Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new 33-34 3-window adventure! Would love to know any history of this old hotrod!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Elrod, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Elrod

Elrod

The Powerplant is going to be a merc stroked flathead with 404A cam that is heavily worked inside. The block is an exact copy, built by the late Bob Cooley of his 296 cu. in. 3/8 by 3/8 flathead using the original internals and intake that was run at the 1958 World Series of Drag Racing in Cordova IL. It set a record of 138 mph at 10:29 e.t. for flathead roadsters using the 4x2 evans intake and 100% nitro methane. Original engine was sponsored by Gene's Brake Shop and built by John Bradley, Mr. Flathead. In 1959, they could not get 100% nitro so they put the Italmeccanica blower on the engine and ran gas. They turned 127.20 at 11:47 e.t. They made the next run with the blower on 33% nitro but he felt it wouldn't come out of the hole like it should. It ran 138.30 at 11.00 on the 33%.
    Bob regretfully put 66% nitro in for the next run. He said it didn't sound like a flathead anymore, and flew off the line this time but blew the crank out the bottom at half track, but "boy what a ride!"

After blowing the flathead, he switched to a 377 cu.in Chrysler built by Jerry Howard and Red Henslee of Cook and Henslee Roadster fame and set an immediate record at the Pomona Spring Nationals in 1959.

Bob had this engine built to run next to his fuel altered at cackle fests, but passed before hearing it fire. I am honored to continue his legacy with this car. I'll do a full write up on his history in the near future with lots of great photos.

engine.jpg
    BobCooley01.jpg BobCooley03.jpg
    BobCooley02.jpg BobCooley05.jpg

Jet96, thunderbirdesq, KKrod and 8 others like this.
  2. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

<<< Jealous Jealous Jealous ....

3. elgringo71

elgringo71

Wow, this just keeps getting better. I am looking forward to the write up.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Treat that woman right. You have any idea how hard it would be to find another willing to help put a body on the frame? One-in-a-million !

RockinRivi and elgringo71 like this.
  5. Wow! A new build filled with history. Very cool.

RockinRivi and elgringo71 like this.
  6. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Elrod,
    Congrats 1st for having the GREATEST Shop Hand in Texas!!!!! 2nd for getting a great car to build!!
    I know that this Hot Rod is going to Roll!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I forgot you had this project. But.. damn, what a collection of parts and history!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Elrod

Elrod

Had an interesting talk today. I was thinking about the 1280 Perris Hill Rd Address I found in the car written on the wooden header. I thought I would take another look at the San Bernardino newspaper archives, and I found the following article... A Terry Beall was married to a Joyce Engel and his parents held a reception for the newlyweds at their 1280 Perris Hill Rd Home.

1954Sept19-1280PerrisHillRd.jpg

that matches the address written in my car!

1934-1280PerrisHill.jpg

I looked up Terry and found his phone number and called it. He's 83 years old now, but when I asked him if he happened to ever own a 1934 Ford, he said, "yeah. my first car was a 1934 Ford Three window. I wish I never got rid of that car."

Turns out Terry used to work down the street at Stater Bros. Market during highschool. He would pass by a used car lot walking home and there was an Austin Healey that he "wanted more than his next breathe" and a 1934 Ford. healey's were hard to get parts for back then, so he went with the Ford. He drove it his last years in highschool, and painted the car gray with a had bug spray pumper to give it that "custom look" Otherwise, the car was bone stock.

The car had 1958 LA times papers in the doors. Terry graduated from highschool in 1952, married in 1954 and sold the car sometime around there. So I think the car was hotrodded after him.

He didn't remember writing his own address on the wooden header and we both agreed that why would you write your own address inside your car. Maybe the person he sold it to wrote the address of where he bought the car up there so that he could return to ask him a question. Not sure.

He had a couple photos of the car outside his girlfriend's house, before a school dance. 1280PerrisHillRd-TerryDwayneBeall-Highschool.jpg 1280PerrisHillRd-TerryDwayneBeall-HighschoolGirlFriend.jpg

I did note that the doors in this old photo are 1934 doors. The doors on my car are 1933 doors. In fact I was told that my body was a 1933 body. But what are the odds that this address would be written in a different car? Very strange.

History and it's mysteries is cool.

Jet96, Tuck, brad2v and 8 others like this.
  9. Great post! I just love Hot Rod Archeology! If only they could talk to us and tell us their stories...........

Baron likes this.
  10. partssaloon

partssaloon

Those little dips on each side in the lip in front of the cowl. I have a magazine article that states that those were new for the 34 model to hold the hood in the up position which the 33 didn't have.

11. Elrod

Elrod

yeah. The guy I got the body from grafted a 1934 Ford Cowl onto a 1933 body (header inside above windsheild and doors are definately 1933) since the 1933 firewall was so hacked up. He also wanted to put a 1934 ford hood and grill on the car. I do as well, so the body is now frankensteined together, but I'm a fan of 1933 non smoker window doors and 1934 grills, so that's fine with me!

Tuck, Baron and KKrod like this.
  12. KKrod

KKrod

I love this story....

13. rpm56

rpm56

This story just keeps getting better. Very cool update.

14. SimonSez

SimonSez

Interesting update, thanks!

Looks like it's got 34 hood sides in the old photo's as well.

15. guy1unico

guy1unico

Here is the best one I've seen.
    Nice snag Jason.

Attached Files:

Elrod and skitzo13 like this.
  16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

This has the potential to be the best thread ever. An itelmecia blown flatly in a 34 three window!
    This is the distillate of pure awesome.

17. Yes, I noticed it too. 34 hood and grille in high school picture

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  18. Elrod

Elrod

One other little interesting piece of info. The photos above of the Genes Brake shop Special were taken a couple streets over from this 1280 Perris Hill Rd address. Bob Cooley, the man I got my engine from lived a few blocks away from where my car was, went to school at the north end of the 1280 Perris Hill Rd, about 10 houses away, and grew up playing tennis and baseball at the end of this street.
    I'll be putting that Genes Brake Shop Special engine (I bought in Texas) from San Bernardino that he ran in 1957-1958 into this San Bernardino car (that I bought in Colorado).

1946-0519-PerrisHillTennisBobCooley.png

Very small world.

KKrod likes this.
  19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

The best detective work yet!!!!!
    It’s a great find, dig the fact that Mr. Beall
    in still in the game..
    Maybe that address was something that another guy who owned a 33, spotted a 34, wrote down the digits so he can come on by maybe buy it or who knows what????? ;).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    KKrod and Elrod like this.
  20. Hombre

Hombre

This is a great story that alone is worth the ride.

21. Elrod

Elrod

A little more digging. I know I own an engine and parts that was built by Gene's Brake Shop.
    I know the famous John Bradley, "Mr Flathead" campaigned a car for Gene's Brake shop.

I just found a picture of John Bradley's car, and I believe I own the blower off this car. It has the same snout support and gilmer pulley on the front. Pretty excited about that.

John Bradley's car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Cooley, with engine aquired from Gene's Brake Shop for his car. (same 4 carb intake)
    [​IMG]

Blower I bought from Bob Cooley collection. (same snout support, but intake top changed)
    [​IMG]

elgringo71, brad2v, KKrod and 3 others like this.
  22. elgringo71

elgringo71

Wow, fantastic history and it's great that it ended up with someone that appreciates it and will use it as intended and keep the legacy alive

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Man. This is killer. What intake top are you planning to go with on the blower?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. That's amazing! I'd love to know the history of my 34 coupe before it was a race car.

25. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Enjoying this one!