Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Interesting Documentary:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Nov 2, 2017.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

IMHO,Ya,I'd like the time back,I wasted on seeing that 1/2ass crap that some one thinks is anything close to done right.

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know, I'd grab a half rack and some Marlboro lights and go hang with him for an afternoon. He cant be all bad, he uses Squirrel's trunk rod prop.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes Billy, that helper dude was kinda iffy to me, not sure I could even be coaxed over there with a jug-o-Makers!

Jugornot likes this.
  4. williebill

williebill

Interesting video. I was getting a "Worlds Fastest Indian " vibe while I was watching it, without the bush pissing or grass burning.

Pufff, kiwijeff and Jugornot like this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, for a jug o' Makers I'd ride a Vespa to Hell's Angels cook out.

gordspeed and Jugornot like this.
  6. Clue me in to 'RAT'. Not sure it has different meanings or just a good-bad connotation.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Mans got a great philosophy on cars and life. I can relate. He's not telling anyone to like his cars. He's not selling a damn thing. What he IS trying to say is, "Get off your ass and build something. ANYTHING." You can slap on whatever label gets you wet at night. Just get in the freaking garage and do it. Or take a seat on the porch. There's always room there for dreamers and experts.

8. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

I have to confess that I have been blessed with a lot of vintage ford parts. I build with what I have . I believe that that is what this man is doing, just as every vintage hot rodder has been doing for the past 90 years. All that is important to me is that I can drive my car the way that I assembled it in the ascetics are pleasing to me.

Pufff, kiwijeff and rudestude like this.
  9. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

C10 Simplex has always been pretty tight with information.

Is this you in the video Simplex?

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Some of the first Shifter's Car Club cars which got the coin "rat rod" started as termed were cool and looked nothing like the typical rat rod we see today. Cars shouldn't be purposely built ratty, period. Hot rodders built to the best of there abilities with what they had. Many refer to my car as a rat rod and it's just a old hotrod built 30some years ago. I don't get offended they don't know any better. Still liked the documentary for what it was.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The Shifters
    Now there's a group that knows how to party.
    Saw them and their cars year after year at the CHRR, they actually lived the life, at least they sure made it look that way. Many looked like they had been sleeping in their cars.
    My buddy from Bakersfield told me he saw them pulled over on the grapevine, people everywhere, legs sticking out from under cars getting fixed, said it looked like a Chinese fire drill.

CoronetRTguy likes this.
  12. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Man oh man, I watched that video and thought "wow, this guy is doing what he wants-when he wants with scraps left over from whomever" he explains that money is what denotes how and what he builds. That is ME! Yeah sure, he is on the ragged edge of this traditional website which we all participate but You have to appreciate the message here. One guy doing what loves. . .

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dirty old man and Jugornot like this.
  13. not my style of cars , but i did enjoy watching it

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

It was entertaining. I can relate to building with what you have on hand. He builds cars the way he wants. I don't see such a hardcore cheapness about him, he spends money on the things he wants. He build a 32, which isn't cheap, the fresh motor & trans for the pickup was also not cheap. Nor the slicks, or wheels. What he is not doing is finishing them up pretty because he wants to drive them. I can relate to that as well.

I'm not into drag racing, so the parts I spend my money on are different then what he spends his money on. Though I want to drive my stuff as soon as possible, if it hangs around long enough, I will take a few days to attempt to make something look better.

If he lived where I live, he would be putting a roof, walls and adding heat to his work space, but I do a lot of stuff outside when the weather permits. Gene

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Everyone could benefit from knowing a guy like this. Two people in my area came to mind as I watched the video.

dirty old man and Max Gearhead like this.
  16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

IMHO, this guy is building crap.
    Lucky as he states that he is "picky when it comes to his work" otherwise he would just be building heaps of sh$t.
    No wonder the Cops were after, probably nothing to do with noise, more like bad taste.
    He is a danger to the vulnerable out there, who may be convinced this is cool.
    Let his legendary status remain in his own lunch box I say...

trollst and saltracer219 like this.
  17. Billy_Bottle_Caps

Billy_Bottle_Caps

18. trollst

trollst

I also build what I can afford, but I can weld. I like his style, but he needs to find someone to weld up his tacks, he'd have nicer better built cars. He knows what to do, but not how to do it. Good video though.

