Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Arc welding in the bright sun.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Oct 30, 2017.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just welded my porch railing out front. I couldn't get a hood with a dark enough lens to see the puddle until I put on sunglasses under the hood. And I have a few hoods.
    Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I'm not sure if I have welded much in the bright sunlight.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

My problem is always the opposite.I cant get enough light on the workpiece to tell where to put my stick.

Mr48chev, RMONTY, hidez57 and 3 others like this.
  3. kelzweld

kelzweld

Didn't have the sun light coming in the from the back of your hood? If so that makes it hard to see.

ibcalaveras likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The bright sunlight will not effect the welding lens required darkness.
    It will help you see your work easier for old eyes :D
    It will seem brighter than usual as you are likely used to welding indoors.
    Your eyes will naturally have a hard time going from bright sun to welding.

I use a #9 lens setting for pretty much everything and set it to #10 for outside.

I’m using an auto darkening helmet which has to have the sensitivity dialed down to function outside in the sun.

You did the right thing by adding a pair of sunglasses, a lot of welders who work outside wear them all the time so that there isn’t such a drastic change from looking around and then transitioning to the welding arc.

I did so also in my outdoor welding days. :cool:

Jugornot and j-jock like this.

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Probably a little of both. The sun was right over me and when I leaned over I'm sure it glared in. Also coming from bright sunlight my eyes didn't have time to adjust. Next time I will find some even darker sunglasses.

6. Welding with the sun behind me has always been a bit of a problem, but it has become more prominent now that I am old and my eyes are slow to focus.
    Even with an auto darkening helmet, I still have to line up my work so that the sun is not at my back, and that the sunlight isn't shining into the helmet. I also have to make certain that I am not blocking the sun shining on my work..
    Getting old sucks.
    Bob

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Getting old may suck, but it sure beats the alternative.

slim38 likes this.
  8. kelzweld

kelzweld

Welding with the sun coming in the back of your helmet is a problem for everyone I've worked with in the field. As a quick fix throw a rag or towel over your head blocking off the back of helmet. Some hoods, like pancakes, are fitted to your face I believe to eliminate this back light.

9. That's what I do, but I didn't want someone to comment that it improves my looks.
    Bob

10. You need light?

Ben

ibcalaveras and Crankhole like this.
  11. HEY, that is my line:p. Only 81 so don't know about that "getting old" stuff.

And I never learned to weld.

Ben

12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Most prolly know this but for mig welding you can buy a little flashlight deal that goes on the gun. I've only used mine once but seemed to work/help a lot.

13. A few months ago I had cataract surgery on both eyes,heck I can now see to weld again.

The last time I did some mig welding before surgery I laid a beautiful bead,the only problem as it was 3/8" of a inch away from where it was needed. HRP

14. jackalope

jackalope

Didn’t see it but if it was an auto darkening helmet the lens may not have flipped to the darker shade due to malfunction or bad batteries. If it was a regular old hood I can’t help. I know the autodarkening hoods don’t like sunlight at all.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. indyjps

indyjps

I have a hood that atraches to tje back of my helmet thats great for blocking sun. Was intended to keep berries off your neck and hair.

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Getting old sucks but it's not so bad when one considers the alternative.

I've done a lot of outdoor welding. If I can't put something up to shade me, I tape a piece of leather welding apron to my helmet to keep the sun out.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what I use, when I cannot avoid being backlit:
    [​IMG]
    You can get cheap versions on Amazon, but I'd put a known good glass lens in it. You can get them auto-dark, too.

j-jock likes this.
  18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well,----As an old pipefitter welder, here's how we cured that problem. We called it a "Pancake hood". When welding pipe in all positions in the ditch, the sun would sometimes be from the back of your head.
    We would take a light weight piece of fiber or wood material about 10 inches in dia., cut a 2 inch wide slot in center, adapt a solid goggle to it with shade #10 lens, adjust the band to fit your head, & it would keep any rear light completely free, to concentrate on your job.-----Now that was easy---HUH?

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell I have to take things out in the sunlight to weld them but I don't weld or cut in my tinder dry old wood garage anyhow.
    I have had the same problem with the sun from behind and usuually work under a blue tarp bungied to hooks on my garage and my gantry that I pull engines with.
    They do have capes like this that fasten on with velcro https://www.bobthewelder.com.au/Helmet-Nape-BIG-RED-Leather.html
    A pant leg out of an old pair of jeans cut to fit and tucked in the band would probably work to block the sun from the back though.

20. I try to take my project into the sun. Its easier for me to line it up there. The auto darkening helmet does help a lot though.

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

Which auto dark lenses do you guys like and where do you get them? mine is 2x4

22. SS327

SS327

I try to always weld indoors or early evening, I can't take the sunburn on my face anymore.

Denny

23. jackalope

jackalope

Use sunscreen spray like you would if you were on the beach. Keep a bottle with my cart and in my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app