Register now to get rid of these ads!

SHOW RODS 60 & 70s..stories - pics ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meatball, Oct 29, 2007.

1. 54belair pusher

54belair pusher
    from cincinnati

2. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

That is very kool! What is the bubble top car next to it?

Marty
    Marysville, OH

3. fuzzface

fuzzface

Lee Wells 56 lincoln. Not sure who owns it now.

4. Jantrix

Jantrix

Great thread! Thanks for the great pics!

5. fuzzface

fuzzface

6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

As a kid in the late 70's/early 80's I recall seeing pictures of some of these 'vehicles' and I didn't 'get it'... I didn't understand the purpose of these things. Nearly 30 years later, I feel the same way. I've got to respect the craftsmanship to create these things, but the final product seems.... ehhh.

7. Deuces

Deuces

I had the model of the RED BARON back in the '70's...

8. camaross1971

camaross1971
    from ITALY

http://youtu.be/ndBGF2SQ1BM
    Hi ,the film Out of sight 1966 with ZZR,the car is in Italy... c3956.jpg

FOTO ROBERTO 925.jpg

FOTO ROBERTO 931.jpg

outnewweb.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  9. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

I posted this in a Cragar SS thread, but wasn't getting too much interest. I thought this thread might be a good fit, since these wheels were so common on some of wild show rods.

Thought I would post this here, rather than start a new thread.

I've always loved big radical tire and wheel combinations. Some of the late 60's and early 70's funny cars and dragsters ran some pretty big Cragar SS wheels. For instance, when the Snake and Mongoose Cuda and Duster funny cars debuted in 1970 (yellow & red cars), I've confirmed they ran 16x12 Cragars on the rear. I've always wondered what was the largest size SS Cragar ever made. For instance, some of the early 70's show cars like the Popcorn Wagon, Beer Wagon, and Boothill Express ran some huge Cragars on the rear. Anyone know what size those were? Were they custom made or widened? What about the rear wheels used on the Zingers? Those were pretty wide as well. Just curious about how some of those wheels came about and what ever happened to them.

Here's some examples of some big & wide Cragar SS wheels.

6768000239_9500b475cb_b.jpg CaspersBeerWagon.jpg Popcorn.jpg

7230163806_49a1139c13_b.jpg tansy15.JPG

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    EVL401 likes this.
  10. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I had Cragars on my '67 Dart GT. I always they were the koolest!

Marty
    Marysville, OH

11. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On page 4 of this thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8067855#post8067855

there's a set of 15x14 SS that are new - you might try a PM to the poster as to how he ordered them.

12. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Yeah, I'm familiar with the new sizes, but some of the old show cars looked like they had even wider than 14". Just curious if anyone could confirm. Plus the older ones had a deeper initial barrel at the front of wheel. The newer ones have a step in the barrel almost immediately. Curious when they changed that. Also the ones on the Boothill Express look like 16", and look very wide. Just wondering if anyone ever heard what size they were.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  13. Pro 300e

Pro 300e

P7120042.jpg P2280006.jpg P4060026.jpg P4060071.jpg
    It looks like "California Show Cars" had some sort of sponsorship deal with "Cragar" as nearly all their show cars had them fitted... The pics above are of one of Bob Reisners cars .. "Sand draggin" before and after its restoration over here in the Uk. When it arrived at my friends workshop, its cragar's had gone missing somewhere on its travels round Europe. the wheels if i remember right were 10 x 15's and these had to be got in from the States along with the paddle tyres to complete the project.
    I love these Chrome 5 spokes... on most Rods they make the vehicle look so cartoon.. :cool:

Gizzy likes this.
  14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

It was common for guys to cut the centers out and weld to new deep rims and they also cut rims on a lathe and added rolled steel welded and rechromed.A guy here in Kansas built a custom show trike that looked like a Roman chariot.The coolest part was the 20" wide rims with Indy tires.The centers were hand made wooden spokes and the rims were gold leafed.

15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I would love to see the Beer wagon ! Had the model and love that thing !

16. abone1930

abone1930

I think they used to use two 14 wheels to make wider than 14". I have a pair of 17" wide ansen slots on my my model A, I bought off eBay 7yrs ago, that was
    Suppose to be built by Eric Vaughn of real wheel around. 30yrs ago. They have a 4" backspaceing to boot. All I need is some old 17" wide blue streaks instead of the Hoosiers . :D

17. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I would love to see a picture of those Ansen`s. The widest I have seen of that style are 14"

18. abone1930

abone1930

Here they are before I mounted them, and a pick of my Non-Hamb friendly car:p

Attached Files:

19. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Cool thread.

Jake

20. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

THAT IS BAD ASS !!!!!!! The wheels and the car !

21. robbovius

robbovius

I still have my Red Baron model that I built somewhere around 1969 or '70, although at some point I thought it would be kewl to soup it up by ditching the Merc 6 cylinder and installing the SOHC 427 Ford from the Monogram Taratula dragster model ;-)

[​IMG]

22. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Don't know about a Beer Wagon, but I shot this of the Ed Newton-designed Wine Wagon.

Jack, the owner from Texas, is shown backing it into artist Charlie Smith's booth at the 2011 NHRA Nats. I believe that Jack's last name is Orrell (it says Orrell and Newton as the "vineyard name" on the casks, 1968 being the year it was originally built,…..because Ed worked closely with Jack on the restoration)[​IMG]

23. Oscar73

Oscar73
    from Seattle

Great thread! I love show cars, useless on the street but a joy to look at! The trike that was referenced a ways back in an Art Himsl kinda way, with the 4 Indy Tires across the back was the AEE/Tom McMullen built Big Twin, with two Sportster mills... I had the Street Chopper magazines following its build. It was on one of those reality hot rod shows not too long ago. Mighta been the Vegas one... But thanks to all you guys who were there, and continue to straighten out us knuckleheads! LOL!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Mike Nagatani

Mike Nagatani

Just made a 3d print for someone interested in finishing the chassis. Im currently making 3d bodies that the manufactures didn't make. Stiletto is the other showrod done as a print and was never a model.[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Mike Nagatani

Mike Nagatani

Image of the "Stiletto" showrod that my brother created as a 3d print.
    [​IMG]

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just wondering, no mention of Joe Wilhelm here? I did a search, but it came up with no hits. I always thought his "Wild Dream" was the coolest one around. Gary
    [​IMG]

Max Gearhead likes this.
  27. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Those are the koolest! Great job! Are the bodies for sale? Where? How much?

Thanks,
    Marty

28. rudestude

rudestude

These are just some random shots from some of my magazine's and program's...couple of them I posted because I saw some other posts that were interested in the subject...sorry for any reposting as some of the posts had no pictures so I didn't know what it was....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. rudestude

rudestude

EVL401 likes this.