Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing black wrinkle finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2002p51, Oct 28, 2017.

1. 2002p51

2002p51

Does anybody know if it's possible to remove black wrinkle finish from aluminum valve covers?

2. Drew,Were they factory wrinkle finished or did you spray them? HRP

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  3. slowmotion

slowmotion

Shouldn't be too hard, chemically or abrasively. A polishing would be in order afterwards I'd imagine.

4. I know it sounds nuts but if there is someone in your area that does the dustless blasting that will strip it. HRP

5. 2002p51

2002p51

Yep, watching a TV commercial for Dustless Blasting is what got me thinking about this. :)

6. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

If it is paint use spray can paint remover.
    If it is powder coat it will probably require abrasive blasting which may, depending on the blast media, mark the base metal.

7. 2002p51

2002p51

That's why I'm thinking about doing this. I tried to find these in a polished finish but black wrinkle was the only way they were available. I'd much rather have them polished.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Find someone with a blasting cabinet and have them stripped that way.

Then they can be polished

9. 2002p51

2002p51

[​IMG]

These are the valve covers I'd like to polish.

10. 2002p51

2002p51

Factory finish, Danny.

11. squirrel

squirrel

When I got my old Weiand blower intake, it was partly covered with some black stuff. I think it might be powder coat? Anyways...it still has some, I could not remove it completely. I used glass bead blasting.

I would start with lacquer thinner, then try paint stripper, and if that doesn't do it, try the blasting.

12. The dustless blasting will remove the wrinkle finish without roughing up the aluminum,media blasting will make it more time consuming when you start polishing. HRP

2002p51 likes this.
  13. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I would also look into soda blasters in your area.
    I did the aluminum intake on my Hemi that had many layers of paint on it.
    When they were done, it looked like a fresh casting, and they only charged me $40!
    KK

14. mopar57

mopar57

I have had luck with oven cleaner on anodized items.

15. southerncad

southerncad

Call me weird, but I like em' the way they are!:cool:

JeffB2, RoddyB34 and Montana1 like this.
  16. 2002p51

2002p51

Not weird at all, lots of people like 'em. I would like 'em too on the right engine/engine compartment colors. I just see what I'm building as looking better with polished covers.

17. I would try a chemical like aircraft stripper first. Oven cleaner will etch the aluminum if left on the part to long, making the polishing job more difficult.

2002p51 likes this.
  18. If you intend to have someone else polish them ask their advice before doing anything.

Charlie Stephens

19. Any chance you could paint them a color you like and clean off the paint on the polished part with a thinner moistened rag?

Charlie Stephens

20. If it's powdercoat (which I doubt), use a propane torch and a hand-held wire brush to remove it. For paint, you'll probably need to sandblast between the fins and around the lettering. Make sure you mask the oil fill spout and plug wire holders before blasting so you don't dull the finish. My experience is paint remover won't quite get all the paint because of porosity in the aluminum, not to mention being slow and messy. If you intend to repaint between the fins and lettering, leave what's there and just paint over it.

To prep the rest of the covers for polishing, use small surface conditioning discs (AKA Scotchbrite) to smooth them. Start with blue discs to remove any paint and semi-polish the metal, then follow up with gray discs. Example...

Alt  cover finish.jpg Alt  cover prepped.jpg Alt  cover start.jpg

Right to left, what I started with (paint, corrosion, small nicks and scratches), after prepping with discs, and the finish polish. I use 2" roloc-style discs with a $15 HF angle-head die grinder. Each step took about 15 minutes. After polishing many nasty-looking vintage motorcycle parts, this is by far the easiest/quickest method I've found.

2002p51 likes this.
  21. 2002p51

2002p51

I'd like to polish them myself.

22. 2002p51

2002p51

No, my preference would be completely polished with no color at all.

23. If that's the case, then I'd recommend glass-beading the fin/lettering areas as that will give a closer 'as cast' appearance while 'smoothing' any flaws from the casting process. Use the discs everywhere else, then polish.

24. Steve, most high production items that are wrinkle finished are powder coated,be it valve covers,motorcycle parts or patio furniture.

The shop Jimmy works at did a good bit of wrinkle finish for me when I was building Harleys. HRP

25. If it's powder, then the heat/wire brush method is the easiest way to remove it. Blasting is slooowww, and chemical removers are both slow and nasty messy....