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I enjoyed it, can relate to the days when I had no shop building, or even a shed/leanto, had to tack stuff together with an OA outfit, and haul it to other shops to weld it up, till I finally got a Lincoln "tombstone" 225 buzzbox, and got an old used piece of service entrance cable to plug into the electric stove outlet in the house.
    No mention of how he earned a dollar, but other than that he reminds me of a friend who works days in a body shop, and lives in a corner of his old ramshackle shop, which is surrounded by bits and pieces of old cars and car bodies, both "A" and "T".
    And the fact that he (my friend) has a full time job perhaps is why he builds much nicer looking cars (read as more costly).
    And also, I visited my first speed shop when I was not even old enough to get a driver's license, much less a car, and hung around with older boys who had sorta ragged old cars and worked on them in the backyard of one of them who lived a couple of houses away.
    The use of the word"rat" was unfortunate and turned some folks off, but IMO the video is much better and truer to real hot rodding than the stuff on TV.

20. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I enjoyed it. A guy living his life the way he wants is OK with me.

21. Definition of rat
    1 a :any of numerous rodents (Rattus and related genera) differing from the related mice especially by considerably larger size
    b :any of various similar rodents
    2 :a contemptible person: such as
    a :one who betrays or deserts friends or associates
    b :scab 3b
    c :informer 2
    3 :a pad over which a woman's hair is arranged
    4 :a person who spends much time in a specified place
    • a mall rat

22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I'm liking finished cars more and more

23. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

I didn’t watch the whole clip since I’ve been working on my own build today, getting stuck as usual since I have no clue what I’m doing. Some of the comments here scares me. The important thing has to be that he’s building something out of his stuff instead of letting it rot away in rust. If it’s not to your liking, move on without the hard words and negative comments. When a forum turns judge mental it looses a lot of the charm and possibly active members who actually posts stuff.

My personal liking is hot rods from the 40’ies but I can’t afford to buy every part original Henry or NOS. Sometimes I have to buy new parts that won’t be correct, but since I live in Sweden the market here isn’t that great to source the old stuff. Today I realized that my new radiator was for a model A grille shell, and I’m using a 32 shell. I can’t afford to buy an original radiator or a $1200 Walker (yes, it’s almost $1200 here in Sweden), I’ll have to buy a $250 aluminum radiator from China and spray it black.

What I want to say is that attitude shown in some of the posts in this thread might scare talented people away in fear of being ridiculed.

Just my thoughts :)

Skickat från min iPhone med H.A.M.B.

24. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Cool video. Thanks for posting. .....I can't believe all of the energy around the work rat.....

25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Rat or not this guy claims to have been around a cars since what 14yo, he looks about a 103 now and still building crap. What has he learned or how has he improved with all that so called, experience of time...

saltracer219 likes this.
  26. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Send some pics of what you have built. Post on here so we can see how great your stuff is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Not for nothing, but on another thread on this site Echo is said to be a college educated retiree (Like most fuckers on this site) and a United States Marine. If the last part is true he deserves everyones respect for that alone. Love your freedom? Thank a fucking veteran of the armed forces. Not directing my rant at you DOM, just using your post as a springboard.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Donuts & Peelouts and hendelec like this.
  28. I don't read too much into the video. Just a guy building hot rods with what he has on hand. He could sell everything and get a room at the V.A. retirement home with no place to build anything but he loves doing what he's doing.
    BTW, I've lived in San Diego with nothing but my clothes and my lowered c-10 stepside. I WISHED I could have a place-any place to build cars. He's doing ok but he makes me nervous as hell using his grinder and drill with no eye protection.
    mic drop.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Donuts & Peelouts and wheeldog57 like this.
  29. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Either my writing skills or your reading skills leave something to be desired as I made NO critcism of the man, simply related to my early days back in '51-'53 and subsequently when I tried to build hot rods with little in the way of tools and no shop here in GA where we have 4 seasons and rain, all of which can affect what you can build. And I compared him to another friend who works a full time job in a body and paint shop, but lives in a corner of his own shop.
    If he's a retired Marine, then Semper Fi, and I'm an ex Marine also, BTW.
    Where in my post can you find me criticizing the man?

30. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

They are already posted regularly...
    Lack of money is no excuse for poor quality workmanship

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    HEMI32 likes this.