Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ‘50 shoebox 302,C6 insert

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 4rod, Oct 29, 2017.

1. 4rod

4rod

Hey hammers
    Been awhile since I’ve posted...I’ve got a ‘50 2dr shoebox, 302, currently has the original trans. 3 speed on the column, that sat behind the flatly. I found a FSB bell that would mate to the 3 speed tranny.
    My question, I got a C6 auto and I’m going to put it in. Yes I’ll have to shorten the drive line, yes I’ll have to modify the tunnel, last yes I’ll have to make, or mod the crossmember for the trans.
    Anyone put a C6 in a shoebox? How much did you have to cut out. Will the original split bench seat still work sitting over the tunnel?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Are you willing to give up the horsepower required to operate that transmission?

Clay Belt and Hnstray like this.
  3. 4rod

4rod

Hmm didn’t think of that, is it really that much of a difference,from a C4?

4. A C6 can use up to 50 HP in frictional losses, a C4 is around 20... so do you really want to give away 30 HP? That's one big reason Ford quit making the C6. That's also why Ford trucks that used it weren't known for good fuel economy. If you're going racing with a power adder on your 302, a C6 won't need much if any upgrades compared to a C4, but that's about the only time to use one behind a small block.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Hnstray likes this.

5. 4rod

4rod

This is a daily driver, shoebox sedan, I’m not looking to break any street records,

6. Schreibs

Schreibs

Interesting thread, as I have a 50 that I was thinking of swapping out the flatty for a 302, just because I have way more 302 engines and parts available. I know some guys have swapped out a 51 or newer transmission tunnel, so I might have to take the plunge and go that route on mine. IMG_2244.JPG

4rod likes this.
  7. 4rod

4rod

Nice project,
    If I have a Flatty I’d stick with it as I’m driving locally, but couldn’t pass up a 302. The column shifter is interfering with the left valve over so I had a C6 to throw in. I know I’ve got to cut the tunnel just a matter of how much. As well as placement of a lokar shifter. I like the split bench seat.

8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i usually run finned aluminum heads on my shoeboxes and you have to trim a couple of fins if you use the column shift! probably have to do some bending or use a floor shift...

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Usually the C4 will not require messing with the tunnel in a 1949-50 especially if you are running the early small bell housing. Some places do offer a replacement 1951 tunnel you can use and it will clear the AOD.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Hnstray likes this.
  10. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I changed my 71 ford p/u 360 eng. 4 spd trans over to a C6 and the trans killed whatever little power I had to about 2/3 the power I used to have.

11. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I dunno how it is behind a 302, but behind my choked 390 it was slow. It’s reliable, and quick once you hit 35, but the time to get up to 35 was glacial

12. Put a SBC/powerglide in it & be done with it
    no cutting of anything.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool