Register now to get rid of these ads!

History La Cucaracha (Isky T). Every pic, ever.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gamlebilrokker, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Here is one more from about 0.38 min:

And here is that SEMA 50th Anniversary video that shows it driving around (on those wrong sized tyres). The guy interviewing Ed is annoying though, Isky is an elder, and dude talks with him like I talk with my 1,5 year old son.

And since we drifted off to videos anyway, and it's my therad here is a couple more videos of Isky talking stuff that I enjoy:

From about 7.40, though Stu Hilborn is talking before him, so the whole video is worthwile.

And my favourite video of Isky talking hot rods:

Thanks for the pics @HEMI32 !

And some other sources say it cost him four bucks. This is (as far as I am concerned) not the first T Isky ever owned, but the second, maybe that story goes for the first one? Who knows. There is more info on it that is confusing, dude in the video says car has been built in 37, but some other sources say he got it 1938 and according to Isky himself it's been fitted with a V8 by 1940 or so. Also, some sources claim that it was built with a 1932 engine first, but according to the 25th anniversary article in Hot Rod the '32 engine came in first after he blew the original.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Joe Blow, chryslerfan55, Paul and 4 others like this.
  2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

You just have to understand ED, I have lunch with him most every day and at 96, while still sharp on cams and most every weekend is shuffled to one event or another, He does not have the same passion about the car as everyone else does. I was around when the deal was happening along with others, Ed saw it as money to help with paying some tax bills, nothing more, nothing less

3. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

I’d prefer he or his family would keep it, simply because I can’t afford it. I don’t think it belongs in a museum (it belongs on the street getting the living crap beaten out of it and racing every weekend), but then at least it would be unobtainable and I could sleep way better.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    stanlow69 likes this.
  4. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

It will be up for bid at the Peterson auction in Feb, save you nickles.
    for the radiator cap as explained by Isky at lunch today, the cap piece was made by Jim Adkins (partner with Lou Senter "Ansen") at Poly Tech High. Jim wanted to sell his car a knew he could get more if he parted it out and Isky grabbed the skull piece for $2. It was a common piece made in the metal shop foundry although rare in todays world

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It would not surprise me if his car reached a quarter million dollars. It should sell for quite a bit more. A truly iconic car with lots of history. I have always liked this car, I have a picture of it I ordered that hangs in my garage. Read my tag line below.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here is another picture Scan0474.jpg from Hot Rod magazine.

7. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I hope It goes to a great home ... I understand he also has Duffy Livingstons roadster. I have worked with Duffy's daughter for many years. She told me she tried to contact Wayne about driving it one last time .. Don't know if she ever got a response.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Fordors

Fordors

In all the times I have looked at pictures of this car I never noticed the low drag link, in fact it is below the split wishbone. One photo shows a steering arm, (looks like it could be flat stock) welded to the bottom yoke of the spindle.
    Great car with stellar history. The current caretaker/sales agent- not so much. Somehow the guy bothers me. JMO, naturally your mileage may vary.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Hyfire

Hyfire

So, it was said this car would be sold off... what ever happened?

Is it being sold? Is Ed keeping it???

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. funeral

funeral
    from Phoenix

Any know what the wheel base is on this beautiful roadster

11. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

The pic in the original post of Ed's camping trip to Big Bear is common but I'm not sure these have ever seen the light of day. They were for sale on Ebay, from a private collection a while back. Mark Craven's (engineer, Bonneville racer, Idlers CC member and Ed's friend) name was on a lot of the pics - which included numerous pics on the salt. He passed in July of 2014. Assuming these were his but don't know that for a fact.
    Big Bear:
    s-l1600 (49).jpg s-l1600 (48).jpg s-l1600 (47).jpg s-l1600 (46).jpg s-l1600 (44).jpg s-l1600 (45).jpg
    Other:
    s-l1600 (61).jpg s-l1600 (60).jpg s-l1600 (59).jpg s-l1600 (58).jpg

Stogy, Anderson, rod1 and 13 others like this.
  12. Squablow

Squablow

Those are great, I certainly never saw them before.

Stogy and Joe Blow like this.
  13. Never2low

Never2low

Now that's what I call value added content!
    Nice job @Joe Blow!

Stogy, TerrytheK and Joe Blow like this.
  14. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@Joe Blow thanks for those pics. I love Isky's T.

Stogy and Joe Blow like this.
  15. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Thanks guys.

Stogy and rod1 like this.
  16. noboD

noboD

Haven't seen it written here but the car is in Speedy Bill's museum for at least 3 years.

Stogy, TerrytheK and HEMI32 like this.
  17. I purchased those Mark Cravens "Isky" photos + others from the collection

Attached Files:

GuyW, Stogy, jebbesen and 6 others like this.
  18. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Fantastic! A historian like yourself is where they belong.

Stogy and TerrytheK like this.
  19. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're right, and there is a thread about that elsewhere on the HAMB. Here's the link:
    Folks Of Interest - Isky Roadster at Speedway Museum | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com)
    These aren't nearly as cool as the historical photos that have been posted, but I did snap some pics of the car when I visited the Speedway museum a couple years ago. It was an awesome experience to see it close-up and in person.
    Photos taken at the Museum of American Speed, July 2021:

DSC_4708_1000.jpg
    DSC_4710_1000.jpg
    DSC_4711_1000.jpg

DSC_4717_1000.jpg
    DSC_4718_1000.jpg
    DSC_4719_1000.jpg

DSC_4886_1000.jpg
    DSC_4887_1000.jpg

DSC_4888_1000.jpg
    DSC_4889_1000.jpg

Stogy, HEMI32, lurker mick and 3 others like this.