Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many cars do you have and how many is too many?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jleavesl, Jul 11, 2008.

1. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

We'll Since my last post on this thread , over 2 years ago, I've rid myself the 2 nice scouts & an old race car chassis but I I added a 1953 210 club coupe carcass. Also for my boy's 13th birthday , I shocked him with a sweet OT 2nd gen Z/28 I'd cleverly hidden for 2 months. A Sunday school teacher when I was 8 bought it new & 3 other pals have owned it over the years. Enjoying every minute we squeeze in together working on it as I oversee his work & teach him more car guy skills. That ones his baby & he's working & acquiring the stuff it needs to be finished. It's gonna be next to impossible for me to have less than 3-4 old cars around I reckon. Same goes for grand pa & son. The neat thing is all 3 of us share well & it's good for anyone of us to get them out often & drive them regularly so they don't deteriorate sitting around. As I said a "horrible affliction". This car hobby. I wouldn't have it any other way. Flux

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  2. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gosh, I feel like a real piker here. Aside from the daily drivers and trailers, I have three.
    1. My avatar which I've owned for about 12 years-has a 327-300 with TH350.
    2. My nearly done '37 Chevy coupe w/ SBC and T-5. It is in the assembly stage.
    3. My not anywhere near done '54 Dodge C1 B6 pickup. It, currently, is in several hundred pieces not including nuts and bolts. It will retain the 230 inline 6 flathead with a T5.

3. As long as the bills are paid,there is a roof over your head & food on the table and no one is doing without the sky is the limit. HRP

4. eddie1

eddie1

Currently 4 which, post-divorce, is 2 too many. Had to sell the house & move into a townhouse with parking for just 2. I have one hidden in the back of the warehouse at work & one outside in the parking lot at work. Working on getting rid of 2 of them right now.

5. Just re-visited this thread, and realized my number is creeping up again. Back up to 6 now, with the addition of the Merc and the project RPU stored in the barn. Have a buddy who thinks that I NEED to own the 1920 Dodge touring car he has for sale. I have resisted temptation so far. Apparently, I am also colllecting engines now. Have one engine for the project, two others without destinations, and one more that I need to get out of my friend's garage in Oregon. Haven't run out of barn space yet, so must not be too many.

Old wolf and flux capacitor like this.
  6. I justify it this way. Like some one mentioned earlier Stamp collectors cant have too many. And they certainly don't put the collected stamps on letters and mail them. And Arrowhead collectors cant have too many. and they don't put their sharpened rocks on arrows and shoot them from a bow. The same with a car collection its not necessary to do anything with or to them to enjoy and derive pleasure from just collecting & owning vehicles you like. And as long as nobody is doing without or suffering then any one should have as many as the want. No such thing as too many. Same as a girl being too pretty or having too big of hooters.

7. triman62

triman62

Nothing is more relaxing for me than working on old cars, so I have 6 cars, 6 trucks,and 8 parts cars. I also like to ride and build motorcycles. I have 4 Harley's, and 16 Triumph's, hence my user id. I rarely sell anything, some of these I've had for 40 years. Still got the first Triumph a 72 Bonneville bought in 78, and my 57 Harley panhead bought in 1980. I was into mopar muscle back then but I did sell them, I wish I had them back all the time, probably why I don't like to sell anything now. I will be building another storage shed next spring, the cars and trucks are spilling out into the yard right now. IMG_1119.JPG

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  8. Never enough, Never too many!! I have 5 classic/hot rod/customs + my two diesel pickups for transporting & two other trucks & a motorcyle as well...It should have been one more, but I arrived to pick up
    a 53 Ford F1 & found out it didn't have a VIN tag!

triman62 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  9. Rmvr53

Rmvr53

ummm...29?

