Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical delete

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pufff, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Pufff

Pufff

done.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. Not sure about help with the Olds/Muncie hook up but such a project should be shared. How much more HAMB friendly can you get?
    And at 84 years! Bravo!
    How about a load of pics of this baby? Inside, outside and all about.

Pufff likes this.
  3. saltracer219

saltracer219

Check with Tony at Ross Racing, he makes everything you need

Pufff likes this.
  4. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I'm only 81 so he might not value a young punks advice but he could check out a Mcleod hydraulic throw out bearing as it uses flexible lines that can be routed through the bell housing in various places. 1960-62 Chevy trucks used a throw out arm on the passenger side of the bell housing so with him being a machinist this might give him some ideas. My first rod was a 34 Ford 5w with a 303 Olds engine that I couldn't afford the starter change over so drove it two years with no starter. It was my only way to school and work but I lived where one was never far from a hill or good slope so no problem.

5. I've done several SBC manual trans in early Fords including a '40 coupe with stock pedals. I moved the clutch fork and pivot to the pass. side and used a hyd. slave cylinder. If he adapted a SBC bell housing to the Olds engine it should be an easy job for him.

Pufff likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

64-67 Chevy II V8 belhousing has the throwout fork opening at 7:00 position.

Pufff likes this.
  7. I have one of those, but it didn't appear to fit with the '40 brake pedal either.

Pufff likes this.
  8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Is the 394 block the same pattern as the 400 ? lot of 442's had muncies in them...

9. saltracer219

saltracer219

No, not the same. 49-64 big Olds had a stand alone bolt pattern.

Pufff likes this.
  10. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

11. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

12. When I had the Olds. in the 37 Ford I used a throwout fork from a 1950 GMC 3/4 ton truck it was cast steel . Still using it with my Caddy To Muncie set up.

Pufff likes this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

Is that old Olds bellhousing from a manual, or an automatic?

Pufff likes this.
  14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is the 215 Olds motor in the roadster a stock one, or does it have some goodies in it? I see it still has the stock air cleaner cover that totally covers the carb and seals to the intake.

Pufff likes this.
  15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Looks like a hydramatic bell,
    Would a hydraulic throwout bearing work?

Pufff likes this.
  16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

If it were me I would stack adapters

An early olds steel ring to early ford trans then get a GM trans to early ford flathead adaptor that uses the ford throw out bearing /arm and use stock pedals

RICH B and Pufff like this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

That was a clever way to adapt the 4 spd to a 394. If there's an issue with the trans being too far away from the crank or too close, I would opt for Thirtytwo's suggestion above (I'm doing what he said with mine) But if everything bolts up fine and fits the clutch and pilot bearing then check with the hydraulic throwout bearing suppliers for a recommendation based on how much room you have left in there for a throwout bearing. They are way easier than mechanical linkage.

j-jock and Pufff like this.
  18. You have a adapter for a hydramatic you could not get a throwout arm in there . Try a hyd. throwout bearing.

Pufff likes this.
  19. kidcampbell71 and Pufff like this.
  20. Hats off to an octogenarian who is starting another build, and with a 4-speed to boot!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

lowroller1 and Pufff like this.
  21. csebern

csebern

I'm pretty sure that an adapter actually exists. I've seen it and I'm going to call the man I know that has it right now for you...

Pufff likes this.
  22. Pre1898

Pre1898
    from Saronville

Anyone ever used on of these units behind a 371 Olds and a Muncie trans ? Any feedback ???

23. Pre1898

Pre1898
    from Saronville

Thanks all I am aware that Tom King makes this unit but was curious what the feedback is from anyone who has his setup and is using it ?

24. SHARKO

SHARKO

Great pics of a cool project. 30 years ago I put a top loader Ford 4 speed in my 57 Olds using an Offy bellhousing which I think is still available, a rare 57 flywheel and an 11 inch Long type clutch with home built slave cylinder mount. 20 years ago I changed to a t-56 6 speed with a big block chevy pressure plate and another rebuild of the slave mount and new pedals. The, slave cylinder gets hot because its too close to the exhaust so maybe my dot 5 fluid boils. And I am older now and want a lighter clutch. So I am going to a hydraulic throwout bearing and a stock pressure clutch. I haven't been able to find any specs but 3200 lbs isn't needed. What weight clutch is stock for a half ton pickup?
    Do I want a Long type or a diaphram. Any suggestions are welcome. I live in Kansas City and would love to find the right counter advice live within a few hundred miles. Pat

Pufff likes this.
  25. sunbeam

sunbeam

Willcap 303-350MT adapter. or try to find a hydraulic throwout bearing that will fit.

Pufff likes this.
  26. v8flat44

v8flat44

Got no tech help , but years ago a guy i knew built a 40 truck with a J2 & 4speed. First ride was scary as the brakes failed & we stopped by shut'n er down in 2nd gear. That thing was FAST...... v8flat44

Pufff likes this.
  27. stik70

stik70
    from midwest

Speed Gems made a bell housing back in the day for olds to muncie trans IMG_20171204_133925556-3936x2952.jpg

F&J and Pufff like this.
  28. He is obviously a pretty crafty guy and seems to be very mechanically capable. I only wonder if that cable will hold up since there are fairly high forces working through it

j-jock and Pufff like this.