Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Preping your car for winter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just removed two more dead mice from my snap traps. Getting almost one a day. Currently Gman-7, Mice-0. Hopefully the Decon is doing the job as well. I'd hate to think of the damage these mice could have inflicted on the brand new Cars Inc. interior in my 63 Impala. I'm also considering building one of those rotating bottle in a bucket trap.

Gary

2. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I’m building one of those rotating bottle traps today. Haven’t got to worry about the ‘40, it’s apart for the winter, however the ot truck will require some winterization in the next day or so.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Squirrel same here.Bruce.

4. Mine doesn't come out when we get any snow here.Bruce. 025.JPG

5. Nice garage Bruce! Imagine being able to walk around a car....

6. When I see snow on the mountain (Pikes Peak), I make ready to head south to FL for the winter. ;)

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and j3harleys like this.
  7. I put the top up on the roadster!:p
    I change the oil, check everything and try and run them every week or two.

8. Mark,have you given up on the idea of moving South? HRP

ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  9. Yes, it looks like we will be here for awhile. Not that it's a bad thing. Now that my Daughter is on the west coast we will be traveling more. And no I am not moving to CA. I do like the seasons and we do not get much in the way of severe weather. Also lots of car stuff always going on around here.

10. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

One put away last weekend already and two more to go.
    I fill it up with ethanol free gas and drain the carb or shut off the electric pump and let it run dry.
    For cars stored off site inveigh the battery home and rotate all my batteries on a charger.

I always worry about putting cars away, I parked my high school car in a friend's garage in fall 2013 when my daughter was born and haven't driven it since. Worried my other cars might suffer the same fate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Road Runner

Road Runner

Just put a set of rears on like these and you're set.
    Who needs a roof or heater anyways...

1912 MOON MERRICK SPECIAL ROADSTER
    ch6188.jpg

12. Looks like some of our members are already seeing the white stuff. HRP

13. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Drove my wagon today, sunny and 10c here in southern Ontario. Hope to get a few more runs in before the snow and salt forces me off the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. We have had our first freeze earlier in the week but it's 72 degrees and sunny at 12:09 PM. HRP

15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I usually do nothing but what I normally do all year. It snows, it melts and then usually rains enough to wash the salt away. I drive until the next snow and repeat the cycle.

16. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

as long as the snow stays away I keep driving.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The same way here in Bama. I've driven mine in rain, but when we do get snow, I don't get out in it even with the OT vehicles unless it's a have to. I've trucked enough through the years I can handle just about anything but I can't control the other idiots on the roads, so I stay off of them when we get the rare snow or ice storm. Very little salt used here, mainly in the bigger cities on the Interstate system, but they have started using the liquid stuff, calcium chloride I think, on some of the major routes in the northern counties.
    I mostly just check the antifreeze in everything, top it off if needed, and that's about it. I do run the mowers dry of gas most years, but have forgotten that sometimes, too.

The two winters the Lincoln was on the road, it had no heat. When it goes back out this time, it will have some. Wasn't real bad with out it if you had a good jacket, but driving in misty, rainy type of weather it was hard to keep the windsheild clear. Going to hook up some defrost and heat for those kinds of days.

18. winterizing steps in AL.
    1 check antifreeze
    2 drive it crap out of it

19. That works well in South Carolina also. :D HRP

3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  20. Getting the old sedan ready to go skiing. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser, 3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  21. I'm lazy, sometimes if I'm feeling highly motivated I wash the bugs off before driving into the garage and shutting the key off. Done! In spring I back it out, check the tires and go for a drive, no problem.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and ladyhrp like this.
  22. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

My wagon has a good heater so as long as there is no sleet or snow we drive it.

23. I open the water line valves to the heater. Might need it some cool morning!

Ben

24. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

An other service bulletin to Ford dealers for window display in 1933 Scan_20171106.jpg

25. Today, about -20 c & 8-10 inches of the white shit!

3W JOHN, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. That is a great piece. HRP

3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  27. I park in the garage if the weather looks like rain or if I am going out of town for a few days. Not much freezing weather in the SF Bay Area, but some years a lot of rain.

3W JOHN, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. The Cord poster is cool. HRP

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser, 3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  29. upload_2017-11-7_10-35-50.jpeg North Carolina Highway Patrol ready for service,In 1954. :D HRP

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  30. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

jnaki and HOTRODPRIMER like this.