing on the axle and removed a big chunk of material.
    Would you consider this axle still usable or is it junk?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Drylake

Drylake

The axles are forged, fill it with weld and smooth it out. Just don't quench it in water after welding.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. monaroau

monaroau

Has anyone done the repair suggested by drylakespeedshop before?

4. sdroadster

sdroadster

Think of all the holes hot rodders have drilled in these poor axles over the years. As was suggested, weld repair it and let it cool normally. Sand/grind it smooth, and Bondo it if necessary.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

fill it with weld. The dropped axle on my avatar was S shaped. The press made it look good

Hombre and gimpyshotrods like this.
  6. clem

clem

Repairable, but maybe easier to find another, better one.

Wouldn’t recommend putting any bondo in it. Your car inspection people may not like that idea.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  7. phill

phill

That looks like a common repair that Pages Chassis Works performs before he drops axles. Just be prepared to wait a while although the waiting time has shrunk since he has been full time at it. If you try and repair it first he won't touch it. Garry's number is 035471868.
    Phill.

8. monaroau

monaroau

Thank you for the info everyone. I am in Australia so original undropped model A axles are not easy to find. If I weld the axle it may not pass Aussie inspection but if it is safe to do so then I am happy with that.

9. bct

bct

I've done it . Welds beautifully very good quality steel. There would be no way an inspection would reveal the repair if done properly.

Automotive Stud, Hombre and monaroau like this.
  10. monaroau

monaroau

Another repair required on the same axle. It needed straightening of a bend front to back. It must have flexed 1.5 inches past straight before it bent. I got it back straight though. I think its a keeper after all.
    [​IMG]

11. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

The kids in the car inspection stations don't even know what they're looking at.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. monaroau

monaroau

Thank you Manager. I just pm'd you.

13. With 4,858,644 Model A's built surely you can find a replacement at a reasonable price,save time and use the one you have as a wall hanger. HRP

14. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

That shackle wear is very common. Probably half the axles I come across have it to some degree. I wouldnt be concerned about running it as is. But if you dont like the looks, you can weld it.

monaroau likes this.
  15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Weld it , grind it , file it , drill it , drop it , enjoy it you’ll never hurt it . Nothing comparable made today . Henry would be proud to see it still in service and repairable not throw away as in today’s world .

Hombre and monaroau like this.
  16. Drylake

Drylake

[​IMG]I repaired this one yesterday. Filled with weld, ground, filed and sanded. Removing the factory imperfections while I was at it. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hombre, Fordors, bct and 1 other person like this.
  17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57