Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods OmniPro Vulcan 220 Welder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cederholm, Oct 30, 2017.

1. cederholm

cederholm

Has anyone tried the new line of Harbor Freight welders? Here

This is their new "high-end" line of welders. I'm in the market to upgrade from my 110 Lincoln to work on heaver gauge metal and improve my welding skills. Now originally I was thumbing my nose at these while in line to by disposable paint brushed and gloves but they looked rugged from a far. Closer inspection and I was impressed, more than expected, by the build quality. This lead my to watch a few YouTube videos and the reviews are quite favorable.

What interests me in this machine;
    • 110 or220v
    • MIG, Arch or TIG (would love to learn TIG)
    • Good reviews (so far)
    • price!
    What scares me
    • Harbor Freight Tools!!!! :eek:
    I'm no pro, just a hobbyist and this machine will not be on 24/7 like some of you.

Anyone with experience?

Thanks,
    Carl

2. No experience, but FWIW HF recently announced a drive to improve quality and move more 'upmarket'. They're selling this stuff to somebody, there can't be an infinite supply of suckers out there...

But I would check into parts and/or service; that's been one of their real weak points on the higher-$$ stuff

cederholm likes this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

You'll notice it doesn't come with the Tig torch,also one review as of 8/31/17 say's the stores don't have them yet.

You'll also want to know if it comes with a foot pedal, I've a 3-in-1 AirCo, that has no foot pedal and is scratch start...it does have a HF box though, scratch starting is a PIA.

cederholm likes this.
  4. See the 1 yr risk free trial-Money back guarantee ?
    Find the "fine print" of that.
    The reviews seem positive and there's some independent reviews on utube as well.
    I scoped it out a little bit at my local store, seemed like a decent machine.
    Consumables and parts, that's where the rub may come. Lots of online places sell the stuff cheap.

image.png

cederholm likes this.

5. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Better off buying a used name brand. For replacement part availability in the future. What happens 5 or 10 years from now for replacement parts? Most of the MIG wire feed mechanism in all welders is designed to be replaced.

cederholm likes this.
  6. I am a weldor (operator)/fabricator if you are going to buy a welder (machine) save your money and go with a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart (Miller's cheaper line).
    Parts and service are readily available.

gimpyshotrods and cederholm like this.
  7. What Robert said.^^^^

gimpyshotrods and cederholm like this.
  8. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My only experience with Harbor Freight machinery / equipment stuff, replacement maintenance parts are non existent. As far as welders, I bought a Miller and have never looked back. Buy a good one, it'll last you your lifetime, with no down time.

cederholm likes this.
  9. dylan60

dylan60
    from ny

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

more important than that, you probably won't need any service. the only thing I have replaced on my Lincoln are the tips, wire and gas. I've had it 15-20 years or so.

11. trad27

trad27

I know the whole HF consensus here and believe the same but was there for some consumable junk and checked out the Vulcan line and was really surprised, looked well made and third party reviews look surprisingly good. Any one play with one yet now that they’ve been available since this thread started? Asking for a friend...

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the 15-years of owning my Miller, aside from consumables, I have had to replace the handle on the torch.

I dropped a cylinder head on it.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I worked for six years in a fruit juice and apple sauce plant doing the maintenance parts purchasing and keeping track of them . Our maintenance department had all Millers and they got use hard and the conditions were hell for harsh as the not so bright clean up crew workers might spray one with water if it was in the way of what they were washing down.
    That said the reason we preach buying a Miller, Lincoln, Hobart or ESAB (too spendy for most of us) is that when you do go in for repairs or parts you can get repairs or parts. They might tell you "damn guy, that one so old we can't get parts for it any more" but they won't laugh their ass off while telling you that you have to take it back to HF to get it fixed because they are no parts available to fix it in the US. The bargain isn't a bargain unless you can readily get consumables and repairs for it. As some said a used name machine is a much better option. Word around here is that this year's Hobart is last year's Miller. I can't put any credence to that though. Normally Hobarts are sold though AG related stores rather than welding supply stores. That gives them a second market in town besides the welding supply.

MMM1693 likes this.
  14. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

About 6-7 years ago before my son got a good welder, he needed to repair his cement mixer while I was visiting so we went to Harbor Freight and bough they're cheap Chicago electric stick rod welder. I can't review any of their other welders but this one would not even strike a good arc. I think I could shuffle my shoes on the carpet and touch someone and generate more of a electric spark. Took it back and had the neighbor weld up the mixer. I did notice that they changed brands and this has got to be an upgrade