Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Nice. Good luck

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Fiddle Picker, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Go Tony Go Tony Go Tony

3. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

You should share your photos from our trip to Ohio.

4. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Why is Dionne Warwick in my head? Go Tony Go!

5. allwilly

allwilly

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Letting someone borrow an engine is the ultimate sacrifice. Hats off to Russ for this.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Could be worse, it could be Free Bird!
    Here ya go.

Fiddle Picker, loudbang and Floater03 like this.
  8. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Pfft...

Attached Files:

9. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

awesome to have this thread back!

Dog_Patch, Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  10. welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I've been down that " thrash to make the points race" road. Thanks for taking the time to post some pics. Good luck to you.

12. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Showing up for points is where it's at!! 10 races in the SEGA schedule, you can take any 9 for your final points total. Show up that's 20pts, 2 qualifying runs that's another 10pts. Those 9 races give you 270pts and that's not even winning a round! Win a few rounds and your in the mix in any class!!

Floater03, Dog_Patch, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  13. wrench9

wrench9
    from Canada

Thanks for getting this thread up and running again I missed it when it was locked down. I also run a 392 hemi that is pushed hard it is great when everyone shares their experiences and problems sometimes saving others in the same or similar circumstances time and problems from occurring down the road , we all learn . I have followed this thread from the start good luck in your last race and I my hat is off to your buddy Russ who lent you his motor gotta say he has a lot of faith in you. These old 392 aren't getting any easier to find.
    Good luck and keep us informed

14. savannahDan

savannahDan

Are you staying in A/Gas with the borrowed engine?

n/m, if you're going for points you'd stay in A/G :confused:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    loudbang, Dog_Patch and Fiddle Picker like this.
  15. Hey do they have tools? A car lift? Asking for a friend .....

Thanks from one hemi hound to another. What cam are you running? This one has an Isky 505 flat tappet and I really don't want to break it in by pulling all the inside valve springs off. Time is short and that thing will be too hot to handle for hours. I'm tempted to break in the cam with both springs installed. 325lbs open.

Yeah points go with the driver so I'd get C/G points.

Nick Smithberg called months ago and told me to get a flight to Lima Ohio for Engine Masters Challenge. I never plan more than a week out so I forgot about it. Then it was like 2 days before the event and Nick says get a flight! We got a spare bed and an empty badge to get in. So in classic fashion I looked on a map and Toledo is close. Found a cheap flight for $250 and bought a ticket and rental car! Woooo hooo! The plane landed and I get the rental car and put in Lima Oh - 3 hours! What? Oh sheeeeeit - wrong airport Toledo - tomato - I'm in Detroit - turn up the tunes and roll.

I get there and the rest of the Gene Adams crew rolls in. Really smart guys each with a specialty. An EFI guy Andrew, header guy also Andrew - master TIG welder, Steve White the man in charge with all the catch phrases like "I'm so hungry I could eat the ass out of a skunk" Clause Lavoi who is building a Bonneville Hemi car and just another damn smart guy. Then some guy with a funny stack injection that moves up and down. Nick Southberg or something he was with his dad Barry Smithburg who could snore the paint off a wall.

Nick had some badges and he says "Who do you want to be?" well .........
    0AB07D18-53AE-40FC-9B76-83DDDC62A3EA.JPG

16. This has to be one of the coolest things I've been to. Its probably been posted somewhere else by now. Here's a few shots.
    IMG_6182.JPG IMG_6203.JPG IMG_6228.jpg IMG_6231.JPG IMG_6232.JPG IMG_6239.JPG

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like the coffee wasn't any good.
    What in the world is up with that cylinder head?

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Not many tools yet. I will be giving him mine when I get too old to do this stuff anymore.
    I may build my new shop at his place seeing as how he has 5 acres. No car lift and no shop yet. Sorry.

19. wrench9

wrench9
    from Canada

I am also running the isky flat tappet with 505 lift with a 112 lobe center.. I broke mine in with a set of 6005 isky springs 285 open but i prayed while i did it. It has lasted 7500 hard miles or so i have had it apart to check all is well. I was just above my comfortable open spring pressure for break in. I used isky lube , a good additive and oil and everything came out good. Good luck

loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  20. That is a John Kaase MEL engine where he dropped the valve seat into the cylinder to lengthen the runner - crazy!

Thanks - I'll tell my friend.

Sounds like we better pull the inner springs ......

Here's the dyno cell video:

Tudor, 402BOSSMAN, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Boy, that's a "no shitter", I know I've been asleep for a few years but WTF.

Cripes Tony, don't you at least have a Sunday Go To Meeting hat;)

22. dinglebarry

dinglebarry

One tip often over-looked, by youngsters, is pist on orientation. The left side of the engine is drivers side. Some ppl don't no that. Determine if your block/engine is left or right leaning. Hang the rod assm complete with wrist pin, bearing, rod bolt and nuts, assembled with the piston and rings a digital fish scale. Record weights, rotate parts as needed to achieve red neck balance. Match up the piston assm in 4 pairs of 2, install the pairs from front to rear with heavier piston on the right side. ( this is known as right leaning)
    The torque of the motor wants to lift the right side up with right leaning. Traction may me decreased on the r/r tire. Generally left leaning engines are much more expensive, and don't work so well

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  23. glrbird

glrbird

If you want to learn about thinking outside the box, follow John Kaase around. Last year he had a Y-block ford that they changed the intake passages from horizontal to vertical so he could use a SBC tunnel ram intake!

24. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

1-1/4" Thick "Head Gasket" sure seems like the "Spirit of the Rules"......the gray area seems to rule anymore.
    I applaud his effort but at the same token completely altered the head from its intended design.

Dog_Patch, Tudor and loudbang like this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Unless it was very early in his career when he was not a famous Ford Guru, I don't think I ever met John Kaase, so I'm not trying to defend a friend.
    But to me, if the rules don't specifically forbid something, then use that opportunity if you can figger out how. Gene Adams did a similar thing with the variable length injector stacks on that hemi.
    And that applies to more than engines, it is applicable in many areas of our lives.

Dog_Patch, Quain Stott and Floater03 like this.
  26. allwilly

allwilly

Quain Stott, Floater03 and Tudor like this.
  27. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

It wasn't Gene's idea, I've been sitting on it for 4+ years and finally had an opportunity to build it. Luckily the rule listed was simple - Unlimited. We have worked together for the past 7 years so he has been a great mentor to me. Either way it was fun to showcase ones abilities and see what others brought to the table. Gonna miss the contest, rumor is this was the last year.

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Worked for Smokey!

29. Was the deck height the same and they destroked it by the thickness the head was protruding into the cylinder?

loudbang likes this.
  30. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

No, the 1-1/4" thick "gasket" allowed him to build a new combustion chamber by making it flush again to the deck.. It bolted to the block in the same manner.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.