Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 34 ford four door roof insert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott34, Oct 29, 2017.

1. scott34

scott34

My old soft roof is now rotten and leaking
    I like the idea of putting a steel insert from the roof of a wreck and tacking it in then covering it with a vinyl material and installing the trim ring so it looks original.
    as my car is a resto rod and I am trying to make it more functional , but still look original
    Any thoughts on what to use for an insert , from what , or why I should not do this , my idea is that a future owner may want to put a soft top back in
    So I'm not inclined to but weld it into place , marking it permanent
    Any thoughts
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 31aford

31aford
    from az

I got a roof from a early 1980's Volvo wagon it doesn't have any ribs so it will work like you are planning to do. Have not installed it yet just set it on the roof and it fits like it was made for it. I was also planning on covering it with the original vinyl.

Just Gary likes this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

You can do this. 1/4 baltic birch screwed to wood bows sealed at the edge(metal to wood) with automotive glass eurathane. DSC02814.JPG DSC02817.JPG DSC02818.JPG

4. Scott, I welded a top from a 70's VW bus inside the tack channel in my 36 tudor. It sits on top of the headliner bows and I glued 1/4" or so foam for under vinyl tops on the insert and then glued the original style black textured vinyl on to the foam and used the original rubber trim in the channel to finish it off. It looks original and made the car more solid ( I think). I did notice I still have a leak from somewhere, I'm wondering if they are drains for the channel like the ones for the windshield frame I missed. I got all the original FORD materials from Labaron Bonney? and the other stuff from the neighborhood upholstery shop. It looks so much getter than a filled top. Good luck, Mitch.

5. scott34

scott34

Thanks I will look for one at my local auto wreckers

6. scott34

scott34

7. scott34

scott34

8. scott34

scott34

Thanks for the lead , I will measure one up and see if it will fit a 34
    Cheers

9. Scott the crown on the bus roof was very close to my 36. I don't know if 36's are close to 34's on roof crowns/ contours. Happy hunting. Mitch

10. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Had a buddy who used a 70s Volvo wagon roof also. Near perfect crown. We made a template from plywood, one front to back, one across the center. Took these to local junk yard and found the Volvo. Welded 1/4 inch studs to bottom that fit into roof recess where tacks went. Covered it with Hartz cloth. I wouldn't recommend that. Pain in the ass to keep clean, and don't get car wax on it. I'd use vinyl.

Just Gary likes this.
  11. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to do my Anglia roof over the winter, and am doing it Rusty Rocket style. I have the original style rubber "T" style seal to go around the perimeter. I like the canvas roof to be just about flush with the tin part of the roof.

12. scott34

scott34

The Volvo roof seems to be a common donor for the 34
    I will check the wreckers and take some measurements
    Thanks Greg

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Make a template like greg32 recommends. It'll open your eyes to lots more options than just Volvo wagons & old longroofs that were crushed decades ago.

I did and found that an '86 Toyota minivan was a perfect fit for my '28 A sedan, it was smooth (no ribs) and came complete with a dome light. :cool: