Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chip Foose 1932 Ford 5 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Nov 3, 2017.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I liked the wheels on the concept drawing better

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

I'm not bashing on the wheels either, just think, as stated before, they are too"busy" for me on this car.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

It's a stock bodied car. Thank Henry or Edsel for the styling...but Chip did do an absolutely incredible build.
    I applaud him for his restraint regarding the body.
    Not a car I'd want though.
    Just not into restorods and it would be a sin to tear it apart.
    Those iffy wheels are an easy change if someone didn't like them.
    I think they look like something Ripley might have found on the ALIEN space ship myself...but that doesn't matter one bit as its only my personal opinion.
    Chip's the only one who has to like them!

4. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I posted photos of Chips bitchin' coupe on other sites and it turned into "The Sour Grapes Car Club".......The wheels are controversial and "Controversy Is The Engine That Powers Change"... ..IMHFO 23032741_1922336151423990_7691116345234704569_n.jpg

5. I agree on the wheels. Maybe like more 50's/60's spindle mount front and halibrand rears matte centers with a polished lip. It's still a nice car even with the busy look those wheels give it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Floater03 and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Color: Take it or leave it for me, but actually works. And it's not black...AGAIN!

Wheels: They're ok, not awesome in my view, not hateful, but also not sure they're a great "fit".

Build: What's to say? Typical stunning Foose craftsmanship. Perfection nearly everywhere.

Don'ts: As in don't like, I don't like the woodgraining (seen in the other thread), but go figure right? As for what I don't like about it (the grain) it's the color and grain choice. Sort of like it's trying to steal the interior, somewhat obtrusive, and frankly I've seen him do better in that 1 regard.

Now please, I'm not being a hater. The car's a fuckin 9.999364 outta 10 double throw down stunner. As usual he nailed it, and he DID NOT build it for me so there's that...;)

dana barlow, Stogy, jim snow and 4 others like this.
  7. Rand Man

Rand Man

Okay, I went back and actually read the Hod Rod article. Says they are Curtis Speed wheels and mimic vintage Halibrands. I know the old sprint cars used to swap the wheels inside out to change offset and setup. Wouldn’t it be funny if the other side of these new wheels looked smooth, like some of the most iconic wheels ever? [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. roundvalley

roundvalley

I would change the wheels and turn the trunk handle up 180 degrees.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. haychrishay

haychrishay

I wonder what the tits...I mean the wheels would look like in a cast color?

winduptoy likes this.
  10. CJ 56 hemi

CJ 56 hemi
    from NJ

Chip is an innovator and I absolutely love the car at first glance. Can’t wait to see it in more detail. Guys like him are why I enjoy this hobby. Thanks Chip.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'll play "glass half full" here.
    I actually think the car may be a little bland for those "busy" wheels.

rodncustomdreams and Floater03 like this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well as far as a 1932 Sema integration the wheels are more '50's early '60's Indy style so no go there. Paint is way too shiny, plastic looking, for '32 as well. And as far as not chopping it and running boards why should thatbe seen as revolutionary? Chip is a great designer, his TV showman was good, and when I've seen him in person a very authentic, down to earth guy. But not a whole lot new stuff about his car. Execution no doubt is perfect but just because a celebrity's name is attached I don't think that automatically means everything he does is stellar.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    chryslerfan55, cretin and X38 like this.
  13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Well it’s a “Hot Rod” and was chronicled in Discovery’s new acquisition TEN Pubs HRM.
    It’s also sporting a CYCLONE Quickie
    That sure does look good!!! 50664F25-1D66-4EB3-BADE-B728136C5923.png 33BE2297-83C5-4F73-8ACB-48FFCC532B32.png

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  14. I saw it it person, and it is impressive.

IMG_2160.JPG

15. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

The "flipped wheel" concept is interesting, if that's truly what the deal is. Here's another similar wheel on the coupe on the right...
    23167789_10211164221721198_2431278420426862270_n.jpg

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nope
    You can't just flip a true knock off wheel that was cast as such, look close, they have integral pin drive centers.
    The ones you may have seen were either the style that used a seperate pin drive pressure plate or they had the pin drive casting machined off.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Wheels look like three different wheels all rolled into one. I like em due to being different, but dislike em due to em being too busy.
    So, I'm confused.... do I like em, or hate em? I do not know, haha.
    I love Chips build style of clean, but any old Ford of that era looks dorky and awkward unchopped, in my opinion.
    Of course this is all my opinion, and Chip is the only one who has to like it. Plus he has the ability and means to change anything at anytime.

That roofline is just to high for me, forget the wheels.
    Color? I could live with it.

18. Not true grasshopper. Rawlings has a huge talent for giving TV producers just the kind of shit THEY think we want to see. Check his net worth if you don't think he has the talent to sell bullshit!

19. milo1303s

milo1303s

WOW a Foose car with no Foose Orange on it

20. Thanks for all the commentary
    Some of us may forget, that Chip grew up with Sam Foose as his Pops

LOU WELLS likes this.
  21. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

I really like Chip Fooses job on this 32. Color and all. One of my favorite things about wheel and tire combos are that they are so easily changed. You can swap them out and completely change the feel/look of a car. Pinstriper40 beat me to it but the wheels on Chips 32 are very similar to the ones found on the "Afterthought" model A. I like this car as well.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

22. This just goes to show how Henry's designers got the 32 Ford to just about perfection from the start. I don't see any real modifications on this car's exterior other than wheels and stance. Just minor fit and finish and voila, its done.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  23. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I posted a pic of Andy Brizio's Flamed 32 , Moderator deleted it because of the wheels , Hmmmmph ?

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Same thing happened to me Dave when I posted a shot of Roy Brizios' gorgeous copper 55 Chevy sedan, you know the one, with the billet wheels that look like 62 Corvette hubcaps.
    Life goes on!

LOU WELLS and Dave Mc like this.
  25. While I agree that the "pepper grinder cutter" wheels may not fit the style of Chip's Deuce 5wd, there is a precedent for running such wheels on a Hot Rod:

Holmes & Kugel D - Gas Roadster ('32 Coupester).jpg
    1966: The Holmes & Kugel #262 D / Gas Roadster (a '32 5wd with the top cut off ... aka "Coupester")

Jerry Kugel Modified Roadster Construction.jpg
    Kugel & Holmes #262 B - Modified Roadster.jpg
    1968-1969: The Kugel & Holmes #262 B / Modified Roadster

i.rant, bowie, haychrishay and 5 others like this.
  26. I didn't say there wasn't a precedent for the wheels. Chip "buisyed" them up a bit much for me. Jerry liked those wheels so much, he kept them when he sold the "coupster" to Lupe Valenzulea. Do you know who Jerry bought the 5 window from? I do. ;)

27. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

I think Chip is one of the greatest but ,I don't see much of an improvement over a traditional 50's hot rod IMG_1289.JPG

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

29. For those HAMBers that are shy about clicking on links, here's the pics of “Betty” in the (October 31, 2017) HOT ROD Magazine online news article:

Chip's Rendering of BETTY the Deuce 5wd.jpg
    artwork by Chip Foose

Chip's Deuce 5wd @ SEMA '17 (1).jpg
    Chip's Deuce 5wd @ SEMA '17 (2).jpg
    Chip's Deuce 5wd @ SEMA '17 (3).jpg
    Chip's Deuce 5wd @ SEMA '17 (4).jpg
    Chip's Deuce 5wd @ SEMA '17 (5).jpg
    Chip's Deuce 5wd @ SEMA '17 (6).jpg
    Chip's Deuce 5wd @ SEMA '17 (7).jpg
    Chip's Deuce 5wd @ SEMA '17 (8).jpg
    Chip's Deuce 5wd @ SEMA '17 (9).jpg
    Chip's Deuce 5wd @ SEMA '17 (10).jpg