5 Jags (3 early XJ's, Mk10 limo and 69 E Type), 5 Triumphs (all Spitfires), 4 Bugs, 2 Lotus Europa's, 67 MGBGT, 74 Porsche 914LM (Cream-cicle), 64 Cortina, 58 Country Sedan, 61 Club Victoria, 3 Zink Formula Vee's, 68 Zink VSR Sports Racer, then the drivers - 2005 F150, 2000 Subi, 99 E150 98 Jeep. I think that's all. Admittedly, other than the drivers there are only 9 that aren't designated "future projects"... but who's counting...

10. Like someone posted. I wish I had them all back. Its a mental thing for me. I buy something because I like it more than I liked the money that I paid for it. And in order for someone to buy from me they have to pay a amount of money that I would like more than I like that item. And most times when you do sell a vehicle or item you soon spend the money and then don't have the vehicle or the money. So you get to where you become a never sell anything hoarder. Now I do have lots of vehicles and other stuff I dont even like they where freebees or auction purchases that where purchased for a pittance. I have no problem selling parts from them or selling them to the scrap man. I had a collection of 55 and 56 ford 2 dr's a Z28 Camaro and a couple of pickups I did sell for a lot less than I normally would have. We where wanting to buy the house and two acres where we now live. We already owned the shop and store building and 1 acre next to it. So I sold the vehicles and most of my cows in order for us to be able to pay cash when we purchased this place. Debbie wrote a check for the full purchase price. Left us with $280 in the checking account. We could have borrowed the money however we try to avoid debt like we would the Plague.

11. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I don't count the daily' s.
    I have 2. And I think 7 is to much. I used to want 10. A solid 10. But I've spoke with alot of older guys recently who regretted having so much. If you can't finish a car, your just doing this backwards.
    65 Buick Skylark hardtop
    55 Packard Clipper hardtop

I met a guy last week who had 3 mint cars in his garage. No cars in his drive way, nice house, real nice guy. Sold me an Engine because he needed space in his backyard because he was building a swimming pool.

&

I just met a guy today who chose his cars over his wife. He had over 15 cars, book and model airplane collection. He was also wearing a robe at 11:45 am.

I say if you can compartmentalize it right. And you are not going broke while collecting, and neglecting your love ones, do it.

If you find yourselve in a robe at 11:45 am with more projects than finished cars holding no tools, than....

If you are taking care of business and your family is eating and healthy do the dammthing!!!

Put God 1st, so you know everything else's place.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Algoma56 and Old wolf like this.
  12. I posted this over two years ago and I now still have two cars and looking to either build or buy another. When I turned 70 I realized I need to keep moving forward not backwards. Everyday is a gift now and I want to take advantage of them. Hot Rods To Hell!:p My wife says I still act 16. I guess that is a good thing.:cool:

j3harleys and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. j3harleys

j3harleys

I am down to 2 but I'm thinking of letting another one go. My wife and I have had several big changes in our life this year. We both just retired, both developed new health problems, and are down sizing and moving to a new home in a smaller town. My wife really wants to keep her car and I want to keep mine so I bet you can guess which one were keeping. I know that every body on HAMB will be thinking I'm making the wrong choice but We have discussed many times 20170606_220909.jpg John's Deuce (117 of 20).jpeg and it's killing me but we have decided that's the best thing for us. But on the bright side my son has a couple 32's , A's ,T's, and I can Go get what ever I want anytime.

fordflambe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. ...they say if you have an empty space in your garage/building, you need another car,..
    I'm gonna try to live with an empty spot for awhile and see if I like it, not to say I don't have other cars sittin outside already that could fill that spot,...
    ^^^ctl1932ford...I totally agree with you.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I've been cutting down....now I have my 59 truck and 62 Chevy II, and the bread truck, and a 58 GMC bus, and some later model that I'm still working on getting in my name. And my wife is down to three.

So I've been watching cl, I have two lined up that I just have to buy. Ugh.

16. Mike

Mike

I may have posted this here before, but here goes anyway.
    Cars are like screwdrivers and 9/16 wrenches, you can have enough, but never too many.

17. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Just have 2 project cars that I count as keepers although I believe they will go away.
    Used to part out 6-10 cars a year but cannot do that anymore so I still look but buy less.
    I have gotten to the point where if I am not going to work on something in the next year I get rid of it.
    Bought a lot of vehicles from people who stashed them away for years until they finally realised they would never get to them.
    My avatar never even made it home,sold it last week.

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_2693.JPG I have too many. I bought the '63 'Riviera 3 years ago, thinking it and the '59 T'bird would be good retirement projects. Then we unexpectedly sold our '49 Pontiac convert, and having a big pile of money, I bought the '34 Roadster. So, there are those three, the '51 Pontiac wagon, the '48 Diamond T, my '76 GMC dually, and my daily driver '06 Merc Milan. My wife just got Chrysler 300C, AWD with a Hemi, which both love. We've got two vintage campers and a wood Chris Craft runabout that needs attention. Too mu ch stuff.

fordflambe and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  19. My hoard doesn't owe me a penny. over the years ive sold more dollars in scrap and cores than the entire lot has cost. Not to mention the profit ive made selling some and the parts ive sold. several years back when scrap was high I sold $50,000 in scrap in one year. My car hobby hoarding addiction has always made us a bit of money. there is a rusty hulk of a 53 ford I purchased at a estate auction for $5 and I have sold over $300 in parts from it. The hood hinge air boxes where in great cond. And sold to a HAMB member on the west coast. I never did have the unrealistic dream of restoring anything or having a show car. My paint and body skills are marginal at best. I can manage a thirty footer. My goal is to have fun and enjoy what I do. What other folks opinion of what I ought to do doesn't effect me one bit. As long as the wife is on board its all Ok. Many times when I was gone on the truck. Debbie would go to auctions and buy stuff for the hoard.

Donuts & Peelouts and triman62 like this.
  20. Mo rust

Mo rust

I have a few and it seems to grow about one a month.

32 three window -350
    31 roadster - 396 32 frame
    31 roadster - flathead 32 frame
    63 meyers manx dune buggy
    and the rest are projects
    3 31 coupe bodies
    2 31 roadster bodies
    31 sedan
    31 pickup cab
    31 sedan dragster
    29 coupe
    29 phaeton body

21. triman62

triman62

No wonder I can't find any early Ford iron down here, you got the market cornered. Nice collection.

Mo rust likes this.
  22. Johnny:eek:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  23. gtokid70

gtokid70

Well at the moment its five was seven I don't like uneven numbers so I need one more. I'm shooting for one of each. A hot rod, custom, classic and muscle car. So far a 57 Ranchero (custom) a 64 New Yorker (classic) a 70 GTO convertible (muscle) my daily drivers 10 lincoln Mks twin turbo AWD and 06 Ford Superduty. Still need that hot rod. I'm working on it

Sent from my SM-A520W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. I'm down to two now. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  25. topher5150

topher5150

About a year or so ago I picked up a parts car in Detroit and this old timers collection would put most of you to shame. He had a large garage area with about 7-8 cars and so many parts it was hard to walk through. Then in the next building he had about a dozen more cars and that was half his collection that he still had

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only two at the moment--wife's 55 had since 77 and a 40 coupe plus two daily drivers--all 4 are black! Lots of cleanup required--looking for the next one

27. egads

egads

Too many? Not enough? Just plain crazy? Erin's Pix 2011 187.JPG

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

66 Suburbans look great in black.

20160108_135441.jpg
    Oh yeh, forgot, needs paint (black) hint hint.

29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Kind of old thread. But at times I've had 4 at one time,not counting race car,right now 2,my every day Magnum an my old 28A hotrod. I'm thinking the one or more cars worth of parts don't count ?even knowing there at least a hole project hotrod in just parts.

30. 4 HAMB type vehicles (37 ChevyUte, 37 Ford Ute, 52 GMC Pickup, 52 Chevy Ute), 68 GTO, 88 F-250, 06 GTO, 08 Ford Edge, 15 Wrangler, 16 Ford Explorer. Add in a 17 motorhome, and that makes 11 total vehicles. Good thing I have a big garage.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

flux capacitor likes this.